Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Where is reverse? Ford 5 speed box.
markie76

posted on 28/6/12 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Where is reverse? Ford 5 speed box.

Hi Guys,

I just bought a JC Locust WIde Body Sports.

I have a few jobs that need doing on it but my immediate concerns are there is no horn and I can't find reverse gear...

Its been off the road for 2 years but 2ltr pinto engine runs fine and I'm told it has a 5 speed Type 9 gearbox (Sierra/cortina running gear).

But I can't find reverse - there is no shift pattern on the gear knob. The shift pattern seems to be;

1 3 5

2 4

I would expect R to be below 5th - but pushing down in that direction the lever doesn't travel far and the reversing light doesn't come on. I've also tried left and up of 1 - seems to be no travel in that direction whatsoever. Also tried pushing down on the shifter while trying under 5th and to the left of 1st - but nothing.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

[Edited on 28/6/12 by markie76]

does it go any faster....?

blakep82

posted on 28/6/12 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
push down on the lever and its up next to 1st

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

deezee

posted on 28/6/12 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Gearbox pattern is below. Push down for reverse.
R 1 3 5
__2 4__

[Edited on 28/6/12 by deezee]

deltron63

posted on 28/6/12 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
R 1 3 5
2 4

markie76

posted on 28/6/12 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
push down on the lever and its up next to 1st

quote:
Originally posted by deezee
Gearbox pattern is below. Push down for reverse.
R 1 3 5
__2 4__

[Edited on 28/6/12 by deezee]

quote:
Originally posted by deltron63
R 1 3 5
2 4

Thanks for the replies.

I've tried pushing down and then up next to left - but nothing. (this is like my MK1 golf - you push down & lever goes left & up)
The lever on this doesn't seem to have any downward movement

Has something worn out?
OR
Is it a different gearbox? - what is a quick way to confirm what it is?

Chippy

posted on 28/6/12 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
You positive that its a type 9, could be an MT75, in which case it will have a flange under the gear lever knob that you pull up to select reverse. Just a thought. HTH Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

snapper

posted on 29/6/12 at 05:19 AM Reply With Quote
MT75
Below 5th
Pull up and back

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Oddified

posted on 29/6/12 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
Post a picture of the box to be sure what you have

Ian

Furyous

posted on 29/6/12 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
You might need to move the lever into second then move it towards first while putting pressure to the left. I found on my Type 9 that the slot for reverse wasn't quite in line with neutral.

There's also something about a plastic saddle someone else can go into detail about.

Westy1994

posted on 29/6/12 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
If it's anything like my box, you just move it far left and up without any downward movement at all, this has caught me out a few times at traffic lights
markie76

posted on 17/7/12 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delay in responding. Pics of my box (what I can see of it from the engine bay);

[Edited on 17/7/12 by markie76]

mookaloid

posted on 17/7/12 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
I came across a type 9 (yours looks like one) where the downward movement to get it past the gate to reverse seemed to have seized. A squirt of wd40 at the base of the lever sorted it.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

markie76

posted on 8/8/12 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Furyous
You might need to move the lever into second then move it towards first while putting pressure to the left. I found on my Type 9 that the slot for reverse wasn't quite in line with neutral.

There's also something about a plastic saddle someone else can go into detail about.

quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
I came across a type 9 (yours looks like one) where the downward movement to get it past the gate to reverse seemed to have seized. A squirt of wd40 at the base of the lever sorted it.

Thanks guys. I can get into reverse by going into second then with left and downward pressure. It's a bit hit & miss/stiff and when the weather improves I'll take the gear lever boot off and see whats going on under there.

silky16v

posted on 8/8/12 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by markie76
quote:
Originally posted by Furyous

quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid

Thanks guys. I can get into reverse by going into second then with left and downward pressure. It's a bit hit & miss/stiff and when the weather improves I'll take the gear lever boot off and see whats going on under there.

get a new selector fitted will change the whole feel to the gear changes at a guess you probs have a worn linkage system

markie76

posted on 8/8/12 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
get a new selector fitted will change the whole feel to the gear changes at a guess you probs have a worn linkage system

Yes I do like a firm diciplined working gear change!

What do you mean by new selector? The whole gearlever mechanism mounted outside the box? Sounds expensive?

silky16v

posted on 8/8/12 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

What do you mean by new selector? The whole gearlever mechanism mounted outside the box? Sounds expensive?

something like this i do believe, but ring and check first

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.ph p?products_id=2009&osCsid=k3199fnh280ek76ek692mh0150

http://www.motorsport-tools .com/heavy-duty-works-spec-5-speed-type9-gear-lever-rose-jointed-quick-shift-p-268397.html

[Edited on 8/8/12 by silky16v]

markie76

posted on 1/9/12 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silky16v
quote:

something like this i do believe, but ring and check first

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.ph p?products_id=2009&osCsid=k3199fnh280ek76ek692mh0150

http://www.motorsport-tools .com/heavy-duty-works-spec-5-speed-type9-gear-lever-rose-jointed-quick-shift-p-268397.html

Oooh, these seem a bit pricey...

Are they a 'guaranteed fix'? IE if I buy and fit one will it definately fix it or could there be something further down the line which causes/contributes to a still reverse gear engagement?

rusty nuts

posted on 2/9/12 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
Forget about expensive quickshifts, have a look at David Jenkins website for an easy locost remote and quickshift that works just as well as the expensive ones, mine cost a total of £0.92 to make.Remember type 9 synchros are not the best and the problem is made worse by rapid gearchanges. Chances are that the plastic "saddle" at the base of the gear lever that clips on to the selector is worn , cost about a couple of quid and its just a case of removing the gear lever to fit it. Use plenty of lubrication when refitting the gear lever to make gear changes smooth

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.