Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Weller wheel wobble after powder coating?
rich201283

posted on 17/4/12 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
Weller wheel wobble after powder coating?

I have powder coated my weller wheels but when i have fitted them there seems to be wheel wobble.

I think this maybe due to the thickness of the powder coating where the wheel meets the hub, Should i remove the coating from the back of the wheel where it meets the hub?

Pdlewis

posted on 17/4/12 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
have you had them balanced again since the powder coat? as their is a fair chance the coat will have taken the wheel off balance

Build Photo Album

Updated 05/02/2009

maccmike

posted on 17/4/12 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
need balancing
loggyboy

posted on 17/4/12 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
I would defo remove the paint from the mounting face first.

I would assume they were balanced after refiting tyres, so unless they have thrown a weight off.

The only other thing would have been deformation when being baked, but thats highly unlikely.

bi22le

posted on 17/4/12 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
It sounds like the 'wobble' when tight but not moving otherwise you wold of said they were unbalanced or vibrating. If so I had exactly the same problem. . .

I noticed on one of my wheel sets that the silver coating did not allow the hub centre to go through the middle hole of the wheel. I think it just gives the studs extra support and helps it centre the wheel. You know the big hole surrounded by the whell nut holes. I just shaved the coating off back to ali and it was fine.

The bit I am talking about is the black part of the wheel in my avatar.

HTH

Biz

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

britishtrident

posted on 17/4/12 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
The wheels need proper balancing.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Slimy38

posted on 17/4/12 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
You need to skim the back of the wheel where it meets the hub, powder coat simply isn't flat enough to have as a mating surface.

I'd also recommend removing the powdercoat where the head of the wheel bolts/nuts sit, I've heard some horror stories about a supposedly torqued wheel bolt not staying in place because of the powdercoat.

You also need them balancing, you can't powder coat with a tyre on (the tyre would cook) and unless they put the tyre back on perfectly as it was it's going to be off balance.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.