Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Garage Contents Insurance
jamesbond007ltk

posted on 3/5/12 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
Garage Contents Insurance

Hi All,

Am moving house tomorrow which will mean for the first time ever I will have a garage within 15 miles of my front door!!! About 2 meters in this case...

The question I have is regarding household contents insurance and more specifically covering tools and other equipment stored in one's garage. I have been on a couple of comparison websites and all the policies I have looked at only cover up to £2000 for garage contents. How have people got round this?

Can you get seperate garage cover?

Are there particular companies that will cover more?

I intend to call round to customise the policy to suit my needs, but knwing which company to call is half the battle.

Thanks in advance

Rich

fesycresy

posted on 3/5/12 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
When I wanted to compare insurances, I asked exactly this and found only one!

Nationwide insurance will cover out buildings contents upto the same value as the house contents.

I have the same cover with Prudential as my policy is 17 years old, so my original rights haven't changed.

Just a word of warning, list and photograph all your kit. A mate of mine had to claim and he had a nightmare.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

jamesbond007ltk

posted on 3/5/12 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you so much for your reply. I will go get a quote now......

Photographs sound like a good plan. I was robbed a few years back and lost a lot. Have still not got back up to the level of tools I had back then. Had no photos, was temporarily away from home, isolated garage etc. and insurance company was fairly leanient to be fair, but equally I didn't get much.

Rich

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 3/5/12 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
apparently NFU can provide cover but not looked in to it mysefl

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

jamesbond007ltk

posted on 3/5/12 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
apparently NFU can provide cover but not looked in to it mysefl

Thanks, will quote with them too.

My mum used to use them and always said they were very good to deal with and good value.

Rich

theduck

posted on 3/5/12 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
This reminds I've been meaning to check with my fa about my garage contents cover...
Stott

posted on 3/5/12 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
I struggled with this last week, the best I could get was £7500 garage cover so I was going to look into a separate policy to cover the equipment/tools.

I haven't found one yet though

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 3/5/12 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
I spoke to Direct Line, they covered everything in the garage up the maximum cover for the property. The quote was for £174 a year and you can register items like bikes and toolboxs for specific values. They were very good but there is one thing that they don't tell you.....

.....trailers even if locked in the garage are NOT covered if stolen during a burglary/break in, this is ridiculous and I told them it was a deal breaker but they would not budge on this at all.

Also get yourself some build insurance from Adrian Flux, mine was £75 to cover £9000 worth of parts for a year.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 3/5/12 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
To anybody who doesn't have garage insurance please have a look at my post from 2008 Linky I was insured up to £6,000 which i thought was ok till i added up how much i lost. That fire did stop my Locost activity but on the bright side i have 3 brand new Haynes roadster complete kits just needing assembled and hopefully will soon have time to get building again
Confused but excited.

posted on 3/5/12 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
I wanted £20K cover on my garage/workshop and the only cover that I could find at the time was Marks & Spencer believe it or not. They gave me £70K contents cover on anything within my boundary. They will not cover ANY vehicle parts though. So all my car parts and engines and my boat are not covered.
Time to start looking at some of the above recommendations I think.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Stott

posted on 3/5/12 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
I asked for 20K cover and the broker didn't believe me, he started going on about me needing business insurance as nobody can have that value of tools/eqpt for personal use blah blah blah.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.