Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Unstable off throttle
PeterV

posted on 17/5/12 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Unstable off throttle

Not a good title but not easy to explain in a few words. I'm confused but there is probably something very simple that I've overlooked.

Symptoms:

Hit the power hard not problem.
Hit the power softly no problem.
Cruise no problem.
Slam the brakes on (even with a sticky throttle) no problem.
But come off the power or come off cruise and the car becomes unstable, just for a moment or two it feels like it's fallen into a lorry rut, but there is nothing wrong with the road surface.
Once on the over run everything settles down and to be honest it's not a big issue but it just saps that bit of confidence when setting the car up for a long corner that doesn’t require any braking effort.
It also causes buttock clenching when lifting in a corner, yeah yeah bad driving etc. , but it happens.

Any clues will be gratefully received, by the washing machine if no one else

Actually any any questions that can help me clarify the problem better will be just as useful

austin man

posted on 17/5/12 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
gearbox or dif problem ? vibrations from them as the drive take up is released

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

PeterV

posted on 17/5/12 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by austin man
gearbox or dif problem ? vibrations from them as the drive take up is released

There's one I hadn't considered will have a look see at both. Think the gearbox is sound but diff or drive shaft could be a contender.

Cheers

wylliezx9r

posted on 17/5/12 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
My car did this when it was set up with too much toe in, I wound it out a turn and a half and all is good now.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

danny keenan

posted on 17/5/12 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
please check yor rear bushes for play in them.i here this alot and 99% of the time its this or a lose rear wheel bearing.

thanks danny

PeterV

posted on 17/5/12 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wylliezx9r
My car did this when it was set up with too much toe in, I wound it out a turn and a half and all is good now.

Been from toe out to toe in and had all kinds of effects that were scary.
Now running with the slightest of toe in front and rear to keep everything neat through power and braking. Checked against chassis rails to make sure I'm not skewing things and all seems (note the word seems) well.
Toe out at the front makes the car turn in way to quick for road use, you end up having to be very brave and wait till the apex seems like it's behind you before you tip it in. Amazing fun but not for the road

There seems to be consensus that it's a rear ward problem, which is encouraging

theconrodkid

posted on 17/5/12 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
does sound like a tracking or worn bush problem,have you adjusted the rear ?

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

PeterV

posted on 17/5/12 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Yep had a massive 22mm toe in on the original rear set up. It has been shimmed out to around 3mm toe in now. The big ear toe in caused a rapid end swap under high speed braking. Never showed up at low speeds or on lift which was unfortunate
dwpage

posted on 17/5/12 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
I had the same problem with my WLR, it turned out to be the adjustable camber on the top rear wishbone was loose. tightened it up and checked the rest of the suspension and hey presto all was well. I think you have a different rear suspension if memory serves but I would definitely say you need to check all joints and bushes on the rear. Hope you track this down soon as the 'good weather' is almost upon us, and look forward to seeing you out there.

David

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PeterV

posted on 17/5/12 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers David.

Defo a rear problem then so I'm going under and in tomoz. I'm guessing it's going to be something small (ie lose or the like) rather than a biggy that's why I have not spotted it coz nothing moves with leaverage while the cars in the air. Or maybe that's just it, it don't show while the cars off the ground.

Cheers guys will attack with this list of clues and see what I find

ShaunB

posted on 17/5/12 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
It sounds like it's occuring in the transition period from the wheels being powered to the wheels powering the engine (overrun). When you brake it's over very quickly, but when you ease off its a moment before it settles - I guess something is moving, so as others have suggested rear bushes, adjusters, wheel bearings, etc.

Shaun.

dwpage

posted on 20/2/13 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
Peter
did you find out what the twitchy problem was?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.