Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: zetec plus Eaton M45 (or similar)
contaminated

posted on 17/5/12 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
zetec plus Eaton M45 (or similar)

I've searched through lot's of threads but I'm struggling to find evidence of recent conversions. Has anybody currently got a car running with this setup? At this stage I'm just after a couple of people I might be able to PM in the near future. I need to work out plumbing, fabrication and throttle body (or modified carbs for that matter).

thanks

Dan

Tiger Super Six Independent
www.southernkitcars.com

djtom

posted on 17/5/12 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
Not supercharged, but my Super Six has a turbo'd Zetec in it if you want to have a look at air plumbing / chargecooler / etc??

Close to you, too!

contaminated

posted on 17/5/12 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by djtom
Not supercharged, but my Super Six has a turbo'd Zetec in it if you want to have a look at air plumbing / chargecooler / etc??

Close to you, too!

I would like to have a look at that Tom. The last time I saw your car was at Lyddon with the first incarnation of the turbo setup (before you pulled it all apart). Is it finished now?

www.southernkitcars.com

djtom

posted on 17/5/12 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
In as much as it'll never be finished, yes!

It's been back on the road for a year now, and nothing has fallen off recently! There are a few more things I'd like to do, but I need a better clutch before increasing the power further as mine slips when I set the boost to anything more than about 0.8bar. Still goes pretty well at those levels though - at Lydden in March it was on par with a 280bhp duratec caterham. The westfield with a 'busa turbo lump was getting away from me though.

big_wasa

posted on 17/5/12 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
Ive seen a couple abroad on you tube. The problem with the eaton on a rh drive car is where to put it.

http://youtu.be/Ghjc_I1wQ-g

contaminated

posted on 17/5/12 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
Ive seen a couple abroad on you tube. The problem with the eaton on a rh drive car is where to put it.

http://youtu.be/Ghjc_I1wQ-g

I think I can fit it on the inlet side if I move the alternator to the exhaust side.

www.southernkitcars.com

big_wasa

posted on 17/5/12 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Will it clear the steering linkage ?
contaminated

posted on 17/5/12 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
Will it clear the steering linkage ?

With a bit of wiggling I think so. I need to mock it up.

www.southernkitcars.com

Mave

posted on 17/5/12 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
I've almost finished my Indy rebuild, and part of it is the Eaton 45 conversion. It is running a Omex 600, and recently put out 218 bhp on the rollers. Things are pretty tight under the bonnet, but everything fits. My car is LHD though, and a steering shaft for RHD will need to take a different routing. But on the exhaust side things are pretty cramped as well, with alternator, idler pully, steering shaft, cooling hoses..... But on the rolling road it works perfectly. I'll post some pictures when my car is ready (should be within the coming weeks).

If you have any questions, let me know.

Marcel

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
contaminated

posted on 17/5/12 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mave
I've almost finished my Indy rebuild, and part of it is the Eaton 45 conversion. It is running a Omex 600, and recently put out 218 bhp on the rollers. Things are pretty tight under the bonnet, but everything fits. My car is LHD though, and a steering shaft for RHD will need to take a different routing. But on the exhaust side things are pretty cramped as well, with alternator, idler pully, steering shaft, cooling hoses..... But on the rolling road it works perfectly. I'll post some pictures when my car is ready (should be within the coming weeks).

If you have any questions, let me know.

Marcel

Thanks Marcel. Sounds superb.

www.southernkitcars.com

ChrisW

posted on 24/5/12 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
A mate of mine built a Fiesta mk1 with an E45'd Zetec in it. If there's anything specific you need to know about the engine I can ask him for you. Keep in mind his was FWD packaged though so there will be lots of differences.

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
contaminated

posted on 25/5/12 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Chris - I'll work up a list! The main issues will be mounting it, putting the alternator back on the passenger side of the engine, pipework, throttle body and plenum. In particular I need to decide whether to start off with something like a ST170 throttle body or get some bike bodies.

www.southernkitcars.com

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 25/5/12 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure if it helps but Quantum's current demonstrator has a supercharged zetec in it. Apparently it is really good to drive. CKC and TKC have given it good reviews. It uses an omex package as far as I know.
contaminated

posted on 28/5/12 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xtreme Kermit
Not sure if it helps but Quantum's current demonstrator has a supercharged zetec in it. Apparently it is really good to drive. CKC and TKC have given it good reviews. It uses an omex package as far as I know.

Thanks mate, I'll have a look.

www.southernkitcars.com

jeffw

posted on 28/5/12 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
You can come round and look at my Rotrex supercharged Zetec but I doubt it would be much help with your E45 version.

contaminated

posted on 28/5/12 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
You can come round and look at my Rotrex supercharged Zetec but I doubt it would be much help with your E45 version.

Cheers Jeff, I may do that.

www.southernkitcars.com

MakeEverything

posted on 28/5/12 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
I've done it to a Renault 21 engine if that helps. Details below.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.