Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: LMP in EVO!
tadltd

posted on 1/9/04 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
LMP in EVO!

The LMP has been featured in this months (i.e. October 2004 issue) EVO magazine.

I've uploaded a copy of the article - in all its glory - onto the web-site to save you the trouble of running out to buy a magazine (or - more like the Locost crowd - standing reading it in WH Smith, whilst looking shifty...!)

That is all.

Best Regards,

Steve.
www.turnerautosport.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
robinbastd

posted on 1/9/04 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
I think your "that is all" statement is a little modest. Well done and I hope your phone will be red hot with enquiries.
Good for you!!!
Ian

Only a dead fish swims with the tide.

http://smuttygifts.com/

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 1/9/04 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
DROOL!DROOL!DROOL!DROOL!DROOL!DROOL!DROOL!

sgraber

posted on 1/9/04 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Steve, That's just fantastic! You better be ready for the orders now!

I knew it from the moment I saw it, it's a winner! Nice job.

(now - will you sell them in the states?) :-)

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tadltd

posted on 1/9/04 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks folks.

Steve - We will sell them in the States as soon as we can figure out how to get round the bloody reg's!!

If some things come together in the next couple of weeks, it may be in North America sooner than you think!

Oh - BTW - it'll be at Brands Hatch on the 6th September if anyone fancies coming along.

[Edited on 1/9/04 by tadltd]

Best Regards,

Steve.
www.turnerautosport.com

sgraber

posted on 2/9/04 at 01:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tadltd
Thanks folks.

Steve - We will sell them in the States as soon as we can figure out how to get round the bloody reg's!!

If some things come together in the next couple of weeks, it may be in North America sooner than you think!

Oh - BTW - it'll be at Brands Hatch on the 6th September if anyone fancies coming along.

[Edited on 1/9/04 by tadltd]

Can't you have them shipped here in parts? A USA source assembles them, services them and sells them. It becomes a USA car simply built from parts purchased from UK? Especially if the motors are sourced locally. Or is there something I am missing?

I believe that's how the Ultima is brought here. No motor.

Steve Graber

derf

posted on 2/9/04 at 02:52 AM Reply With Quote
yup, it'll sell as a kit, then be registered as a specialty construction
kb58

posted on 2/9/04 at 04:18 AM Reply With Quote
The big issue in California will be the bike drivetrain. I think it'll make it impossible to register here
tadltd

posted on 2/9/04 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
All I need is for someone in the USA to buy one in kit form then...

Perhaps the Californian reg's can be overcome with the next development: an Audi V6/V8 or BMW V8...

Best Regards,

Steve.
www.turnerautosport.com

andkilde

posted on 2/9/04 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Perhaps the Californian reg's can be overcome with the next development: an Audi V6/V8 or BMW V8...

Might be a better idea for NA to go with Ford Zetec, Honda or GM EcoTec as power sources -- lot's of donors and CARB approved speed parts available for these.

Audi is sold as a premium luxury brand over here (even though they're less reliable than your average Daewoo) and the parts are quite dear.

Cheers, Ted

kb58

posted on 2/9/04 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
As you may know, specialty car makers aren't responsible for getting the car through emissions testing for the customer. In California then the (poor) customer has to deal with it, not you.

Of course that attitude, "the customer's stuck with the consequenses" is, in my opinion, one reason so many specialty car companies are out of business.

For California, the best compromise may be to design in a drivetrain of something that's sold here. Sportbike engine are a problem because they never were sold here in 4-wheel vehicles.

Our emission laws keep changing, making it all the more "interesting." A recent law allows 500 special registrations each year to specially constructed vehicles, to pass an emissions test for what the car appears to be. That is, you build a Cobra kit car, so it must meet the emissions of a 1965 Cobra, regardless of the engine. Unfortunately that law won't help here...

In a nut shell, (I think) you can use any 5yr-old or newer drivetrain you want, as long as ALL of it is used, all the emission equipment too. One thing mfgs forget about is the gas tank. I was told up front that to pass emissions it MUST be a gas tank from an automobile. That rules out custom tanks or fuel cells...

[Edited on 2/9/04 by kb58]

violentblue

posted on 2/9/04 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
I wonder how well a honda drive train would fit in there?

a few pics of my other projects

posted on 2/9/04 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
Is that your missus in your new avtar Steve Graber?
This question is probably in the wrong section but....

sgraber

posted on 2/9/04 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cita
Is that your missus in your new avtar Steve Graber?
This question is probably in the wrong section but....

Just thought I would spice things up a bit. If anyone is offended just let me know and I'll pull it off....

Steve Graber

tadltd

posted on 2/9/04 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
where'd you get THAT avatar???!!

Best Regards,

Steve.
www.turnerautosport.com

posted on 2/9/04 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
PLEASE NO!!!!!!!!!!...i mean i'm not offended
sgraber

posted on 2/9/04 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cita
PLEASE NO!!!!!!!!!!...i mean i'm not offended

- Some honda/ricer forum (don't ask - looking for turbo info). It was an avatar that I just HAD to keep watching...

(and when I said 'pull it off', I didn't mean anything pervy by that... )

Steve Graber

TheGecko

posted on 2/9/04 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sgraberJust thought I would spice things up a bit. If anyone is offended just let me know and I'll pull it off....
Well, far be it for me to decide whether you should pull off or not.....

However, I like to browse LocostBuilders at work and so, much as I like seeing some animated butt on screen , it could cause me a "please explain" moment if a co-worker wanted to complain. I suspect the same is true of others here as well.

Dominic

sgraber

posted on 2/9/04 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
But they're not complaining that you are reading a site about building cars rather than working?!

J/K - No prob. I understand. It is gone.

She was fun while I lasted...

Steve Graber

kb58

posted on 2/9/04 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
Aaaaa! That picture is MUCH worse!
TheGecko

posted on 3/9/04 at 12:34 AM Reply With Quote
Aaargh!!!! Naked, hairy man!!!

My eyes, my eyes!!

Put her back Steve, please

Seriously (?) though, thanks for that Steve. It's mostly because my screen is directly visible to a few ladies here in the office and it's the sort of environment (University) where such issues cause problems.

Now I can go back to wasting my time surfing the web, looking at cars, because there's no naked ladies on the screen

Dominic

sgraber

posted on 3/9/04 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kb58
Aaaaa! That picture is MUCH worse!

That's strange... because it's the same person... except a different angle...

(Nooooo ... Didn't THAT just make you wanna puike!?)

Steve Graber

malcolmstoddart

posted on 3/9/04 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
...back to the original thread...

Well done Steve.. tidy bit of gear...!!!

Whats next???

regards

Malcolm

ERP

posted on 4/9/04 at 03:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
All I need is for someone in the USA to buy one in kit form then...

Actually California is probably not as big a problem as some other west coast states.

There are a couple of ways to get a car Registered in Ca, basically the first 500 specialty vehicles registered a year can be smog exempt, the only other option is to meet the emissions requirements with ALL of the original emissions equipment supplied by the factory (or use a pre 74 block).

You might be better off with a US v8 if you want to sell in the US.

tadltd

posted on 4/9/04 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
A small block US V8 would fit fine, if someone wanted to try it out!

I'd be glad to provide all the engineering help required for an installation.

What's next? Well, there's a few things up my sleeve at the moment. I'm involved with a brand new design that uses BMW donor bits - NOT another 7 clone - so you may see something on that in the next few months...

Watch this space!

Best Regards,

Steve.
www.turnerautosport.com

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.