Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: rocker cover breather on GSXR1000
gixermark

posted on 14/5/12 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
rocker cover breather on GSXR1000

Hi Guys,

the two breather outlets on the rocker of my motor were left open/exposed.. and i assume its where i am getting some oil coming from while on circuit.....

my motor is dry sumped... question is - can i just link these two breathers together to let the oil flow back into the rocker - or does it actually need to breathe ? in which case i need to get a T piece... link the two and vent into a breather/bottle ?

GreigM

posted on 14/5/12 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
you need to let them breathe - the hose/t-piece idea would be fine - just make sure the catch tank itself can "breathe" as you need to let the pressure out.....wouldn't be the first time someone has hosed breathers to an enclosed catch tank and the resulting pressure build up blew a seal...
gixermark

posted on 14/5/12 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
as i thought - cheers mate...... another small job to sort
progers

posted on 14/5/12 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gixermark
Hi Guys,

the two breather outlets on the rocker of my motor were left open/exposed.. and i assume its where i am getting some oil coming from while on circuit.....

my motor is dry sumped... question is - can i just link these two breathers together to let the oil flow back into the rocker - or does it actually need to breathe ? in which case i need to get a T piece... link the two and vent into a breather/bottle ?

Hi Mark,

Are you talking about the PAIR valve covers on the rocker cover? If so, these are there primarily to allow air to be scavenged into the exhaust on throttle overrun, it helps to burn unused fuel and clean up the exhaust. For a race application, these are just blocked off with a blanking plate. It has nothing to do with the good running of the engine when pressing on. All race bikes block these off, to no ill effect. You can alternatively just bridge the two together with a pipe. Just remember to block off the hole in the original airbox (if you are using it), where the original feed to the pair valve was connected.

- Paul

gixermark

posted on 14/5/12 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
mmmn I'm not sure Paul...... i don;t think there are any open holes in the airbox that i noticed when i had it off - it is running the std airbox with modified inlets to get ram air above my bonce..

i'll take the airbox off to have a proper look..

did you run a k5/6 before the K7/8 you are running now ? see my other threads on clutches - I know the K7 has changed a bit - but if you ran k5/6 I'd be interested in your opinion on whether to run the concave spring washer... or whether you took it out and put in a 'normal' friction plate... i.e. not the larger internal diameter one to allow the cancave washer to fit into

progers

posted on 14/5/12 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
Done!

You will probably find the airbox has had the hole blocked up already. Worth checking though. Blocking the pair valve off with blanking plates is definitely the right thing to do. See here for an example http://gsxrzone.com/reedplates.html

Do you have the workshop manual? I can send it to you if you don't have it or download from here http://wotid.com/gsxr/content/view/22/43

Paul

[Edited on 14/5/12 by progers]

gixermark

posted on 14/5/12 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
thanks Paul - i guess other than aesthetics... i could just link the two ends with a piece of tubing to block them off ! ? rather than buying these ?

I'm not too bothered about how she looks under there...

progers

posted on 15/5/12 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
Yes that would work fine

- Paul

gixermark

posted on 15/5/12 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
ta muchly.......

at least that will keep it cleaner !!

now need to get the clutch sorted...... electrical issue sorted.....

and i guess get the driveshaft replaced that broke too !!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.