Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Unexplained XP Shutdown
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 15/6/12 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
Unexplained XP Shutdown

I've gone back to using a PC from a few years ago running xp professional. I spent most of yesterday clearing some pretty nasty viruses and spyware off.

When I was running the various programs to clear the crap, I would periodically have a BSOD and a load of error text stream down the screen before it promptly shut down. It was too quick to read but I was wondering whether if xp stores shutdown logs anywhere.

Alternatively can a virus cause these types of symptoms I say this as it hasn't happened since I finished cleaning the pc. I left it on overnight doing some processing and it has been fine. Any ideas?

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

blakep82

posted on 15/6/12 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
if its the blue screen one, when you restart, it should ask if you want to send an error report, when you do this it also checks the status of the error, so click on close on the error reporting window, then another pops up with a blue link for more info, press that and it'll tell you the reason, and might tell you how to fix it

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

mcerd1

posted on 15/6/12 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
I've had a couple full of viruses and spyware like that...

in the end I've always just formatted the HDD and started again from scratch - I found even once they are cleaned out XP can get a bit unstable flaky, a clean install is much better

-

snakebelly

posted on 15/6/12 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
I agree, full format reinstall then update the hell out of it, the xp install won't take long the updates on the other hand can take hours, if your struggling for an xp disk stop me a u2u
britishtrident

posted on 15/6/12 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Could a hard disk related problem.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

jamesbond007ltk

posted on 15/6/12 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
If you want to read what the BSOD says you can disable automatic restart.

Open up system in control panel (or right click onmy computer and go to properties), go to the advanced tab, then under "Startup and recovery" click settings. About 60% down the startup and recovery dialogue box you will be a check box against automatic restart. Untick it.

Next time you get a BSOD it will stop and you will have to manually restart.

That is provided you want to try to fix the problem.

To be honest, unless there is important data on the HDD I would perform a reinstall with full reformat. It will take a while to do but save you loads of time in the long run and give you a nice clean and fast system

Rich

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 18/6/12 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
I was in a hell of a rush chaps and ended up finishing my report in safe mode and then formatting and installing windows 7

Interestingly, the shutdowns could occur at any times but the pc would always shut down when i launched google chrome...everytime

It seems fine now after the reinstall. Its the first time ive had a desktop for about 5 years and im quite enjoying tinkering again.

Thanks for your help chaps

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.