Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT: House purchase advice
femster87

posted on 24/5/12 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
OT: House purchase advice

I was supposed to exchange today. Solicitor called about 2pm saying local search is not back yet, every other one is back and they have quoted 6th of June, despite the fact I paid 5 weeks ago. Vendor has signed contract to move to rented house on monday. Solicitor is suggesting an indeminity insurance which vendor seems eager to pay for. Anybody used this before? Pros & Cons.

If i stop where I am I would have to pay as well. Plus I wanted to use the bank holiday to have a good crack at moving all my stuff in and clearing things out

iank

posted on 24/5/12 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
I've had an indemnity paid for by the vendor against possible problems in the last but one house I bought. That was for an un-extinguished right of way going through a whole street of gardens (it had effectively been moved to a pavement along the road, but the builder couldn't be bothered to pay for the legal work to move it officially).

Never had to claim so no idea how much hassle it would be, but if you don't know it's basically an insurance policy against very unlikely events so they don't cost much to take out. You get paid compensation up to the value of the house if the unlikely event happens. I'd guess the wording is key on a policy like that so make sure your solicitor is on the ball.

I wouldn't be worried with an indemnity, unless it's possible a nuclear power station or wind farm will be built on the fields opposite your house, or there are old mine shafts nearby. If I thought there was a chance of having to claim I'd be more concerned.

p.s. you should have been told about the search not coming back a week at least before exchange not on the day.

[Edited on 24/5/12 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Hugh_

posted on 24/5/12 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
In for the bank holiday would be very quick from exchange to completion if there are mortgages involved, if its a cash purchase that's doable.

The pro's and con's will depend on the terms and conditions of the insurance, there might be something you aren't happy with that typically wouldnt be considered a massive problem. I dont have any experience of them though so they might have provisions in place for such occasions.

femster87

posted on 24/5/12 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
I know, I have called everyday and she kept saying we would exchange on Thursday.But today she said oh I thought local search would comeback today. Yeah its a policy to protect against things going wrong.
theduck

posted on 24/5/12 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Personally wouldn't do it.
femster87

posted on 24/5/12 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theduck

why?

mookaloid

posted on 24/5/12 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't exchange with out the searches being in.

Get your solicitor to ring up the council and hassle them. Have you paid the solicitor your deposit and is the mortgage money in place? You solicitor won't exchange if they are missing either - but they won't tell you this till you say "right the searches are in can we exchange now please?"

The Vendor will wait. They haven't got a lot of option. You are still in the driving seat because nobody else will be able to do it any quicker.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

mookaloid

posted on 24/5/12 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by femster87
quote:
Originally posted by theduck

why?

A bit about searches here

femster87

posted on 24/5/12 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
mookaloid, every other search is back. apart from the local one. house was built in 2001. I have copies of the land registry document showing, transfer to developing company, and also developing company transfer to current owner. Nothing seems dodgy so far. Yeap deposits paid and all extra crazy costs they have added for correspondence
mookaloid

posted on 24/5/12 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by femster87
mookaloid, every other search is back. apart from the local one. house was built in 2001. I have copies of the land registry document showing, transfer to developing company, and also developing company transfer to current owner. Nothing seems dodgy so far. Yeap deposits paid and all extra crazy costs they have added for correspondence

Sorry I've been let down, lied to, disappointed, blackmailed, bullied and bribed by Vendors, solicitors and building societies for years so maybe I'm a bit cynical.

Listen to the advice that your solicitor gives you, weigh it up and make your decision. For me the only way to do it is the right way and anything else is a short cut with associated hazards.

Good Luck!

Cheers

Mark

femster87

posted on 24/5/12 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Mark. I would have a conversation with Solicitor tomorrow.And weigh it all up
T66

posted on 24/5/12 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Solicitors on the whole talk a lot of sh1te, I moved house last summer and for about 5 weeks put up with various excuses why things hadnt quite moved along as they should of.

Do not rely on them to tell you the truth, they will say (or the 12 year who answers the phone for them) anything to get rid of you.

My advice - Ring them EVERY day, and visit them personally at least once a week unannounced. My highly recommended solicitor blamed the other side everytime for lack of progress with exchanging. Subsequently I went and visited the other sides solicitors and asked, surprise surprise all was in hand in the other sides offices, it was mine being incompetent.

After a friendly reaming out, we received £250 back in cash, and a letter from him to do free conveyancing when I next move.

Mine stalled nearly 2 weeks waiting for searches to return, sale nearly collapsed. My soilcitor wasnt chasing it up, when I rang the searches section of the council myself it was returned the next day once I had highlighted our predicament.

Dont believe all they say - ramp the pressure up on them..

femster87

posted on 24/5/12 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks gents I would call the local search office tomorrow
ash_hammond

posted on 24/5/12 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
You dont need local search for that area... I can tell you what its like...

Very dodgey indeed!!

.: www.mac1motorsports.co.uk | www.m1moc.com :.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.