Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: £210 for a crown!!
fullpint

posted on 13/6/12 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
£210 for a crown!!

Had my check-up today and my dentist wants to give me a Crown for £210!! I have a tooth that he seems to repair every year. Hes now saying I need a Crown or he can repair it again for £48.
I said ok lets go for a Crown. So I'm booked in for next week....... However Im now having second thoughts.. Surely i would be better off paying the £48 for a repair. Or am I just tight???

I've over 28 years in dealing with magnesium wheels. Refurbishment and can powder coat most metal parts. Visit my web site if you wish..
www.tpcs-magnesium-refurbs.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jabs

posted on 13/6/12 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
Well will have paid for it's self in just over 4 years and less dentist visits/injections etc..

£210 for a crown sounds quite reasonable as our dentist charges over £300

Ben_Copeland

posted on 13/6/12 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
As long as it doesn't fall off after a year!!

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

David Jenkins

posted on 13/6/12 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
Gold or white crown? I believe that the white ones are more expensive as they are often white material over a gold shell (i.e. more work to make).

I've got a couple of crowns - on the whole they're a 'fit and forget' option as long as there's enough original tooth to fix it to.

fullpint

posted on 13/6/12 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
Quote was for a White one. My question is; Will it fall out? I dont want to pay £210 only for the thing to fall out after a packet or two of pork crackles If it comes out after a year or two this then makes it expensive compared to a repair..

I've over 28 years in dealing with magnesium wheels. Refurbishment and can powder coat most metal parts. Visit my web site if you wish..

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Strontium Dog

posted on 13/6/12 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
I have a gold crowned molar. Been there for 17 years now. I guess it depends on whats left of your tooth and how good the dentist is!

http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x319/zephyr2000/General%20forum%20uploads/?action=view¤t=3DEngine.mp4

fullpint

posted on 13/6/12 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
Not a lot left mate. Already been filled a few times, had a root channel, last repair was about 8 months ago after a nice Sunday Pork roast.. 2 weeks ago I lost a bit of the tooth so its either repair or crown.. Or PULL IT OUT!

gunman

posted on 13/6/12 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
I had a crown 12 years ago and its still in there. I paid £185 12 years back for it too.
Agriv8

posted on 13/6/12 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
i have several crowns my white ones have been there 10 + years.

I have a gold one that I pull off every couple of years the dentist charges me a few quid to sitck it back on.

Crown or repted filling I would take a grown every time ( The drill both fast or slow makes me Wee Wee myself )

Atb Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

rb968

posted on 13/6/12 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
They don't have a lot of choice at NHS dentists there are only 3 charge bands..

NHS Dental Charges

Get anything else done that needs doing at the same time !

Rich

myke pocock

posted on 13/6/12 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Oh NUTS! I thought my prayers had come true and the Queen was having a closing down sale. I was going to offer her a couple of grand for the county pile in Scotland.
stevegough

posted on 13/6/12 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by myke pocock
Oh NUTS! I thought my prayers had come true and the Queen was having a closing down sale. I was going to offer her a couple of grand for the county pile in Scotland.

You just beat me to it, Mike - I was going to have a little quip along the lines of "I know of one who's had hers for just over 60 years...."

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

fullpint

posted on 14/6/12 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Well I just cant justy that £210 so I have just called them up and changed my treatment to a '£48 repair' job
This way is saves me money which I could put towards a toy

40inches

posted on 14/6/12 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
You can have crowns made from Amalgam, I have 2, one for over 4 years, and the other done last month, £95 done privately.
The dentist clamped an adjustable mould around the tooth, filled it then shaped and polished it.

David Jenkins

posted on 14/6/12 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
Amalgam? Do you know that it's approx 50% mercury? When dentists remove old amalgam fillings they have to dispose of the material as hazardous waste!

Mercury Amalgam

40inches

posted on 14/6/12 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Amalgam? Do you know that it's approx 50% mercury? When dentists remove old amalgam fillings they have to dispose of the material as hazardous waste!

Mercury Amalgam

There are different forms of dental amalgam. My dentist uses composite amalgam or Indium/Mercury amalgam if a stronger material is needed, the Indium helps to neutralise the Mercury.

fullpint

posted on 20/6/12 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Well today I had my treatment.. Final bill was £48... Yep I went for a repair in the end.
Mind you he asked 'What do you do'.. So I told him I refurbish wheels etc.. Looks like he wants his CLK and Audi wheels done.. Awesome, this means I may be able to do a deal with him!!! A free 'Crown'. in return for a free refurb on a set of wheels

omega 24 v6

posted on 20/6/12 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Mind you he asked 'What do you do'.. So I told him I refurbish wheels etc.. Looks like he wants his CLK and Audi wheels done.. Awesome, this means I may be able to do a deal with him!!! A free 'Crown'. in return for a free refurb on a set of wheels

Perect way to do business and hrmc does not get a cut as no cash changed hands LOL
( before someone more pedantic comes along and corrects me I'm sure he has his way of getting something out of a deal like this.)

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

stevegough

posted on 20/6/12 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Says it all......Dentist has a Merc AND an Audi......
No wonder I'm fed up to the back teeth with dental charges!....

Coat.....

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

SteveWalker

posted on 20/6/12 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
The private dentist near hear usually has a Porsche, a Range Rover and an Aston-Martin parked outside.

They do charge around £800 for a root canal and crown Sometimes it's worth it though, as one dentist will do the root canal, then another will prepare the tooth for a crown, photograph it, produce an electronic design for it and then you wait while the machine upstairs makes the crown and the second dentist fits it. One afternoon off rather than three separate afternoons is financially worth it to me - even the NHS dentist will charge over £400 quid for the better crowns that the NHS refuse to fund and two afternoons off can cost me the rest.

owelly

posted on 20/6/12 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
I needed to visit the dentist. I hadn't been for 20 years but I was in agony. I'd even tried to pull out the tooth myself but ended up needing four stitches where my pliers had slipped and cut the inside of my mouth!
Kind dentist did root canal, an extraction and four fillings. Total cost.....
Urgent treatment: band 1. Which was £17ish.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.