Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Euro Disney, July ?
Jon Ison

posted on 28/4/12 at 11:56 PM Reply With Quote
Euro Disney, July ?

Never been, daughter will be 10 so now at an age to enjoy it ?

Thinking of going late July, early September, good idea, bad idea ?

Thinking of driving it, good idea ?

Anyone recommend an hotel ?

Thinking of spreading the trip over 7 days, one there one back so five at Disney, enough, to long ?

Lots of questions but rather have real life experiences than glossy magazines, thanks in advance.

Furyous

posted on 29/4/12 at 03:15 AM Reply With Quote
I went there in 1995 and enjoyed it as a 9 year old. We took the Eurostar, which I think goes all the way to Disneyland. We stayed in the Disneyland hotel on site, which gave you early access to the park. I might be wrong on that, though. My main memory is going on Space Mountain twice a day for four days then being refused on the last day because I was too short. My head was making contact with the bar they were using.

I was too young to know the important details like cost and planning, but I did have fun. 10-13 is probably the best age to go because she'll be able to go on most rides and won't think it's too childish. Some teenagers think the theme is a bit below them, then by adulthood they'll want to go again just for the rides.

owelly

posted on 29/4/12 at 06:54 AM Reply With Quote
My (then new) other half took me there for my 30th. Didn't have kids back then but it was still a magical place! We went in December so got all the Christmas parades, frozen waterfalls, skating rinks and wintery scenes. We did the Eurostar and had a couple of days in Paris (which was full of tramps and dog poo but the carollers, hot chestnut sellers, decorations were nice). Then train to Eurodisney where we stayed in on of their themed hotels. During the week, we didn't have to queue for any rides. In fact, one afternoon, a bloke walked around with us to operate which ever ride we wanted to play on! All the on-site eaty-places were very good but a bit pricey.
That was ten years ago and now we have kids who are old enough to enjoy it (3 and 7 year old) so we'll be looking to take them. Probably in the winter though. At the time we went, using the Eurostar was a no brainer as it was very cheap compared to driving, ferry/chunnel, etc.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mark chandler

posted on 29/4/12 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
Went 10 years ago, when it was cold January I think, the common theme on responses so far.

Still had 15 - 30 minute queues for rides then, I would think summer you may find yourself standing around for ages by the number of roped basketball sized waiting area's.

Drove, does not take long to get there, but I lived in Tunbridge Wells then so only 1 hour to the tunnel.

I have subsequently always taken the boat, it breaks things down as you do not just sit in the car for hours and adds an extra dimension, time wise not much longer Dover to Calais.

Not sure on the maths, Newhaven Dieppe may reduce the car miles, boat takes longer though but gives you a chance to have a sleep if you plan to arrive early in the morning.

Regards Mark

Proby

posted on 29/4/12 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
I'm going in mid August (prob worst time to go for how busy it will be!), but I'm getting married, and we already have two children, 5 & 6, so it's a family honeymoon! We are going for 6 days on the Eurostar. My neighbour works for an online travel agent, and used to be a disney specific rep. She says usually, 6 days would be overkill, as you don't really need that much time there, but considering we are going in the busiest period, we might need 6 days to see everything. The themed Disney hotels are all scaled for different budgets, from the (static caravan type) Davy Crockett range, to the glourious main Disneyland hotel. I've been told I'll be robbed blind while I'm there, but I'm expected to be! You can book half board type deals, so you get breakfast and either lunch or dinner, at one of the many restaurants. There's a good website called DLRPmagic.com which gives good independent reviews, forums etc.

Chris

[Edited on 29/4/12 by Proby]

ssc28

posted on 29/4/12 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
I know this isn't answering any of your questions, but from experience, I'd save up and go to the Disney parks in Florida instead, much better weather and just better all round too. You will get the opportunity of other parks too which wont be avaliable in France
Simon

posted on 29/4/12 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
We went 4 years ago and while I think the kids enjoy it, for me the place was a massive rip-off - queues for everything, £1100 for 6 of us for 2 nights in a "lodge" (ie a mobile home that would have beem condemned on a site in this country).

Rides were ok when you got on them.

My bro was over from Oz 6 years ago and said exactly the same as me, he said to go to the States instead.

We drove, EuroDisney is 200 miles from Calais - about 3 hours plus the 240 odd miles to Dover from up north.

ATB

Simon

Jon Ison

posted on 29/4/12 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ssc28
I know this isn't answering any of your questions, but from experience, I'd save up and go to the Disney parks in Florida instead, much better weather and just better all round too. You will get the opportunity of other parks too which wont be avaliable in France

100% here you, however we can only take one week during the summer so a road trip to France taking in ED seems a better option.

Proby

posted on 29/4/12 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
I've also been to Florida, (4 times, but before the kids were in our lives), and agree its great! but I just cant afford to take them there at the moment!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.