Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Stair-lifts?
David Jenkins

posted on 17/6/12 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Stair-lifts?

I'm sure someone here will know the answer to this!

What's the typical cost of a stair-lift? Ground floor to first floor, right-angled bend at the top, 3 stairs after the bend. Solid wall on one side, power socket nearby.

The reason I'm asking is that my 88-year-old mother-in-law fell and broke her hip a couple of months ago and the medics are reluctant to let her go home until she can get up and down the stairs - bedroom and only bathroom is upstairs.

PAUL FISHER

posted on 17/6/12 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
A guy next door has had one fitted for his wife, he told me it was £2800 fiited, dog leg stair case so it curves round, I think the straight ones are alot cheaper.
bobinspain

posted on 17/6/12 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
Just an observation which may save you some dough.
My old mum had a stairlift fitted and a brand new mobility scooter. Admittedly, it was a few years back, but I would guess the principle remains the same:--- When she died less than a year later, we couldn't give either away.
Folk who need them aren't likely to be in a position to sell them on, and many will have had little use, so where do second-hand mobility aids end up?
Just a thought.
Good luck.

Check on ebay. There's 500+ of 'em.

[Edited on 17/6/12 by bobinspain]

Dave Ashurst

posted on 17/6/12 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
^^^ good thinking..
zilspeed

posted on 17/6/12 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
In this part of the world, this would be done by the local Council.

This is regardless of whether or not she is a tenant or an owner occupier.

If she's an owner occupier, it would be covered by a Home Improvement Grant on the grounds that it's an adaptation for a disabled person.

What she needs is the involvement of a local authority Occupational Therapist who will come out and do an assessment and if she needs one it'll be fitted free of charge.

They're continually recycling them as their users have what is most politely described as a finite lifetime.

You might guess, this is my line of work.

If this isn't suitable, they could also do her a through floor lift.

If you need any further advice, feel free to message me.

Edited to add, I can give you accurate costs tomorrow, but anywhere from 2500 grand up.

[Edited on 17/6/12 by zilspeed]

rusty nuts

posted on 17/6/12 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
My younger brother has had one installed recently , have a word with your mothers occupational therapists
avagolen

posted on 17/6/12 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
Dito with the Occupational Therapist.

My dear old mother in law had one, organised when she was living with us, as she was not mobile enough to go home
after a hip operation - we have a loo/washroom downstairs.
After its first year, when it was out of warranty, we signed it over to the local authorities and they then owned it.
They organised and paid for all maintenance, and when she no longer needed it, they took it away
so they could re-use it.

Len.

The Answer for everything, but never the last word....

David Jenkins

posted on 17/6/12 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
The trouble with the occupational therapist is that the service my in-laws are getting from the NHS and local services in Swansea has so far been abysmal (I'm not going for the Long Whinge but, to summarise, we get the impression that no-one is interested because they are old).

Thanks for all the info so far - it gives me a clue or two. Just found out that she's likely to be in hospital for 5 or 6 weeks more, so for the time being we're just working out options.

It doesn't help that we live on the other side of the country...

zilspeed

posted on 17/6/12 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
If you contact the local councillor, you'd be particularly amazed at how much the council staff will see things your way.

Works every time.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.