Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: google street view
A1

posted on 4/7/12 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
google street view

Is nobody concerned about the security issue of streetview? you can spot where certain cars live, surely im not the only person who realises the potential?
blakep82

posted on 4/7/12 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
you can also spot where certain cars live by walking down any street in the country...
makes no odds whether its on the internet or walking by foot really. doesn't give me any issues

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

owelly

posted on 4/7/12 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
And streetview isn't live. I have an rather nice MR2 parked on my drive on streetview. Thats was the previous owners from over three years ago.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 4/7/12 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
I'm not too concerned about it. My Ferrari was in the garage when the Google streetview camera came round.........

Phil

mcerd1

posted on 4/7/12 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
its been said before when they first started doing it, but like owelly says alot of it quite out of date now...

besides I got a photo of your car without any help from google

-

Mr Whippy

posted on 4/7/12 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
Street view images are often well out of date, my house is shown over 3 years ago, using it to case cars etc would be a very time consuming and pointless exercise with no guarantee that a car was not just visiting or the person still lives there

Web cams of streets might be more useful to a very lucky thief who may be lucky enough to see someone parking their Ferrari in a lockup etc but I doubt they have ever been used in such unproductive way

I've been selling a lot of stuff recently on gumtree etc and I'm finding a lot of replies just ask for where I live. I just give them my mobile number rather than any details as basically they could be anyone including thief’s who are just looking for where stuff is kept so that they can rob your garage during the day when they expect you'll be out. It's often better to meet them at a shopping centre car park if it is for trivial things like wheels etc.

Interestingly non of the ones who just asked where I lived and I only gave them a phone number ever got back in touch which makes me think they are just thieving scum...

[Edited on 4/7/12 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
D Beddows

posted on 4/7/12 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
If you're a toe rag of that persuasion it would be far quicker and easier for you and a mate to drive round the area than use Street View
designer

posted on 4/7/12 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
I understood that you can have your property obscured on streetview.
Mr Whippy

posted on 4/7/12 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
It's probably worth mentioning, do take a look around when taking photos of parts to sell etc

Potential thieves maybe more interested in the items they can see in the background rather than the item itself, they may even view just to get the location, better to take a photo that only shows the item or crop anything you don't what them to see

Just assume there are folk only looking to see what they can steal

adithorp

posted on 4/7/12 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
As said, there'smuch easier ways of finding cars (like walking down the street) than searching 3year old footage and hoping the car is still there.

"...It's often better to meet them at a shopping centre car park if it is for trivial things like wheels etc..."

If I was buying a set of wheels and you wanted to meet in an anonymous place and not give me an address (just an untracable mobilenumber), I'd asume they were knicked!

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

jossey

posted on 4/7/12 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Be more worried about the vulnerabilities in insurance and dvla databases which hold details of your car.

A hacker who wanted a specific car would just hack an online insurance database and search for the car he wants or just goto a car garage and steal one.

But If people want to use street view then let them. On my drive was a nice 5 series BMW if they turn up today it's just a Mazda lol

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

matt_gsxr

posted on 4/7/12 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Who cares, our roses look lovely. Much better than in real life.
dhutch

posted on 4/7/12 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
According to google im a beatle fan, with several in various states of build.... hate the things, but there we go!

Daniel

D Beddows

posted on 4/7/12 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
You're building Robot versions of the Beatles!? ambitious but I like your style!
Westy1994

posted on 4/7/12 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
I understood that you can have your property obscured on streetview.

You can sort of, it's not obscured and you can still see the house and drive from afar, but it will not let you click to view the house from directly infront of it, all it does is go to the next set of photos which show the house from another angle, I guess you could get them to block those as well, but I haven't bothered. I did it because my garage doors could be seen from the ' straight on ' view and would have been easy to case the joint before attempting to visit..........

morcus

posted on 4/7/12 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
people worry about things like this all the time when there are far easier ways people could case a joint. It's like people who feel the need to blur out number plates in car ads based on some sort of securtiy worry, sometimes it's even done in such a stupid way that you can read the whole plate anyway by looking at all of the pictures.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 5/7/12 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
I dont see streetview as an issue. If someone want to nick your car, they can see you driving it, and follow you home, if its the particular car they want. And for nicking, most burglars dont have the intelligence to use a computer, they just scope out an area and nick whats easy. People leaving properties in the dark, keys on view, windows open in the summer, not locking doors etc. You dont really need a computer to look around an area, feet and a car do that quite well. You can also nowadays I suspect go to any house and find a flatcreen tv, etc, to nick.

I think a bigger risk is rightmove property website. You know where the house is, and there are pictures of all the rooms, it must look like a argos catalog to a burglar.

ATB

steve

D Beddows

posted on 6/7/12 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
Completely off topic but Bloody Hell!! Stephen Gusterson! - there's a blast from the past, where've you been hiding all these years!? ever finish your Morgan look a like?
jamesbond007ltk

posted on 6/7/12 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
Unless of course you know where to look: Garage

Just in case anyone is wondering I'm not being an idiot and pointng someone in the direction of a car and garage full of tools;

For any would be theives trawling the internet I should point out that my car has not been at this location for ~6 years. As for the tools, they were nicked out of this garage ~6 years ago but due to prying local eyes and not streetview or indeed aerial view.

I just like having my car on Google Maps!!

To answer the original post, I don't see street view as a security risk for cars.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 10/7/12 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Mr Beddows - yes, im kinda back, search on my recent posts and ye shall know

Seems we both went the same route with an MX5 instead.

Sorry for the hijack

[Edited on 10/7/12 by stephen_gusterson]

TheGiantTribble

posted on 10/7/12 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
IMHO if there are some sado types trawling through Google street view pictures, they are more likely to be interested if an image is not there, on the 'if someone has asked to be removed, think what they must have' principle.
morcus

posted on 10/7/12 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
The old Striesand's condo theorem.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.