Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Finishing New 2K Paint
Daddylonglegs

posted on 20/4/12 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Finishing New 2K Paint

Done loads of searching on how to finish the paintwork on the Locost but still not sure what to do, too much conflicting advice!

I painted it in 2K metallic and Pearl. Most of the paintwork came up OK and will be fine with a little buffing and waxing, but some areas are a little orange-peel and so I want to wet-flat it back and polish up.

I'm going to wet-flat using 1500/2000/3000 then compound but I am undecided between 3M, Meguairs and Farecl G3/G10.

What is the forum's concensus?

Cheers (bearing in mind cost of course, after all it is a Locost )

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

jossey

posted on 20/4/12 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
800 then 1200 till its smooth. Then Use rubbing compound then g3 then wax with maguires tech wax.

Thats the way I got the best result on my BMW 2k paint work.

There is alot of different methods to get similar results its all about what works for you and how good your last coat was.

Cheers

[Edited on 20/4/12 by jossey]

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sdh2903

posted on 20/4/12 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
BMW paint (if original) is very hard, 800 is a bit harsh for most paint. The most abrasive I would start with is 1200 then refine with 1500, 2000, 2500 keeping very wet and a little drop of soap in the water.

Have a look at meguiars 105 compound followed by the 205 polish, its not as aggressive a some compounds but if you flat it well you shouldn't need it.

Top it off with some collinite 476 wax and it will look great and last for a Summers use.

Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 20/4/12 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
BMW paint (if original) is very hard, 800 is a bit harsh for most paint. The most abrasive I would start with is 1200 then refine with 1500, 2000, 2500 keeping very wet and a little drop of soap in the water.

Have a look at meguiars 105 compound followed by the 205 polish, its not as aggressive a some compounds but if you flat it well you shouldn't need it.

Top it off with some collinite 476 wax and it will look great and last for a Summers use.

Follow that mans advice to the letter.

Some people can never handle the truth and always try to shoot the messenger instead of taking an honest look in the mirror (its always easier to blame another than to face reality), but secretly they wish they could grow a pair and be the messenger !!!

sdh2903

posted on 21/4/12 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Oh and when wet sanding back don't use a rigid sanding block always use a flexible sanding sponge, don't ask how I know!
Mr Noo

posted on 2/5/12 at 06:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
Done loads of searching on how to finish the paintwork on the Locost but still not sure what to do, too much conflicting advice!

I painted it in 2K metallic and Pearl. Most of the paintwork came up OK and will be fine with a little buffing and waxing, but some areas are a little orange-peel and so I want to wet-flat it back and polish up.

I'm going to wet-flat using 1500/2000/3000 then compound but I am undecided between 3M, Meguairs and Farecl G3/G10.

What is the forum's concensus?

Cheers (bearing in mind cost of course, after all it is a Locost )

Is it straight metallic or a basecoat and clearcoat?? I wouldn`t try flatting if its the former, you will sand through the metallic particles and the colour will change (seen it done!) If it is the former maybe bang a coat of clear over it and then work on that, if needed.
I use 3M and wouldn`t use anything else!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.