Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Inline OEM fuel pressure regulator - 3.0bar
se7ensport

posted on 20/4/12 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
Inline OEM fuel pressure regulator - 3.0bar

Fed up with the spikes I'm getting at idle with cheap aftermarket fuel pressure regulator, I'm looking for an OEM 3.0bar regulator that can be put in the fuel return line, there are lots of regulators that bolt to the fuel rail, but this won't work in my instance due to the DICE fuel rail I'm using on the Duratec. Which cars have them?

Thanks
Alex

britishtrident

posted on 20/4/12 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
Cars with in-tank regulators and no return line use pulse dampers in the fuel rail to smooth out the pulses.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Mr C

posted on 21/4/12 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Alex, perhaps take a look at some of the offerings from subaru, the oem impreza turbo applications are built into the fuel rail though the non turbo sport ones look like they are stand alone. There is a plethora of aftermarket high quality regulators avalable as well. They all tend to run at 3 Bar. For a locost approach try the numerous scooby forums for parts.

Hope that helps

Girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one

se7ensport

posted on 21/4/12 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info guys, ended up buying a FSE / Sytec adjustable one from Merlin at Castle Combe.
BaileyPerformance

posted on 21/4/12 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by se7ensport
Thanks for the info guys, ended up buying a FSE / Sytec adjustable one from Merlin at Castle Combe.

The FSE regs are poor, we have removed several in the past form customers cars, the problem is the fuel pressure can alter its self - you set it at 3.0Bar, run it, check and is changed. They are not as good as factory regs.
We use weber alpha fixed regs, available in 2.5/3.0/3.5/4.5 bar There is not normally a need to have an adjustable reg anyway, fit a fixed one and forget.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
se7ensport

posted on 23/4/12 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Thats not what I wanted to hear. My plan had been to use an OEM one as I don't need adjustable, 3bar will be more than enough for current and future needs, but I struggled to find one that doesn't sit on the fuel rail.

I haven't fitted the FSE one yet, it's sat in it's box waiting to go. Will look into the weber one as I don't want the same problem I'm getting now.

BaileyPerformance

posted on 23/4/12 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Thats not what I wanted to hear. My plan had been to use an OEM one as I don't need adjustable, 3bar will be more than enough for current and future needs, but I struggled to find one that doesn't sit on the fuel rail.

I haven't fitted the FSE one yet, it's sat in it's box waiting to go. Will look into the weber one as I don't want the same problem I'm getting now.

What problem are you having now? Mite be able to help.

Here is a link to a weber reg...

FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR BILLET 3 BAR WEBER ALPHA | eBay

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
se7ensport

posted on 23/4/12 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Crap idle, when looking at guage fuel pressure isn't stable. In addition I've got some 440 injectors on the way which are designed to run at 3.0 bar, I want to get everything 100% before rolling road session.

Thanks for the link, just bought the same one from Burtons as it'll be with me for Wednesday.

BaileyPerformance

posted on 24/4/12 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Crap idle, when looking at guage fuel pressure isn't stable. In addition I've got some 440 injectors on the way which are designed to run at 3.0 bar, I want to get everything 100% before rolling road session.

Thanks for the link, just bought the same one from Burtons as it'll be with me for Wednesday.

Humm... i would check the 12v supply to the fuel pump, should be within 1v or so of the battery voltage (13v at the pump minimum with engine running) And stable.

If the engine is naturally aspirated DO NOT connect the vacuum pipe to the regulator, leave if off.

Is the pump quiet? what pump have you got? i have seen this problem with crap Chinese pumps and/or incorrect size feed pipe.

We normally fit fuel pressure gauge close to the fuel rail when we dyno cars, if the pump and reg are up to the job the fuel pressure should remain the same from idle to full throttle full load.

se7ensport

posted on 24/4/12 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Sytec pump, all fuel hoses are off at the moment while I fit R9 spec in place of the R7 (not taking any chances), once it's all in place I'll measure the voltage and see how it runs on the new set-up. My current/old fuel regulator is a £20 chinese lump, pretty certain it isn't stable. I'll see how close I can fit the new regulator to the fuel rail.
ss1turbo

posted on 4/6/12 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
Why disconnect the vac line to the regulator? Makes no sense as it will (being manifold referenced) hold the pressure at 3 bar above manifold pressure (so the injectors will have 3 bar across them) with it in place. Remove the manifold reference it it becomes 3 bar referenced to atmospheric pressure, which will mean the injectors see between 3 and 4 bar pressure from inlet to tip. Add in a lumpy idle, and you've got the flow rate going all over the place and with 440's in there you need all the help you can!

I'd expect the fuel pressure to remain reasonably stable - should be moreso than the manifold vacuum as there should be some effective damping in the regulator. Too much and you get that weakening effect on rapid throttle openings.

Plenty of OEM Bosch regs out there with 3 conventional hosetails out there; most are 2.5bar, but some are 3bar. Look at vehicles from the 1980's running Bosch L and LE-Jetronic.

Long live RWD...

baz-R

posted on 5/6/12 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
i am also looking for a production car style petrol fuel pressure regulator that is easy to mount and has 8mm hose tails or somthing i can easyly get bits to pipe it up
mikey p

posted on 31/12/12 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
What was the final outcome of this? which regulator did you use?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.