Poll: Olympic torch sellers....... [View Results]
Don't agree they should be sold for personal gain
Ok if funds raised go to charity
Don't give a monkeys

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Olympic torch sellers.......
Jon Ison

posted on 21/5/12 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Olympic torch sellers.......

What's your thoughts ?
franky

posted on 21/5/12 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Fair play to them, glad to see some people outside the m25 are going to get something from the Olympics. I'd like to know how many have actually been paid for though as there's 1000's of them made.

The whole setup is a joke and Seb cole the king joker. Should have let the french have it.

Davegtst

posted on 21/5/12 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
I'll be glad when this whole thing is over. Good luck to the people selling them, i definatly would sell if i had one.
flibble

posted on 21/5/12 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Why buy the real thing when you can have a London 2012 Olympic Torch Photo | eBay for £20k... muppets, lol
NeilP

posted on 21/5/12 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
^^^^ but it is printed on A4 gloss paper - swanky...

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

flibble

posted on 21/5/12 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
I've just asked if they'll do a straight swap for a bucket of last years Olympic air, fingers crossed
r1_pete

posted on 21/5/12 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
I think if I had one, and the choice between it and 150 grand plus.....

2012 London Olympic Relay Torch | eBay

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 21/5/12 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
do we really think that lad is going to get 153k?!?! something tells me he is going to be filing a non paying bidder report.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Chippy

posted on 21/5/12 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, sell the bloody things, personaly I wouldn't pay a penny for one, but if your stupid enough to pay good money for one you must be bonkers. IMHO Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

steve m

posted on 21/5/12 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
As Chippy says, who give a f ing toss, i dont !

also " bucket of last years Olympic air, fingers crossed "

i didnt know we had an olympics last year ?

morcus

posted on 22/5/12 at 02:48 AM Reply With Quote
Course we did, the top secret 2011 autumn olympics. Held in Grimsby as I recall.

I've got some souvenire Olympic fish if anyone's intrested?

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Hugh_

posted on 22/5/12 at 05:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
Fair play to them, glad to see some people outside the m25 are going to get something from the Olympics. I'd like to know how many have actually been paid for though as there's 1000's of them made.

The whole setup is a joke and Seb cole the king joker. Should have let the french have it.

11000 of them according to an article in the paper the other day. At a guess simply will quickly outstrip demand...

whitestu

posted on 22/5/12 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Totally agree - the whole thing is bonkers. A skint government that bangs on about global warming decide it is a good idea to 'fly' a flame from Greece to Cornwall, and then have a massive convoy transport it by the most indirect route to Strarford.

Given the current economic climate couldn't they have put a book of matches in the post?

Stu

TimEllershaw

posted on 22/5/12 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
Just to add a little balance to the thread, I'm quite looking forward to the whole thing. I've even been watching bits of the relay on the BBC web site and have quite enjoyed the little heart-warming stories of those involved. I love the sight of the people lining the route, clapping and cheering and looking happy to be part of something special.

On the flip side, I feel it is a shame that some people don't want to join in, but accept that it is not everybody's cup of tea. I guess the Kit Car builder demographic tips towards solitary engineer, rather than sportsman. And that the Locost ethic suggests that this much extravageace is unjustified.

We have a young family friend who will be carrying the torch and we are talking about clubbing together to buy one for him. A memento of his "once in a lifetime" event, etc , etc (sorry for the cliché) . If he sold it then I would be a little disappointed, but if it raised £100s or even £1000s for his charity then I would quite understand.

Tim

[Edited on 22/5/2012 by TimEllershaw]

http://www.teenagecancertrust.org/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jasper

posted on 22/5/12 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Tim - I'm with you mate - I'm not a big Olympic sports fan, but I did go on a tour of the Stratford site a couple of weeks ago (for charity!!) and was mightily impressed with what they've done, all to budget and well on time. And the whole area is benefitting from a massive amount of regeneration and it really needed it too.

So while I was originally part of the Bah-humbug brigade I'm certainly not any more and wish I'd got some tickets - a mate has some for the para's so I might get to go to them. I think they're going to do a really good job and the atmosphere there will be incredible.

And the torch is coming right past my shop here in Lewes in a few weeks time and I'm looking forward to that too - be good to see it for real.

I think massive global events like this are important - if you go with the attitude of 'the money would be better spent on ......' then we would never have made it to the moon, we would never had built the Pyramids or St Pauls, or the Hadron Collider. We're humans and humans like to do this sort of thing - and there's a very good chance we'll make money out of it in the end, Sydney Olypics did.

I think the Olympic committee and Lord Coe had done a great job so far - lets see how the actual event goes before we all get on our doom and gloom hats.

Come on, cheers up chaps, the sun is shining as well

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

kipper

posted on 22/5/12 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
I saw a clip of the flame leaving Greece and was annoyed to see the union jack proudly flying upside down
The sooner the whole event is over the better for me but I wish I had one of the torches,,,,,,,,,,,that amount of dosh could see me retiring.
Denis.

Where did that go?
<<<<

thefreak

posted on 22/5/12 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kipper
I saw a clip of the flame leaving Greece and was annoyed to see the union jack proudly flying upside down
The sooner the whole event is over the better for me but I wish I had one of the torches,,,,,,,,,,,that amount of dosh could see me retiring.
Denis.

Union Jack or Union Flag?

TimEllershaw

posted on 22/5/12 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Another thought:

The torch bearers are all “ordinary” people who have been nominated for some worthwhile community activity or sporting success. I am more than happy for such people to be given the opportunity to make a little cash in recognition of their good nature and community spirit.
....but I bet, because of the sort of people they are, that most of them would not sell their torches for personal gain.

http://www.teenagecancertrust.org/

BenB

posted on 22/5/12 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
I'm dreading the bloody thing. It's going to be a nightmare getting round, all the shops will be sold out due to massive demand at a time of traffic chaos, the underground is going to be horrendously full. And for this privelage I get to pay more council tax for the next decade.

Great.

Oh well, let's not forget the "legacy" the games will leave.

I hear Athens 2004 did wonders for that place......

thefreak

posted on 22/5/12 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kipper
Denis.

Union Jack or Union Flag?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.