Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Vin number on my mk indy help
Davegtst

posted on 10/7/12 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Vin number on my mk indy help

I've just started filing in the iva application forms and seem to have fallen at the first hurdle. The vin number stamped into the chasis and on the chasis plate start with MKINDYR2010000. The problem is it has an I in it. Surely MK wouldn't stamp their chasis with a vin number that would automatically fail the iva. There are plenty of mk owners out there, what has everyone done about it?
vanepico

posted on 10/7/12 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
change it to a 1?
loggyboy

posted on 10/7/12 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davegtst
I've just started filing in the iva application forms and seem to have fallen at the first hurdle. The vin number stamped into the chasis and on the chasis plate start with MKINDYR2010000. The problem is it has an I in it. Surely MK wouldn't stamp their chasis with a vin number that would automatically fail the iva. There are plenty of mk owners out there, what has everyone done about it?

You would think wouldnt you - Raw did exectly the same with mine:

I have now changed it to a 1.

Mistral Motorsport

Davegtst

posted on 10/7/12 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
So I need to change it to a 1 then and get a new chasis plate made up. My god I have never encountered such an incompetent company in my life. Is there no end to their cock ups. Ffs even when it's finished they are causing me grief, it's not like this is the first car they have made. Ffs
GOJO

posted on 10/7/12 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Ive submitted my paperwork with that vin and i have my test booked.? Would they not have picked it up in the booking process if it wasnt acceptable?
loggyboy

posted on 10/7/12 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
So I need to change it to a 1 then and get a new chasis plate made up. My god I have never encountered such an incompetent company in my life. Is there no end to their cock ups. Ffs even when it's finished they are causing me grief, it's not like this is the first car they have made. Ffs

Your not alone and its not just MK to be fair. When the name 'amateur build' is used, i think it pretty much means the whole industry! Whilst waiting (9months) for Raw to complete my chassis and order, by building status below my avatar was Building: contempt for the Kit car industry! Along with dealy with Raw changing owners, I was fed up with reading websites for professional companies that were still mentioning SVA, over a year after IVA was introduced, and 2 years after it was announced! rant over.

Mistral Motorsport

loggyboy

posted on 10/7/12 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GOJO
Ive submitted my paperwork with that vin and i have my test booked.? Would they not have picked it up in the booking process if it wasnt acceptable?

I doubt it, its not up to the robots that process it to IVA the car. get it changed and notify them asap.

Mistral Motorsport

L5W

posted on 10/7/12 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Hi there,

My Indy chassis came stamped with a similar 17 digit number which also included an "I" (although MK stamped it on the wrong side of the chassis but that was another issue!). Thinking along the same lines about whether this should be a "1", I wrote to the DVLA who replied saying it was ok to use MK's pre-stamped 17 digit code for my build.

On the IVA application form, I wrote "MKINDYxxx..." not "MK1INDYxxx...". All the IVA examiner at Norwich checked was that the stamped VIN on the chassis and the VIN code on the manufacturer's plate all matched the VIN on the IVA form I'd submitted and he was fine with this. I'm not sure if I was just lucky or whether other test centers would fail this though.

When the DVLA finally sent me my V5, they changed the "I" to a "1".

Lee

http://l5w-mk-indy-zetec.blogspot.com/

Davegtst

posted on 10/7/12 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Should I risk it for the sake of a new chasis plate? It clearly says no I, O our Q in the iva manual.
loggyboy

posted on 10/7/12 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Should I risk it for the sake of a new chasis plate? It clearly says no I, O our Q in the iva manual.

Raw were adamant it was ok, but i bet if mine failed on it they won't offer to pay the retest fee!

Mistral Motorsport

loggyboy

posted on 10/7/12 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by L5W

When the DVLA finally sent me my V5, they changed the "I" to a "1".

Lee

So technically your car is incorrectly registered as the VIN and V5 don't match!

Mistral Motorsport

MakeEverything

posted on 11/7/12 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
So were now looking at the following tool kit with an MK chassis;

Hammer
Crowbar
Dremel
Hacksaw
Number Punches
Spare Chassis Plate

The list is building!! Anyone know the number for trading standards?

[Edited on 11-7-12 by MakeEverything]

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

loggyboy

posted on 11/7/12 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
To be fair everything on that list is pretty standard for most kit cars I would expect, certainly has been on mine.

Mistral Motorsport

MakeEverything

posted on 11/7/12 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
To be fair everything on that list is pretty standard for most kit cars I would expect, certainly has been on mine.

Mine too, but I wouldnt expect to work on an OE manufactured Chassis, to fit their stated parts.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Bluemoon

posted on 11/7/12 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
I should'nt think I or 1 is that important. I guess the only reason the DVLA don't allow I is that it's ambiguous and can mistaken for a 1...
owelly

posted on 11/7/12 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
The VIN on my kit has a 1 and an I in it but I don't have to worry about an IVA. Ask MK and see what they say.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 11/7/12 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
I should'nt think I or 1 is that important. I guess the only reason the DVLA don't allow I is that it's ambiguous and can mistaken for a 1...

Important enough to be specifically mentioned in the IVA manual.

Use of the letter I, the letter O, the letter Q, dashes, asterisks and other special signs are not permitted

Mistral Motorsport

A1

posted on 11/7/12 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
I sent off for my number and stamped it myself... surely this is just part of building your own car?
Bluemoon

posted on 11/7/12 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon

Important enough to be specifically mentioned in the IVA manual.

Use of the letter I, the letter O, the letter Q, dashes, asterisks and other special signs are not permitted

Don't disagree. Made sure mine was formed correctly; but the excluded characters are very simply to stop miss identification. i.e. if you use a O or Q DVLA will probably assume 0. I think I's and 1's are probably not a big deal; whos to stay your I is not a 1?.. Unless you get a jobs-worth in witch case you had better stick to the rules..

Also if it's already stamped on the chassis editing it is not really an option! You would need to grind it off and there is a chance it's going to look like a ringer latter on, not good.

Dan

[Edited on 11/7/12 by Bluemoon]

Davegtst

posted on 11/7/12 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by A1
I sent off for my number and stamped it myself... surely this is just part of building your own car?

Not if the kit is supplied with the vin number stamped onto a flat bit of metal, welded onto the chassis then powedercoated over the top. The chassis plate/sticker is also supplied with the kit and is wrong too. They aren't new to this so how can they get it so wrong all the time.

Bluemoon

posted on 11/7/12 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by A1

Not if the kit is supplied with the vin number stamped onto a flat bit of metal, welded onto the chassis then powedercoated over the top. The chassis plate/sticker is also supplied with the kit and is wrong too. They aren't new to this so how can they get it so wrong all the time.

Whist it might be wrong I would fill in the paper work and send to DVLA/VOSA with a covering letter saying VIN as supplied by manufacture?

Changing it now will be a PITA and may not be needed.

A1

posted on 11/7/12 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
ah, do they stamp them in house now? To be honest quite often the numbers on cars are all wrong, my dads car came with different number plates and the wrong chassis number. he bought it new aswell from the main dealer.
just send in the paperwork and see what they say.

dunk3

posted on 11/7/12 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
I had the same promlem with my chassis number, my chassis number started with (MKINDY+++++++++++) , When i got my log book back from the DVLA it read (MK1NDY+++++++++++) Sent it back saying they had made a mistake and would they change it , got a letter back from saying this.

Thank you for your recent correspondence again to amend the chassis number on the above registration mark

I am sorry to disappoint you but we are unable to input (I) into the chassis number as computer system will not allow this as i understandthat it is and (I) on your chassis this will not be able to be amended as per your letter stating this .

Sorry for any inconvience caused you.

Yours sincerely
Nicola Davis

I have not changed the chassis number since this letter , i have kept the letter they sent me so when i do sell it i will point this out to who ever buys it.

parkiboy

posted on 16/7/12 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Mine has an I in it and the examiner didnt question it today however seems like i will have problems when i get my V5 so i might end up changing it at a later date!
Davegtst

posted on 24/7/12 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Crisis averted. I engraved the I into a 1 on the chasis then painted over the top. I also got hold of one of these generic vin plates and had a local trophy shop engrave it with the right vin number. The plate was £11.00 and the engraving £8.00 so not too bad but expense i feel i shouldn't have to pay.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.