Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: VAG rip off merchants
steve m

posted on 22/5/12 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
VAG rip off merchants

VAG !!

Girlfriend at work had to have somthing done at VAG last week on her 2004 golf , and she got back a list of MUST do items for her mot
that included all four disks and pads, new brake pipes new handbrake cables, 4 off cv boots, (2 inner and 2 outer) 4 tyres
a couple of other things that i cant remember and a couple of console bushes ?

She was distraught, at the £1200 looming quotel. so i took her car for an MOT today,to the place ive never used and it failed on

ONE outer CV boot is leaking grease, total bill £65 plus mot cost

After the mot i let the guy see what VAG had written, and he could not belive how calous they were with the "estimate"

She does plan on taking it further, but we/she are not sure of the next step

WHY DO DEALERS / garage places think they can rip people off like this !

Steve

iank

posted on 22/5/12 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
1st Step is ring VOSA, and maybe fill in a VT17 - See http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Mot/DG_4022113
Then trading standards would be the next call.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

ed1max

posted on 22/5/12 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Why not name and shame

quote:
Originally posted by steve m
VAG !!

Girlfriend at work had to have somthing done at VAG last week on her 2004 golf , and she got back a list of MUST do items for her mot
that included all four disks and pads, new brake pipes new handbrake cables, 4 off cv boots, (2 inner and 2 outer) 4 tyres
a couple of other things that i cant remember and a couple of console bushes ?

She was distraught, at the £1200 looming quotel. so i took her car for an MOT today,to the place ive never used and it failed on

ONE outer CV boot is leaking grease, total bill £65 plus mot cost

After the mot i let the guy see what VAG had written, and he could not belive how calous they were with the "estimate"

She does plan on taking it further, but we/she are not sure of the next step

WHY DO DEALERS / garage places think they can rip people off like this !

Steve

Ben_Copeland

posted on 22/5/12 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
My friend had the same at an Audi garage (maidstone). They serviced his 2007 a4, and gave him a huge list of items that needed doing... which he had to sign a declaration to say he didnt want them doing and that it was his fault if something failed (to do with their service warranty)

Low and behold a week later his turbo pipe came off, pulling part of the turbo with it!! AA man said there was no way it just came off taking the mountings with it...

Having no option but to get it towed to Audi, they made every excuse possible that it couldnt of been their fault and charged him £1000 for a new turbo

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

steve m

posted on 22/5/12 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
VAG manor royal Crawley

I will add that They did not, by my instruction do an MOT, it was all adviseries, that needed to be done for the MOT

steve m

VAG manor royal Crawley

I will add that They did not, by my instruction do an MOT, it was all adviseries, that needed to be done for the MOT

rb968

My dad had a similar but less extreme experience with our local Audi dealers recently when he took his 08 plate A4 for its second service. They told him it needed rear disks and pads as the rears were 90% worn which my dad thought odd as he had looked at them days earlier.

He let them do the windscreen wiper blade and told them not to do the rest. He was a mechanic for 45 years and ran his own garage and was an mot tester so they will try it with anyone. I told him to complain but he just paid and walked away. To be 90% worn they must have been 2 inches thick when fitted!!!

Basically he accepted they were full of sh1t and just wanted the basic service and stamp. It s a real shame they think they can con people.

Rich

steve m

posted on 22/5/12 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
VAG manor royal Crawley

Simon

posted on 22/5/12 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
One of the reasons I won't own a german car is the ridiculous parts prices. When I was going through my twin turbo for toy car phase I popped into Audi Tonbridge to get turbo oil and water feed/drain pipes.

They quoted over £650. Went to local hydraulic spesh bought the bits and made myself for prob less the £30

ATB

Simon

ReMan

posted on 22/5/12 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
"WHY DO DEALERS / garage places think they can rip people off like this ! "

Because they can.
And genarally those who don't/can't, are not in a position to question their judggement
Oh and dont forget , you get your book stamped FFS

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

adithorp

posted on 22/5/12 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
It seems to be a new practice with VAG dealers. I quite like it; I've gained several new customers who have always previously gone to the dealers but will never return... and they always think my bill is suprisingly low, even when I think it's quite a lot.
Best I've seen was a customer took their car to dealer for a noise. Came out with a (3 figure) bill foir an audible inspection that was "inconclusive". In other words they listened to it and heard nothing.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

big-vee-twin

posted on 22/5/12 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Mercedes are the same, went in for an oil change service for which they charged an eye watering £450 and was told car needed £2100.00 worth of work doing on bushes etc. i took car away saying I would think it over.

Took it too a independent Merc mechanic he said it was like new underneath.

Stealers praying on Folk who don't know better stinks!!

By the way that was Mercedes Leeds.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

Simon

posted on 22/5/12 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm, I always thought german cars severely overrated; so, it appears do the dealers All these things that need replacing!

ATB

Simon

bi22le

posted on 22/5/12 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
I had a similar 'audio examination' problem with ford.

My 59plate focus started donking on the front right over bumps. It was under warranty so we took it to the same dealer my company always use.

They phoned me up saying it was the dual mass flywheel, £500+ please. I said er no you bonker. Try again. They then said its the steering rack. Both times i said are you sure its flywheel / steering rack.

They changed the rack and it still happened. We tried to fight our corner that they were wrong and not fixed it but they said it was warn and needed doing anyway, utter ballox. The ended uo giving a 40% discount.

I now insist my car does not go to them.

When i was an auto electrician. We used to call them main stealers!!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

coyoteboy

posted on 22/5/12 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Never take your car to a stealership or large chain, never take it to anyone if you can help it and get your MOT done at local council one or a place not affiliated with a garage. Trust no-one.
mrwibble

posted on 22/5/12 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Trust no-one.

ok black fox, i will let the badger cry 3 times at midnight before the eagle flies! for the cause we salute you!

RK

posted on 22/5/12 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
Sadly those prices don't seem too bad. My Audi dealer's philosophy is to look at the code; not know what it means; replace everything they can think of, one at a time, charge me a fortune, and have the engine light go on AGAIN a day later. This has happened 3 times in the past 6 months. I hate the car now. Basically, they are not set up to diagnose, only to read codes and keep replacing parts, and hope for the best. A bit hit and miss, if you ask me, which they aren't, because they hit it big when I became a customer obviously... For me it's been one big miss.
morcus

posted on 23/5/12 at 01:39 AM Reply With Quote
They do it because most of their customers either don't know any better or don't care. You vary rarely seem to get anyone who knows anything about cars at big dealerships, my cousin told me it's because the way they work pretty much forces out enthusiasts (He has worked for a few including Fiat and Mercedes) and now works at the supermarket.

My Dad almost had a fight with the guy that runs Audi in Maidstone about 6 years ago over the way he was treated when he was a potential customer (He drove to Maidstone twice to see a car that didn't seem to exist, Basically he phoned up about a car and they said come and have a look and when he got there it was mysteriously absent with a different reason each time and both times they tried to sell him a completely different car). I seem to have simillar problems. If I've come to see a Jag I'm not going to be intrested in a Corsa that I can't even drive yet I got the same BS every time when I was looking for one.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

blakep82

posted on 23/5/12 at 01:46 AM Reply With Quote
VW dealers, over priced, over rated, and OVER HERE!

isn't that how it normally goes?
would have been beter with a BMW, blah blah blah

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

franky

posted on 23/5/12 at 06:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mrwibble
quote:
Trust no-one.

ok black fox, i will let the badger cry 3 times at midnight before the eagle flies! for the cause we salute you!

iank

posted on 23/5/12 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mrwibble
quote:
Trust no-one.

The red cow flies due east over Vladivostok tonight.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

scudderfish

posted on 23/5/12 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
84 78 87 86 66
84 73 65 80 89
81 67 70 71 68
78 73 86 72 70
66 79 66 74 78
78 68 72 89 89
84 70 75 78 85
74 86 79 84 72
75 90 72 73 87
79 90 82 65 81
79 69 74 74 83
78 89 75 90 77
87 71 88 85 87
66 81 65 68 69
74 72 83 76 68
86 89 84 82 84
67 82 65 69 65
77 72 74 68 66
71 70 68 84 90
72 66 72 87 80

tasmod

posted on 23/5/12 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
That maps a bit rich in the cruise area

Rob

coyoteboy

posted on 23/5/12 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
I love this place sometimes.
ReMan

posted on 23/5/12 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
I'm frightened

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.