Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I fancy a Quaife ATB Sierra diff!
AdrianH

posted on 16/4/12 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
I fancy a Quaife ATB Sierra diff!

Which for my driving could be a waste of money, but one of those never know until you try it things.

I do not wish to change the drum set-up so that is one reason for going this particular route. I am wondering how difficult it would be to remove the internals of a push in 3.92 open sierra diff and put one of these in side and get it set up correctly, is it a job one can do without special tools?

Although thinking about it, I could come up with a spring balance and lever arm to work out pre-load, I have DTI's, feeler gauges micrometers etc if needed. A quick measurement of the push in ends of my shafts came up with 26 splines and 30mm diameter so hope that is normal.

Anyone fitted one themselves have any tales to tell?

Anyone have one sitting around they would like to part with in a few months to give me time to save up?

Adrian

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

A1

posted on 16/4/12 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
im going to be fitting one in a couple of months, want a 3.6 ratio diff but has to be limited slip and theyre had to find too
Dopdog

posted on 16/4/12 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
I went for the standard viscous ford lsd and had it set for a lighter car, do you need the expense of the atb?
AdrianH

posted on 16/4/12 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Now you got me asking a question, I did not think you could adjust the viscous diff, but I guess you could drain it and fit a different viscosity fluid in side the sealed unit.

From what I have read it is the fluid that changes somehow after years of use that seems to stop them working, or, make people say they are no good.

I have two 3.92 open diffs one on car one off ready for another build. All my shafts are for drum brakes and rather then change the ends to lobro's, none of which I have so would have to purchase.

Perhaps it is when I search on ebay or general adds but the prices of Sierra Cosworth or other LSD's with shafts seem to be asking I could go a long way to the Quaife. As they do one for the Caterham them it would be as close as possible to any Kit car.

Adrian

[Edited on 16-4-12 by AdrianH]

A1

posted on 17/4/12 at 12:26 AM Reply With Quote
i like the idea of an atb cause they never lock, and with a bit of luck getting the whole unit will be lighter than standard. (fingers crossed)
that and a lifetime warranty!

AdrianH

posted on 17/4/12 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
I would not expect it to be lighter then an open diff, but certainly lighter then a Viscous LSD and the extra metal for lobro's.

Even then, I bet there is not much in it as it must have it's own internals adding to the weight.

Adrian

BaileyPerformance

posted on 18/4/12 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a Quaffe ATB in my sierra V8, will be swapping it out for a Jap diff soon...

done less than 2K miles

£450 if anyone wants it.

Cheers Dale.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
AdrianH

posted on 18/4/12 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
I could be interested, do you want to pm me a number and i will ring you will have lots of questions about it's set-up.

is soon in a month say to give me time to save or is it within days?

let me know in pm.

Adrian

ajw

posted on 19/4/12 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
sierra diff

Phil Jones Engines will pump up sierra ferguson viscous diffs for competition work. They are ok to bhp limit and suffer delay in locking. I am fitting a tian to a cosworth case with 4;4 c/pinion.Unless you have proper guages assembling a diff is quite difficult and may not last unless backlash and preload is correct. The info on assembly is on some web site ( cannot remember)
atomic

posted on 20/4/12 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
If have a 7.5" diff case and you rebuild your diff using the Timken bearings bellow, you can use a GM 7.5" LSD, for example a Eaton Truetrac 911A319

Bearings & Carriers
(SET45) LM501310-LM501359
LM501331
LM501349
Seals
224320 (X2)

even including shipping and import duty it will be a quite a saving. If you wish to get the whole kit then give Grason at mc2racing a call, he a good guy.
http://www.mc2racing.com/products/xr4ti/driveline/differentials/index.html

info on the install can be found here
http://www.mc2racing.com/tech/20081104a/index.html

[Edited on 20/4/12 by atomic]

charlie_pank

posted on 17/5/12 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a 7" 3.62 diff with viscous LSD inside with lobros for sale if you're interested...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.