Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: where did all the oil go?
ditchlewis

posted on 23/5/12 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
where did all the oil go?

last night i got the gearbox out the car and took the top lid off. looking inside there was no oil ...... no wonder it was a bit noisy.

the gears look in good nick with only a slight mark on one tooth but considering its an old box i was pleasntly suprised. the brass syncro gears were a bit loose and would rattle a bit but the action of the gear change is good. there was also a reasonable covering of oil to all the gears and the inside of the box (nowhere near dry).

my main consern is where has all the oil gone to ?

there are no oil stains under the car, there is a layer of oil inside the trans tunnel and what appears a "burnt film" in the bell housing. when i split the bell housing from the box there was alot of oil around and in the gasget.

now i've had a problem with the breather being blocked so assume that the box got pressurised but would this cause ALL the oil to blow out of the box?

how much oil would i loose through an un used / open speedo drive?

my plans are to

1. replace the seals on both ends of the box
2. replace the gasgets on the bell housing and thrust bearing shaft
3. remove the speedo drive and blank off the opening.

can any one think of anything else i should do to prevent loss of oil?

regards

Ditch

mark chandler

posted on 23/5/12 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure about a type 9 box, I had a C3 auto box in a mkI granda and the speedo cable fell out the back, drove up a steep hill and it lost drive as all the fluid leaked out the back.

I would not be surprised if this is your culprit, when you are on the flat it does not leak.

ditchlewis

posted on 23/5/12 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
Due to the oil in the trans tunel I thought the speedo take off may be the problem.

I just can't see any obvoius leaks or tell tail signs of a leak. The only signs are a very greasy bell housing and oil in the trans tunnel.

Its a puzzle

Ditch

ditchlewis

posted on 23/5/12 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Due to the oil in the trans tunel I thought the speedo take off may be the problem.

I just can't see any obvoius leaks or tell tail signs of a leak. The only signs are a very greasy bell housing and oil in the trans tunnel.

Its a puzzle

Ditch

Bluemoon

posted on 23/5/12 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
If it were me I would keep it simple. Fix breather (easy and will cause a leak), re-fill with oil, if could be bothered blank speedo cable exit (i doubt it's this as cable would fill up with oil, they don't so there must be an oil seal in there..) Then try again checking oil level frequently.

It could still be the breather as oil would be lost each time the box heats up pushing out a quantity of oil.. My guess is you could lose a lot of fuild over a few runs like that.

Cheers

Dan

[Edited on 23/5/12 by Bluemoon]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.