Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: GPS Speedometer - feedback
Ivan

posted on 26/4/12 at 03:46 AM Reply With Quote
GPS Speedometer - feedback

Have recently fitted one of these to my Cobra after 22 years of no speedo at all

http://www.speedhut.com/custom_gauge_description-gauge_type-Speedometer_GPS-auto_number-822.htm

Thoughts so far - it was easy to wire up and quickly acquires the satellites, seems very accurate but not yet tested it against my Garmap Navigator, however do notice that it seems to match expected traffic speed.

Other thoughts - I am very happy that I made my dashboard very easy to remove and move back to expose all wiring with enough slack in the wiring not to have to disconnect anything, two easily reached wingnuts at the back, remove steering wheel and boss and it's all available.

Twice it's lost satellite signal or power for about 5 seconds a time (not sure which but think its lost satellite as Rev counter powered from same source and not failed) will check some time. These occurrences happened in open areas where signal should be good and needle dropped to zero.

It's made me realise that you don't need a speedo at all as before I drove on the rev counter (In my Cobra's case 40kph per 1000 rpm - 200 revs for torque converter slip) and comparing the two I was generally spot on.

So far I am very happy with my acquisition and look forward to testing it's performance measuring abilities.

As for it's legality - it's better than the "No connected Speedo" I had before. and I don't think our car testing processes would ever notice.

Found the company very good to deal with although the fact that they won't accept credit card payment is an absolute pain as to get foriegn exchange approval for a bank transfer takes a whole afternoon at the bank in SA.

[Edited on 26/4/12 by Ivan]

MikeRJ

posted on 26/4/12 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
Neat, but not a cheap option. Why couldn't you just put a sensor on the propshaft and use a conventional speedometer?
Ivan

posted on 26/4/12 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Neat, but not a cheap option. Why couldn't you just put a sensor on the propshaft and use a conventional speedometer?

I could have - just didn't feel like the fiddle of making brackets for the sensor, getting the gap right and the magnets to stay stuck etc and this looked like fun to try and it wasn't that much more expensive when all is said and done - I would of had to pay someone to make the brackets and get it working as I am too busy at the moment.

Talkiet

posted on 9/5/12 at 04:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan
Have recently fitted one of these to my Cobra after 22 years of no speedo at all

http://www.speedhut.com/custom_gauge_description-gauge_type-Speedometer_GPS-auto_number-822.htm
[snip]

Thanks for this report - I have been looking at these specific gauges for a while but I can't find any details of the sort of lag in readings... I watched some of their videos and it seems that there's about a 0.5 second lag between acceleration and the speedo reflecting the change... Do you have any comment on how 'immediate' the reading is?

I know it makes little real world difference really, but it's the kinda thing that would annoy me :-)

Cheers - N

Ivan

posted on 9/5/12 at 05:05 AM Reply With Quote
^^^ - I have not noticed any lag - but then I wouldn't as it's not on my radar to look for and I'm too busy watching the road - things happen quickly in the Cobra.

I think my main problem with the speedo is that the mileage readout is impossible to read with my poleroids on and the graduations on the guage are a bit close together on the 260 KPH one.

Slimy38

posted on 9/5/12 at 05:14 AM Reply With Quote
How is the speedo tested during IVA? If it's done on a rolling road you're a bit stuck, then again is it a reasonable argument to say that a rolling road isn't normal conditions?
Ivan

posted on 9/5/12 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
^^^^^Don't have that IVA problem in South Africa - although I would guess that strictly speaking it is not strictly legal anywhere.
Talkiet

posted on 9/5/12 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan
^^^^^Don't have that IVA problem in South Africa - although I would guess that strictly speaking it is not strictly legal anywhere.

In New Zealand for example, GPS speedos are explicitly forbidden (at least as the only speedo) in road legal cars.

Cheers - N

RK

posted on 11/5/12 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
You know, making a bracket for the propmounted type of sensor is very easy. Took me about half an hour to do it start to finish.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.