Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: LSD diff help
JeffJeffers

posted on 24/6/12 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
LSD diff help

I have been clocking up the mileage on my recently finished MK Indy 2.0 Zetec.
I plan to use it mainly on the road but will hopefully do the odd track day and run down the drag strip.

My current diff is a 3.77 non LSD.
I have had a 2nd chance offer on a 3.62 LSD diff for £100.

My question is should I spend my money would I see any benefit?
I have been told by someone that a LSD diff will make the car very tail happy is this right?

Oh the other thing is my current diff has push in shafts and the other has bolt on so would have a bit of extra work.

monck

posted on 24/6/12 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
Im currently fitting a LSD in mine

At £100 for a LSD id buy it anyway i paid more and thought i got a bargain!!

ssc28

posted on 25/6/12 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
I'll do a straight swap with you for your 3:77 for a 3:62 lsd if you are interested. I'll also be in lincolnshire on the 8th July if you can wait until then.

[Edited on 25/6/12 by ssc28]

JeffJeffers

posted on 25/6/12 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ssc28
I'll do a straight swap with you for your 3:77 for a 3:62 lsd if you are interested. I'll also be in lincolnshire on the 8th July if you can wait until then.

[Edited on 25/6/12 by ssc28]

You have U2U.

gunman

posted on 25/6/12 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Are we talking sierra LSD? I changed my diff from a standard to a sierra lsd and I haven'f found it tail happy at all (yet), although I have yet to drive it in the wet. I think the viscous type aren't as tail happy as the plate type as they are more progressive. I used to get tail wobble when giving the car the beans from stand still with the std diff, no longer an issue with lsd. Plus, it meant I was able to go rear discs instead of drums.

BTW, I picked up the whole rear end of a sierra xr4x4 with brakes and all for £50 but that was about the biggest bargain I'll ever find most likely.

Rickabilly

posted on 6/7/12 at 01:51 AM Reply With Quote
Hello All,
I agree with comments above any working LSD for £100 is good value,
regarding whether or not it will dramatically change handling depends very much on the individual setup of your car, unless two cars are identically built and setup they will have a different reaction to the fitting of LSDs and for that matter LSDs of different types and with differing setups and wear will cause different handling changes in the same car.

A really harsh LSD in a lightweight car can cause tail happy behaviour, providing you have the power available to break traction with both rear tyres, however if you keep the power below this extreme point the car will continue to drive long after the same car with an open diff had lost all drive due to a spinning inside wheel.

Where a "progressive" LSD will often not even be noticed at under normal circumstances, only being evident when under heavy accelleration on bends.

For a really good result using LSDs sometimes changing suspension spring rates and anti roll bars is required, but only when "super tuning" for ultimate handling and traction.

I'd buy it and at least save it for a rainy day!

Best Regards
Rick

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.