Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: which sump / fitment issues?
mrwibble

posted on 8/5/12 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
which sump / fitment issues?

Hi guys, hope you are all well.

Been a little while since my last real attack on the garage but you'll forgive me because there is a 7 week old mini wibble at home now

anyway, I've decided to look into the sump for my 2.0 black top x reg zetec e. I'm looking for an off the shelf product as cutting and shutting the sump (and hacking off bits of the windage tray in order for the starter to fit to a type 9 bellhousing?), just sounds like too much effort for now.

I'm after a low line sump (wet), so i guess it needs some baffles and be reasonably well thought out, that will not foul a standard type 9 bellhousing and hopefully doesn't leak!

so far i've rang scholar who want £360, dunnell were engaged, I know tiger make a sump but i've heard some a few years back were a bit leaky. Raceline is another name i've heard of. Is there any one else I should know about, and does anyone know of any fitment issues, i know its not quite the spirit but i'm really looking for the simplest "plug and play" answer!

any help appreciated,

and apologies if this is a dull done before topic, but i couldn't find too much in the search engine.

Ed.

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 8/5/12 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
vote for scholar from me.

mine bolted on very simply, and has done a good few thousand miles without issue.

you need to coax the pick up pipe a little, but a very easy kit to fit. My oil pressure has been excellent even when under hard cornering; no issues at all.

no cheap though!

I've heard the tiger one can be a bit porous, and doesn't include a windage tray, so not ideal for track.

Strontium Dog

posted on 8/5/12 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
You could always send it to me with an oil pick up pipe and £110 of your hard earned and I'll send it back shortened TIG welded and squared to the engine. I'm sure someone will be along in a while to tell you if my sumps are OK or not!

Altering the windage tray for the starter is a doddle but if you really want you can send that and I'll sort it too but it's so easy you probably would kick yourself for the cost of sending it back and forwards!

Cheers Si.

[Edited on 8/5/12 by Strontium Dog]

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x319/zephyr2000/General%20forum%20uploads/?action=view¤t=3DEngine.mp4

Fizzer

posted on 9/5/12 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like you would be mad not to go for Si's offer, much cheaper than the off the shelf items.

I've got a Tiger Racing sump, I think it's the cheapest off the shelf item - I originally fitted it to my silvertop but it's now fitted to my blacktop. I got the windage tray from the silvertop to fit (BT tray is cast into the sump I think)

The 1st time I fitted it it P1$$ed oil out everywhere. the Gasket groove is not machined, just rough cast, so the gasket can't seal. This time I've used some instant gasket in the groove, I'll let you know if it works later this week (I hope...)

The baffling isn't the best either, get what you pay for I suppose - not withstanding Si's offer of course!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.