Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: PhD student wanted!
chrsgrain

posted on 3/7/12 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
PhD student wanted!

Hi all,

This is VERY off topic, but I have got funding for 2 PhD students to join our group investigating the effects of environmental nano particles on human lung health, starting at Southampton University in October. The studentships are funded by the British Lung Foundation and the Institute for Life Sciences, and offer great training.

Trying the normal route for advertising these hasn't been especially successful, so I thought I'd try here, as you lot seem to be able to solve pretty much any problem!

We're after good postgraduates from either a biology / life sciences or physical sciences background, and a PM to me will get the ball rolling......

Thanks!

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

v8kid

posted on 3/7/12 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Good grief! I thought you would be inundated in 2 minuites!

I'm a mature Ph.D. student and believe me guys it is the best thing since sliced bread. You get to play with concepts that are intensely interesting and really intelligent people are falling over themselves to help you!

What's more the money is good - you don't pay any taxes or local authority charges and the students union has cheap (ish) beer.

Also when you have a day like I've had today where 6 months of graft are rewarded with a really successful experiment the buzz is better than anything else!

Oh yes! I forgot to mention the employment rate amongst Ph.D. grads is high - in my discipline over 100% ( its so much fun we have 2 jobs)

Just do it.

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 3/7/12 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
If we could agree to 'forget' the fact that I have a PhD (Physical Chem.) and ignore my age (50), I'd gladly apply. If, however, a PDRA position comes up....
As you say, this is may not be the forum for this sort of thing per se, but it's got to be better than New Scientist (cheaper too).

In addition, I have a 1st class Hons. (Chem.), a varied publications list along with many years international postdoctoral experience. Three industrial (Pharma.) employs have all folded, I'm currently delivering groceries to the old and morbidly obese, therefore immediately available.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.