Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which camera?
Mark Allanson

posted on 8/7/12 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Which camera?

I presently have a Panasonic FZ28 with 18x zoom (it isn't a true 18x, just 18x the wide angle focal length, it is more like 12x in SLR terms). In the film era, I had a SLR with a couple of lenses and loved it.

The Panasonic is quite good, the image quality at the full zoom end is poor, and there is lots of noise in low light, so I was considering an upgrade.

The one I most like the look of at the moment is the Nikon D3200, it has 24mpx and an 18-55 lens which is wide angle to about 1.5x zoom, to get anyway near the Panasonic zoom I would need a 55-300 AF-S zoom, the Camera and kit lens and the telephoto would cost about £800.

Does anyone have hands on experience of this camera or recommend anything better? (within the same price range)

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Proby

posted on 8/7/12 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
The D3200 is the replacement for the model I bought last year, the D3100. It was my first step up from a compact, and has been an easy camera to learn the 'basics'. I've added to the 18-55 kit lens with a Nikon 55-300 VR, and a Nikon 50mm 1.8 prime lens. One of the downfalls of these 'entry level' DSLR's is that there is no auto focus motor in the body, leaving you restricted to a limited number of lenses as they need to have the motor built in the lens.
Mark Allanson

posted on 8/7/12 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Are you pleased with it? Any problems?

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

bj928

posted on 8/7/12 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
the d3200 is gettng good reviews, i'm getting one later this year, i've got a nikon already but a cheaper one, and its a good camera, if u get d3200 try and find a friend going to america, they're only about £450 in america, from what i've seen uk price is about £650-700, if bought in montana no sales tax either (vat), i'm working in america so i'm sorted, won't be home till xmas at the earliest or i'd offer to get u one out here, bestbuy.com is like currys out here, look see what they are there.

[Edited on 8/7/12 by bj928]

[Edited on 8/7/12 by bj928]

Mark Allanson

posted on 8/7/12 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
They are down to around £530 on Amazon at the moment, dropping by about £20 a month - when do I blink!

Mark Allanson

posted on 8/7/12 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the USA offer, but I would rather have a UK guaranteed one

RIE

posted on 8/7/12 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
(it isn't a true 18x, just 18x the wide angle focal length...

That is an 18x zoom, as that is how it is defined

The Nikon with 18-55 and 55-300 will give you most of the focal lengths you're likely to need.

The 50mm lens is a common buy because they are cheap and good quality. Be aware though that on most DSLRs its a short telephoto lens, good for portraiture. A 'normal' lens on a DSLR would be about about 32-35mm.

Mark Allanson

posted on 8/7/12 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RIE
quote:
(it isn't a true 18x, just 18x the wide angle focal length...

That is an 18x zoom, as that is how it is defined

The Nikon with 18-55 and 55-300 will give you most of the focal lengths you're likely to need.

The 50mm lens is a common buy because they are cheap and good quality. Be aware though that on most DSLRs its a short telephoto lens, good for portraiture. A 'normal' lens on a DSLR would be about about 32-35mm.

The definition of the zoom is only recent, lenses used to have an honest value, i.e a 10x zoom lens made the image 10x bigger at full length, just like binoculars and telescopes.

Proby

posted on 8/7/12 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Are you pleased with it? Any problems?

I'm chuffed with it, no problems at all. Bought myself a couple of books for learning the basics, and away I went. Love the camera, I have just been shooting as much as possible to get my practice in. I did lots of reading reviews before my initial purchase, and the 3100 came out tops for its level/price.

austin man

posted on 8/7/12 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
I use the Sont A series and am more than happy with it, horses for courses really, I started with the a200 and now also have the A580 which gives me 8frames per second or more so good for action shots, it is compatible with the Minolta mount leses so can save a bit on lenses, The stability is inbuilt into the camera unlike other wher the lens has stability control leading to a dearer lens. More than happy with the quality Offers Video, 3d and Panorama as well. The new A57 is getting good reviews at the momment this uses mirrorless technology something Sony appear to be leading the way with

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Proby

posted on 9/7/12 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
For some reason I stated I had a 50mm 1.8 prime, that was wrong, it is a 35mm 1.8. It pretty much gives a 'normal' view, pretty close to what most human eyes see as there field of vision when attached to my DX body (3100).
Mark Allanson

posted on 9/7/12 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
That is what I thought you meant, realize that on a full frame 50mm = 1x magnification, 100mm = 2x........... On the Nikon, it has the APS-C which gives a 1.5 multiplier, so a 55mm-300mm will give a 1.5x to 9x zoom - very useable

Mark Allanson

posted on 9/7/12 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Before I take the plunge (the most I have spent on anything other than a house of a car), does anyone see a better deal anywhere than here?

I keep almost hitting the pay now button but pull back instinctively!

UncleFista

posted on 9/7/12 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Your link just shows an empty "cart"

I assume you've checked hotUKdeals for offers ? You never know

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

billy

posted on 9/7/12 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
As posted on hotukdeals Olympus E-PL1 12MP Compact System Camera with 14-42mm lens.  £199 at Argos, showing 3 instock at Taunton

luego-lo-cost finished,vauxhall 16v 2.0,twin 45s de-dion rear set up

Mark Allanson

posted on 9/7/12 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UncleFista

Ah, not logged in, the Nikon D3200 camera with 18-55 lens at £515.99 and the matching AF & VR 55-300 zoon at £225.90 (Gulp!)

stephen_gusterson

posted on 10/7/12 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
HI Mark. One of the many regulars I remember from the past

I have a couple cameras, the panasonic lumix ZX1 (not made now) is great for the pocket but my Canon EOS 500Dis far far better.

I didnt buy the new 550D at the time (about 9 months ago) as I felt the outgoing 500D had better reviews.

I think one of the key issues is sensor size. A lot of small cameras have 1/6 inch CCD sensors. As the size of the photodiodes in the sensor is related to signal to noise, then a little sensor is never going to cut it. The 500D has a sensor of something like 22x16mm area, and as a result the noise, sensitivty and performance are far better. However, carrying around an SLR isnt always convenient. But if you dont mind size, then an SLR is better, or perhaps there are compact cams that dont use such a tiny sensor size around?

ATB

steve

Proby

posted on 10/7/12 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by UncleFista

Ah, not logged in, the Nikon D3200 camera with 18-55 lens at £515.99 and the matching AF & VR 55-300 zoon at £225.90 (Gulp!)

I've had a quick scout around and i think those are good prices! I bought my Nikon 55-300 VR second hand for £200, so £225 new ain't bad.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.