Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Car on the road procedure
killieaitken

posted on 8/5/12 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Car on the road procedure

I recently phoned the dvla to ask them about getting a vin number etc and they said i could not make up my own chassis number and it had to be through themself!

The whole thing of getting it on the road is really starting to wear away at my interest in finishing the job!

I have tried to make sense of the other threads on this topic and i cannot get my heard around it

What is the first step i should carry out if there is a list it would be greatly appreciated!

blakep82

posted on 8/5/12 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
ask dvla to issue you with a vin number?
for some reason some allow you to make your own up, some want to issue you with one. personally i've got no problem with DVLA issuing me a chassis number if thats what they want. once its on, i'll probably never see it again anyway.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

killieaitken

posted on 8/5/12 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
yeh i know, so after they issue me with the vin number what is the process/paperwork process order?
BazzaMonty

posted on 8/5/12 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mate.......sorry to hijack your thread but i am building a MNR vortx at the moment and it is good to see someone local into kitcars, we should meet up some time to have a chat. Is there still a monthly meet at the hotel at the crosshouse roundabout?

Cheers
Barry

rallyingden

posted on 8/5/12 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by killieaitken
yeh i know, so after they issue me with the vin number what is the process/paperwork process order?

After you apply for VIN process is
VIN needs stamping into chassis in a location the guy at the IVA test centre can access easily
VIN number needs adding to chassis plate which also shows make, model, axle weight etc.
Fill in IVA application when your ready for test This will include VIN number weights etc. I also sent copies of the important bits from my build manual. ( I took the full manual with me to IVA )
They will contact you with an appointment date & time
Show up with your car, any paperwork such as build manual etc.
With a bit of luck you will get a pass certificate but be warned my inspector told me 90% fail first time, including me :-(
Once through the test present the certificate and insurance certificate ( you can insure your kit as soon as you get VIN number with most kit insurers ) to DVLA, I called at my local office on the way back from my retest, filled in the forms and was given my tax disc and a piece of paper stating I had DVLA permission to get number plates made up. So was on the road that day Log book comes through the post a week or two later.

My DVLA office said they no longer need to see the vehicle to issue the documents but you only have to read the posts on here to know that this seems to vary from centre to centre, I had my car outside on the trailer anyway but as I said they didn't want to see it.
One thing though, get a photocopy of your pass certificate before you give it to the DVLA as they keep the original and my insurance wanted to see it when I changed after my first year on the road,

Hope this helps rather than confuses you more. If you want to ask any questions PM me and I'll give you my phone number.

Good Luck and believe me the feeling you get when it's all done and yo drive down the road for the first time make it all worth while.

RD

killieaitken

posted on 11/5/12 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Bazza sounds like a plan mate, sorry for the late reply! What stage of the build are you at?
BazzaMonty

posted on 14/5/12 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
I am at a very early stage mate, its still pretty much a bare chassis on the build table, the panal at the pedal box is on and the pedal box is fitted. I really need to get my finger out and get a move on but the misses always seems to have a honey do list! It would good to get a look at your kit some time.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.