Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Conflicting clutch & flywheel advice
ElvisDrivesAnMK

posted on 18/4/12 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Conflicting clutch & flywheel advice

I have an MK with a Focus ST170 engine mated to a type 9 gearbox. I had difficulty selecting reverse and 1st year and after a 2600 mile trip round France removed the engine and gearbox suspecting a worn release bearing. It currently has an LUK clutch (plate is an odd size of 208mm diameter) and dual mass flywheel. I've spoken to 3 suppliers about a suitable replacement. 2 of them advised a single mass lightened flywheel with a 215mm Pinto clutch (AP or Helix). However, the 3rd supplier advised that I should keep the dual mass flywheel as a single mass flywheel would probably result in increased vibration and possible future damage to transmission components. All suppliers were told that the use would mostly on public roads.

Comments? Single mass or dual mass flywheel?

Cheers.

coozer

posted on 18/4/12 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
1.8 zetec flywheel with a 1.6/1.8 Mondeo clutch plate & cover, Capri Ct133 release bearing.

That's what's in mine, no vibration problems.. maybe whoever's told ya about that wants to sell you some overpriced gear...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

snapper

posted on 18/4/12 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
That's advise given for the original instalation in a tin top.
An MK or any other kit car will be just fine as for more vibration, how could you tell, stiff suspension, wind noise, exhaust.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Dusty

posted on 18/4/12 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
The vibration was a big problem from about 1910 through to 2000 when all cars had the dreaded single mass flywheel. I can remember thinking there must be a better and perhaps slightly more expensive way to do this. I would gladly pay a grand every two years if I didn't have to put up with this vibration. I think that may explain the state of the teeth in this country. Thank the lord that some clever auto-engineer thought up the dual mass flywheel to save us all. Or perhaps not.
I'm just waiting for the day when they invent the triple mass flywheel so it can be really smooth and your local quick-fit centre can roger you for 1.5 grand annually. Small price to pay IMO.

[Edited on 18/4/12 by Dusty]

ElvisDrivesAnMK

posted on 19/4/12 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty
The vibration was a big problem from about 1910 through to 2000 when all cars had the dreaded single mass flywheel. I can remember thinking there must be a better and perhaps slightly more expensive way to do this. I would gladly pay a grand every two years if I didn't have to put up with this vibration. I think that may explain the state of the teeth in this country. Thank the lord that some clever auto-engineer thought up the dual mass flywheel to save us all. Or perhaps not.
I'm just waiting for the day when they invent the triple mass flywheel so it can be really smooth and your local quick-fit centre can roger you for 1.5 grand annually. Small price to pay IMO.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and whilst I do appreciate the art of sarcasm it's not particularly helpful! The bloke that advised me to keep the dual mass flywheel is trying to sell me less nor more so I don't see his motivation for me wrong advice

The dual mass flywheel is already on the car and it hasn't caused any problems that I know of so I guess the question is, go I keep the dual mass or spend £300 on a single mass lightened one??

Yours still confused,

Elvis

paulf

posted on 19/4/12 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
I would go to a scrapyard and get a used flywheel off A 1.8 for about £20 and fit the corresponding new clutch, the dual mass flywheel is about twice the weight and of no value in a kit car or even the original Mondeo.
Paul
quote:
Originally posted by ElvisDrivesAnMK
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty

Thanks for taking the time to reply and whilst I do appreciate the art of sarcasm it's not particularly helpful! The bloke that advised me to keep the dual mass flywheel is trying to sell me less nor more so I don't see his motivation for me wrong advice

The dual mass flywheel is already on the car and it hasn't caused any problems that I know of so I guess the question is, go I keep the dual mass or spend £300 on a single mass lightened one??

Yours still confused,

Elvis

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.