Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cheapest place for stainless MIG wire
DIY Si

posted on 24/5/12 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Cheapest place for stainless MIG wire

Afternoon all.

Due to being off work ill, I have far too much time to spend online thinking up things to spend money on!

Today's ideas have turned to making my exhaust manifolds. I was going to make them in mild as I have a good welder, plenty of gas and wire. However, I have also been thinking about making them in SS. But this means buying some wire, and probably some new gas.

I expect I will have no problems welding the tube, as from what I can make out it's not much different to welding mild. But I've only got Ar/Co2 20% gas, which apparently isn't suitable, and mild wire.

Is it worth the expense of going to SS manifolds? The bends and tube more, the wire is MUCH more, and I'd need a new bottle of gas, and mine is still 75% full. But stainless is shiny and should last longer. But will it sound a bit tinny, as SS can do sometimes? Oh, this is for a V6 as well, so I'll a good few bends. Either way, the manifolds will need to be either wrapped or coated to keep under bonnet temps down, and I'm unsure how this may affect SS.

So if you were me, which option would you go for, and more importantly, why?

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

macc man

posted on 24/5/12 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
Best way is to tig weld stainless. Far neater and less distortion. I bought a load of bends and tack welded them together.
I got a local guy to tig them for me. Saved loads of time and money. Just a thought.

DIY Si

posted on 24/5/12 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
I do know of a few local mobile welders, but I'm quite keen to try and do it all myself. Most of the welds would be ground smooth which ever metal I use.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

shaft

posted on 24/5/12 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
I'm making my own manifolds for a V8 install and going the mild steel route.

I've been told Ceramic coating is supposed to be the ~Bees Knees~ for finishing & minimising
engine noise. Apparently not to harsh on the pocket either, but i haven't had any quotes yet?

my opinion might be wrong you know...

My Zero Build Pics

nilocp

posted on 24/5/12 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
I've been told Ceramic coating is supposed to be the ~Bees Knees~ for finishing & minimising

I would think for a pair of V8 manifolds you will be looking at at least £300. Anything less and the coating will not be any good.
We had an RS200 manifold done with the latest F1 spec stuff. Over £600!!!!!

Stainless mig wire - I have quite alot left on a part roll. I will weigh it, and check diameter

Colin

shaft

posted on 24/5/12 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nilocp

I would think for a pair of V8 manifolds you will be looking at at least £300. Anything less and the coating will not be any good.
We had an RS200 manifold done with the latest F1 spec stuff. Over £600!!!!!

Bandage it is then!

my opinion might be wrong you know...

My Zero Build Pics

matt_gsxr

posted on 24/5/12 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a roll of stainless wire from Halfords (<£20) and ended up using 3 disposable bottles of argon mix.

I am sure this isn't the cheapest way of making a manifold, but it was my first welding project.

Definitely a pro using TIG would be better but I enjoyed the process.

DIY Si

posted on 25/5/12 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the tips all.

Colin, if it's 0.8mm wire and there's enough there, I'll happily send some beer tokens your way.

Looks like I'll need some argon gas then. Just as well I've remembered I gave my brother one of Halford's disposable bottles, so that should save a few quid. And if it'll be that much for coating, I think I'll go with the wrapping! It'll also hide and dodgy welds I do!

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

clairetoo

posted on 25/5/12 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
I use arson/co2 for stainless MIG welding - pure arson is for tig only .

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

DIY Si

posted on 25/5/12 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
Ah. Having had a quick read on-line, most places said that the 20% CO2/Ar I've got wouldn't be ideal, but further digging has basically said it'll be fine. Just need to sort some wire now then.

Where did you buy your bends/collectors/pipe from Claire? I assume you've already found the cheapest place to get it from?

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

clairetoo

posted on 25/5/12 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
The bends were all from ebay - super tight bends , but I bought them ages ago intending to build manifolds for my Fury but........I just never got around to it !
The collectors I plasma cut at from sheet at work (from a cad-drawn template , rolled on the 3 in 1 sheet metal machine (again , at work....) , then welded and finish shaped in the shed

Just gonna go bolt it all on now - and start on megasquirt wiring

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

nilocp

posted on 26/5/12 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
OK, I have weighed what is left. 10kg!!!! And it is 0.8

Any use?

Colin

Peteff

posted on 26/5/12 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
I use arson/co2 for stainless MIG welding - pure arson is for tig only .

Is your spell checker doing overtime Claire or is it predictive text

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

DIY Si

posted on 27/5/12 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nilocp
OK, I have weighed what is left. 10kg!!!! And it is 0.8

Any use?

Colin

You have a PM!

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

muntieiow

posted on 2/6/12 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Welders warehouse has a good online site for all welding consumables at a good price.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.