Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Speed sensor and fuel pressure - Hayabusa project
Northpole

posted on 17/7/12 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Speed sensor and fuel pressure - Hayabusa project

Hi
I am new here and very pleased to have finally join your/ours forum.

I am building a SpitfireBusa (Triumph Spitfire Mk3 + Hayabusa engine).

Can anyone help me on 2 issues:

1) To be able to see the speed of the cars I need some kind of speed sensor. The original speed sensor for the Hayabusa 2006 engine is missing but I am not sure whether I should buy one or buy another type? Can I use the Hayabusa speed sensor on the driveshaft/kardan? Or can I use it on one of the wheels on the car? I am using the speedometer from Hayabusa.
-Any good suggestions or solutions GREATLY appreciated.

2) Regarding the fuelpump, what fuelpump can I use other then the Hayabusa one? The fuelrail or the fuel system this motor have, is not with a return fuel system. Can I for example use a fuel pump from Mercedes? They are running 40+psi.
As far as I can find, the Hayabusa should run on 42 psi, but I am not sure what the range is, like 40 to 44 psi or?
-Any good suggestions or solutions GREATLY appreciated.

THANKS

[Edited on 17/7/12 by Northpole]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt_gsxr

posted on 18/7/12 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
Welcome.

I think you need a better name for it,

what about a "spitbusa"

cosmick

posted on 18/7/12 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
You can use the original speedo sensor and fit it to an area close to the propshaft bolts using the head of the bolt as a reluctor. this will give you 4 pulses per propshaft revolution and will operate the standard Hayabusa speedo perfectly. Any inaccuracy can be fixed with a Speedo Healer made by Healtech.
As for the fuel pump, i have used a standard Hayabusa fuel pump mounted directly in the bottom of the fuel pump with just one pipe going to the rail. Check out my photo archive and you will se the speedo sensor and fuel pump.

If it can't be fixed with a hammer then its probably an electrical problem.

Davegtst

posted on 18/7/12 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
If it's a problem using the hayabusa's pump you should be able to use any pump you want that will pump over 43 psi. Just because the fuel rail has only one inlet doesn't mean you can't make your own return to tank system. All you need to do is T into the fuel feed and then route another pipe back to the tank via a pressure regulator.
Northpole

posted on 18/7/12 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cosmick
You can use the original speedo sensor and fit it to an area close to the propshaft bolts using the head of the bolt as a reluctor. this will give you 4 pulses per propshaft revolution and will operate the standard Hayabusa speedo perfectly. Any inaccuracy can be fixed with a Speedo Healer made by Healtech.
As for the fuel pump, i have used a standard Hayabusa fuel pump mounted directly in the bottom of the fuel pump with just one pipe going to the rail. Check out my photo archive and you will se the speedo sensor and fuel pump.

Thanks, just what I needed regarding the speed sensor!

As for the fuel pump, after searching for the right fuel pump (with correct spec) I think I will modify the fuel tank and put a original pump inside. UNLESS someone can point out what fuel pump I can use....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cosmick

posted on 18/7/12 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Using a Suzuki or similar type fuel pump is so much neater as you will have regulated fuel pressure from the tank and only one supply pipe with no return.
as Davegtst says, you can use any fuel pump and return back to the tank via a regulator but, if you have the opportunity to keep it simple then stick to a single fuel line set up.
Have a look at something like this which will also give you a fuel sender that will work in conjunction with the Hayabusa speedo.
Suzuki GSX1300R 2007 Hayabusa Petrol Fuel Pump 6000 Miles Only | eBay

If it can't be fixed with a hammer then its probably an electrical problem.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.