Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: pinto motorcraft ign
rash12

posted on 25/6/12 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
pinto motorcraft ign

hi im sure this has been covered before but can anyone help with a wirirng diag for a pinto with basic motorcraft electronic ign
thanks in advance

jacko

posted on 25/6/12 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Is that the amplifier with 6 wires ?
if so i have a paper that has this
green/yellow --dizzy
black/red --dizzy
black---+side of coil
green---to -- side of coil and rev counter
black/green to----no50 ign switch
brown ----neg battery
There is also a black that goes from the + side of coil to no 15 on the ign switch
and a red that goes from batters to no 10 on ign switch

I have never used this but the info came off locostbuilders about 8 or so year ago
jacko

It says its for a inductive discharge ing circuit pri 85 2l pinto
2 wire dizzy with vac / centrifgal advance

[Edited on 25/6/12 by jacko]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rash12

posted on 25/6/12 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
hi jacko its got about a dozen wires coming out of the ign unit 3 go to the dizzy on a multiplug its the rest im struggling with ?
jacko

posted on 25/6/12 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Its not one i have the wireing for then sorry.
can you post a photo of it it may help someone help you
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Xtreme Kermit

posted on 25/6/12 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Is it this one?

Locost linky do

which references this

http://www.colinusher.info/Robin%20Hood/wireap8.html

rash12

posted on 26/6/12 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
thanks kermit for the link mine has 12 wires 3 go to the dizzy will try to post a pic later this eve see if anyone can throw any ideas
thanks

jamesbond007ltk

posted on 26/6/12 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Any idea what car/van your engine/iginition came out of?

I have an old sierra Haynes manual at home that IIRC has mutliple electronic ignition setups in it which may be of help. Might even have a old transit one if that was your donor.

Rich

rash12

posted on 26/6/12 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
not sure all i know its a 2.0 pinto 205 block and it says motocraft on the ignitin module sorry not much to go on there is also a vacuum connection on the module ?

[Edited on 26/6/12 by rash12]

jamesbond007ltk

posted on 26/6/12 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
It sounds like an ESC2 module to me. This was fitted to later sierra's to improve economy, driveability etc.

It makes use of a number of devices that were not present on the 6-wire systems such as inlet manifolds heater, carb stepper motor etc.

Are you running standard carbs etc?

Personally I would change over to hall effect 6 wire system if you can find one, or better still an after market electronic ignition system.

Wiring diagram for waht I think you have can be found here: Haynes - Sierra Wiring, page 1, item 45 located at B5.

Other chapters of the same manual can be found here if anyone hasn't gpt them already: Haynes - All chapters

Rich

ETA: According to the Haynes the ESC2 was only fitted to the 1.8. Did your ignitin come off a different donor from the engine? Haynes could just be lying of course.

[Edited on 26/6/12 by jamesbond007ltk]

rash12

posted on 26/6/12 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
not sure the distributor came with the engine and its on bike carbs was in a 7 on here at some point in its life im putting it my dutton but i am strugling with the wiring i cant use my original dist of my old engine as its to tall and it fouls the inlet manifold so it looks like i will have to use this ign module
cryoman1965

posted on 26/6/12 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jamesbond007ltk
It sounds like an ESC2 module to me. This was fitted to later sierra's to improve economy, driveability etc.

It makes use of a number of devices that were not present on the 6-wire systems such as inlet manifolds heater, carb stepper motor etc.

Are you running standard carbs etc?

Personally I would change over to hall effect 6 wire system if you can find one, or better still an after market electronic ignition system.

Wiring diagram for waht I think you have can be found here: Haynes - Sierra Wiring, page 1, item 45 located at B5.

Other chapters of the same manual can be found here if anyone hasn't gpt them already: Haynes - All chapters

Rich

ETA: According to the Haynes the ESC2 was only fitted to the 1.8. Did your ignitin come off a different donor from the engine? Haynes could just be lying of course.

[Edited on 26/6/12 by jamesbond007ltk]

This bit is correct, it came out of my old car. Will do a bit of digging

rash12

posted on 26/6/12 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the reply much appreciated hope you find the details
cryoman1965

posted on 26/6/12 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
http://nw.rhocar.org/inductive_ign.htm

Try this. It is from a 2 ltr not a 1.8 but COULD be the same as you only want the basic connections

HTH

N

jamesbond007ltk

posted on 27/6/12 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Looking at the wiring diaram on the link I posted above and as cryoman has said it would apper you can operate your module in the same way as the more basic 6 wire version. My setup uses the 2-wire inductive trigger dizzy so I am not familiar with the hall effect dizzy.

Having had a second look at the wiring diagram the only 'extra devices' on the ESC2 are the manifold heater relay and coolant temperature sensor. You might find the system runs permanently choked or unchocked without the temp. The latter would not really be a problem apart from cold starting. It may be that the temp sensor is only used to operate the manifold heater relay and has no effect on ignition. In which case no worrie there.

All other connections appear to be earths and for octane adjustment. I believe, but please consult the haynes manual, that the octane adjustment can be left disconnected and is only connected for sub 95 RON.

HTH

Rich

rash12

posted on 27/6/12 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
rich
ive managed to trace the diag from the link you put on for me the only thing is i just wanted to double check some items but the key is for the later set of diagrams not for the early ones but apparently i only need to use the basic wires to the dizzy,coil eathr and a supply to the unit

jamesbond007ltk

posted on 27/6/12 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rash12
rich
ive managed to trace the diag from the link you put on for me the only thing is i just wanted to double check some items but the key is for the later set of diagrams not for the early ones but apparently i only need to use the basic wires to the dizzy,coil eathr and a supply to the unit

Yeah, I had that problem earlier too. if you look at page 22 onwards of this pdf :Wiring Key
you will see the correct item list.

Rich

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.