Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What a crap day :-(
ReMan

posted on 21/4/12 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
What a crap day :-(

1) Set out this morning for the "Metal Supermarket" to get some 1" sq and 5mm plate to make the mounting for the reverse box.
Got there and it's not open Saturdays, and the name and number had changed which is why i coulnd ring and check first

2) Filled the Terrano at the "cheap" ASDA whilst in Coventry
£98.50

3) Drove to Leicester in swimbo's Yaris (cheaper mpg) , to pick up a pair of front shocks for the Terrano (MOT next week)
They'd sent them out for delivery so had to wait for the van to get back
But picked up a new battery for the Yaris at a good price whilst there

4) Drove to Machine Leicester to buy a big jack to work on the Terrano
Opened the boot to put the jack in.......
Battery had tipped over and rolled around and spilled half it's acid into the boot. Feck! Panic!

5) Drove home quick braething in battery acid fumes as I imagined it disolving the Yaris
Once home stripped out the boot carpet, whick forttunaltly is rubber backed andf so only a bit had got ont the floor
Washed down the carpet and wetted down the remainder of the boot to neutralise as best I could and left it all open to dry, hopefully no lasting damage, well see once the carpets dry

6) Jacked up the Teranno, beautiifully and got off the wheel and front shock.
Attended to a bit of surface rust on the inner wing with Kurust stuff
Coverered it with underseal
Put down polythene on the drive and lathered the nearby visible chassis and underbody with old engine oil, because I can.
Heavens open and before I can get all my kit away the rain is washing all the dripped oil off the polythene and running all over the drive

So it's unlikely the MK will be at Stoneleigh for the frst time in 5 years
Unlikely the drive will ever clean and likely I'll be sleeping on the sofa
How did your saturday go?

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

SeaBass

posted on 21/4/12 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a bummer - I've had a great day working on my new toy - A Defender... then spending time with my son who's almost 2 at soft play.

JC

theduck

posted on 21/4/12 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Spent the morning in work

Popped to garage next door after work who kindly lent me se grab sockets

Then got home to be told I have a puncture on my daily drive

Then went to pick up a silencer and cycle wings for the robinhood

Sat in all afternoon watching the incredible hill and captain America in readiness for the avengers next weekend

austin man

posted on 21/4/12 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Nearly finished converting the T5 transporter into a campervan . Quite productive for me

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

ditchlewis

posted on 21/4/12 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
spent morning ironing

spent afternoon on the MK trying to make the lights work again with no luck.

wife complaining that im on here posting.

day could have been better.

ditch

nick205

posted on 21/4/12 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Emptied garage and shed of crap and hauled it to the tip in SWMBOs car, not mine.

Pasty for lunch followed by haircuts for my two lads.

Good so far, then started trying to fix SWMBOs no. plate lamps for MoT on Monday. Bulbs OK, fuse OK, loom between tailgate and car foobarred completely. PITA job tomorrow to rectify.

Curry and beer for dinner.

iank

posted on 21/4/12 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Got the donor running in preparation for stripping it down. Found battery was knackered. Realised wheels were in rather poorer condition than I'd hoped and are only good for build wheels. Few of the bits I planned to sell are cracked/broken so that's not good.

Went out to Nandos with the kids as the wife was away on a course.

Started stripping off a few bits and pieces from the donor. Couldn't find my torx bits so can't get the mouldy interior out and junked.
Other than that had a whale of a time.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

clairetoo

posted on 21/4/12 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Tried the new alternator belt for project Mx5 - fount it to be just a few mm short

Hatched a plan , made a slightly smaller alloy tensioner pulley and it now fits

Whilst the shed is nice and warm , machine a distributer blanking plug and dipstick hole blanking plug

Remove cover from Mx5 , open bonnet , lay out tools needed to fit alternator and other stuff......close bonnet , re-cover , sit and watch heavy shower for next hour

Two coffees later........uncover Mx5 , fit alternator , remove all six plugs , dig out TDC stopper ready to mark new bottom pulley ...........realize its nearly 5.20 , cover car again and dash inside for F1 qually

On and off - between the showers , its been a productive day

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

ashg

posted on 21/4/12 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
I spent all day filling 4 skips with dirt by hand from the footings of my new garage to be. my arms feel like jelly and my back is hurting. in 10 hours I will be doing it all again when they swap the skips for empty ones. Wish I could afford a digger but I have spent all my budget on concrete and skips :-(

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

owelly

posted on 22/4/12 at 12:28 AM Reply With Quote
Claire, you should have asked, I can do belts.....
AshG, I have a mini digger you can borrow. Just pop up here to Whitby......
Yesterday I spent 10 minutes looking at my plastic car before drinking coffee trying to stay awake whilst looking after the kids and now I'm back at work. I've been awake since 6:30am on Thursday. Need more coffee.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jerryscales

posted on 22/4/12 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
1) Set out this morning for the "Metal Supermarket" to get some 1" sq and 5mm plate to make the mounting for the reverse box.
Got there and it's not open Saturdays, and the name and number had changed which is why i coulnd ring and check first

2) Filled the Terrano at the "cheap" ASDA whilst in Coventry
£98.50

3) Drove to Leicester in swimbo's Yaris (cheaper mpg) , to pick up a pair of front shocks for the Terrano (MOT next week)
They'd sent them out for delivery so had to wait for the van to get back
But picked up a new battery for the Yaris at a good price whilst there

4) Drove to Machine Leicester to buy a big jack to work on the Terrano
Opened the boot to put the jack in.......
Battery had tipped over and rolled around and spilled half it's acid into the boot. Feck! Panic!

5) Drove home quick braething in battery acid fumes as I imagined it disolving the Yaris
Once home stripped out the boot carpet, whick forttunaltly is rubber backed andf so only a bit had got ont the floor
Washed down the carpet and wetted down the remainder of the boot to neutralise as best I could and left it all open to dry, hopefully no lasting damage, well see once the carpets dry

6) Jacked up the Teranno, beautiifully and got off the wheel and front shock.
Attended to a bit of surface rust on the inner wing with Kurust stuff
Coverered it with underseal
Put down polythene on the drive and lathered the nearby visible chassis and underbody with old engine oil, because I can.
Heavens open and before I can get all my kit away the rain is washing all the dripped oil off the polythene and running all over the drive

So it's unlikely the MK will be at Stoneleigh for the frst time in 5 years
Unlikely the drive will ever clean and likely I'll be sleeping on the sofa
How did your saturday go?

We all drink beer at some times in our life...............So go do it..............Tomorrow the sun will shine and when you have pressure washed the drive she will have forgiven you..........After the flowers have arrived !!!!

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 22/4/12 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Take bicarbonate of soda and sprinkle it in the metal in the boot and when you wash he carpet. Other wise the acid residue always reactivates when it's damp.
Good thing bicarbonate is quite cheap.
Driving with a loose battery was a bit silly will post some pictures of battery power.
I work with battery packs and have had a few go bang.
Wasn't there when they blew but what a mess.
Your new battery at delivery will deliver 3000 amps short circuit current.....!!!!!!! It's a wonder you still have a yaris.

FuryRebuild

posted on 22/4/12 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
chin up

@Jerryscales

We've all had days like yours.I remember the most amazing (supposed to be) first start of the engine day, but couldn't because I couldn't find the new breather valve, which i'd put in a safe place. I found the cat playing with it a week later. Turns out it was the wrong size - so the cat knew more than I did.

Go and see Battleship - it'll cheer you up no end.

First and for-most it didn't need the first 20 minutes: Non spoiler - they didn't kill off any of the characters they made a ham-fisted emotional connection with.
Secondly, you could liken it to Independent day, but not in quite the same way - Independence Day knew it was taking the piss.

Thirdly, the science was suspect.

It had plot gaps you could sail a battleship through, meaning you get to leave with a sense of smugness and self-satisfaction. In the genre of "has-beans on an isolated ship destroy alien invaders", it is definitely the best in the world

HOWEVER - it was great. Lots of aliens. Stuff blew up a lot. There were ships in it.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

fullpint

posted on 22/4/12 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
I had tp pop to work to meet a customer who collected his wheels.. Sun was out so i just had to fire up the Mk for a blast. Walked the dog and grandchild.. Itching to go for another ride up those clouds were not looking toooooooooo nice
Still I had a great day un-like yours mate.. Hope today is better for you

I've over 28 years in dealing with magnesium wheels. Refurbishment and can powder coat most metal parts. Visit my web site if you wish..
www.tpcs-magnesium-refurbs.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theduck

posted on 22/4/12 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
Just made the stupid mistake of putting my hand in a hot engine bay, result is one slightly melted finger...
D Beddows

posted on 22/4/12 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
I know it seems bad now - but really you've just driven to a shop that wasn't open, someones let you down with a delivery, you've spilt a bit of battery acid and got a bit of oil on your drive.....could be better admittedly but I can think of potentially much worse days to have!
MikeR

posted on 22/4/12 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Metal Supermarket in Coventry (Bedworth) used to be open on a saturday morning, something like 9am to 11am. Has that now changed?
AndyW

posted on 22/4/12 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
wife car failed MOT on lower wishbone bushes, press in type, easier to replace wishbone, or so I thought. Had to undo and lower the front sub frame just to access one flaming bolt. 4hrs later new wishbone in and Im now drying out as it rained, hailed, thundered and rained some more on me....

Not happy with the piece of crap renault.......

AntonUK

posted on 22/4/12 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
quite pleased with my efforts... wired the temp sensors for MS, mounted the intank fuel pump.

not long till engine can go brummm

Build Photos Here

ReMan

posted on 22/4/12 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
Metal Supermarket in Coventry (Bedworth) used to be open on a saturday morning, something like 9am to 11am. Has that now changed?

I spoke to Nat and he said it had changed, but couldnt get through n the phone, so went a look see.
It's now Rapid Metal and the number is 366888 (02476) Mon -Fri etc etc
Fortunatly came back with some fron the meat place just around the corner so not completely wasted journey.
Will pop over tomorrow and see what theyre like........

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

ReMan

posted on 22/4/12 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
Take bicarbonate of soda and sprinkle it in the metal in the boot and when you wash he carpet. Other wise the acid residue always reactivates when it's damp.
Good thing bicarbonate is quite cheap.
Driving with a loose battery was a bit silly will post some pictures of battery power.
I work with battery packs and have had a few go bang.
Wasn't there when they blew but what a mess.
Your new battery at delivery will deliver 3000 amps short circuit current.....!!!!!!! It's a wonder you still have a yaris.

So much for sealed for life!
Both terminals where insulated, fortunatly
Thanks for the tip on Bicarb.
Washed it all down today with a bicarb solution, hopefully it will be back to normal when it all dried properly
Yaris for sale!

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

nick205

posted on 23/4/12 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Emptied garage and shed of crap and hauled it to the tip in SWMBOs car, not mine.

Pasty for lunch followed by haircuts for my two lads.

Good so far, then started trying to fix SWMBOs no. plate lamps for MoT on Monday. Bulbs OK, fuse OK, loom between tailgate and car foobarred completely. PITA job tomorrow to rectify.

Curry and beer for dinner.

Mass interior trim removal a complete re-wire of the tailgate now has the no. plate lamps working. Having seen the state of the other wires, all cracked and about to break, I'm amazed anything else was working The lights all seem a little brighter now

MoT in progress this morning...awaiting their call!

PASSED

[Edited on 23/4/12 by nick205]

skidude88

posted on 26/4/12 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
My Saturday....

Part fitted a front cycle wing

(sealant tube had split and dried up - popped into RAE's Monday Lunch)

Early MK de-Dion CBR1000 FJ-FP.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.