Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: S max Engine knocking noise tdci help please
INDY BIRD

posted on 19/7/12 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
S max Engine knocking noise tdci help please

Hi all

Te other week coming back from my track day the smax broke down, not good, got a miss fire starting and then after a while got worse, then all of a sudden loss of power and a n noise from the engine,

It was nocking sounded like a vale had gone,

Only doing 50 mph thankfully,

So been at a garage for a week or so no joy on diagnosing it,

Ruled out injector failing they think it's poss piston or little end,

Did a compression test and was quite low on cranking about 260 and a bout 500 when idling,

Car does idle now and the knocking noise is not there so much as before when engine was ot, only when blip the throttle,

Its gone to a engineering company to try to solve now barring a full strip down, as prv garage just said fit a new engine, not at the price they want,

So any one no and places that do a replacement engine it's a 1.8 tdci engine 2006, just in case,

As I'm stuck what to do now,

As they have said it will be lots to strip it down and poss double check injectors ie send off repair which they want £600 alone for,

Then god knows how much for anything else it will be 5 to 6 hours labour to strip engine and then without solving the problem at £85 an hour so thought may be cheaper to go straight to a recon engine??

Any advice very welcome,

Cheers
Sean

owelly

posted on 19/7/12 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
I would say got the sump off and it should tell you whats wrong if it's con-rod/crank/piston related.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
INDY BIRD

posted on 19/7/12 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds simple but I was informed on these you have to take the gearbox off to get the sump off?

So they want to look at other options I may be wrong,

Thanks anyway

owelly

posted on 19/7/12 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
You could be right about the sump but you could pull the sump plug out and see what comes out! Wiggle a magnet about in the oil and feel the oil in your finger tips. If you find your fingers are bleeding, then you have bits of metal in the oil....
Has the garage got an endoscope to look inside the sump? Most garages have such things so for the sake of half an hours labour, they can confirm or deny the crank/conrods/etc.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dray13dad

posted on 19/7/12 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
How about run engine at above idle till you get knocking.crack injector pipes one each time till noise/knock is at its least.
That will give you sum idea as to what cylinder then lesson the cost to have just that injector tested. Will say that have found in the past that its cylinder no3 and normally the piston that lets go on the 1.8 tdci.

INDY BIRD

posted on 19/7/12 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Piston 3 is about where the noise is coming from,

I'll see what I can persuaded them to do before a sip down,

Anyone also know a good place for exchange engines?????

Davegtst

posted on 19/7/12 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Not put petrol in have you? I wouldn't start cracking injectors on a common rail diesel system, they may never seal properly again apart from being under massive pressure.
INDY BIRD

posted on 19/7/12 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
No def Not put petrol in it

I know this is a common mistake,

Still it had started to miss a couple of days before at about 15 to 1700 rpm just a small kidder,

The next day while trailering it got worse as I did about 100 miles but had no choice with the tailer on the back, still expensive lesson,

Poss new engine who knows.

GOJO

posted on 19/7/12 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldnt be cracking injector pipes when running 300 bar + at the rail , you can dissconnect the electrical connector but u will need diagnostic to erase fault memory after each dissconnect, cylinder leakage tester and bore scope would be my next moves before stripping anything thats assuming that the garage know what there doing to start with. Injector still could be initial cause of failure over fuelling under load??

[Edited on 19/7/12 by GOJO]

froggy

posted on 19/7/12 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
ive had burnt nozzles on an injector make some horrendous noises , if its a diesely kind of knock i would pull the injectors first and get them tested or a leak down test if possible

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

clanger

posted on 20/7/12 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
had the cam follower wear out on my diesel PDI lump a few years back. main stealer could'nt even find it with thier fancy computer gizmo's. the gagare techs were so used to waiting for a computer to tell em waht was up they'd lost the skills of real diagnostics. similar symptoms, knocking, down on power, idling like a big wobbly jelly.........

good old observation with my failing eyes soon spotted it when the cam cover came off with some tell tale wear on the cam lobe. soon as the cam was out there was a hole the size of a 20p in the cam bucket on one cylinder

have a go at it yourself before allowing garages to empty your pockets. thats what I did without a computer in sight.......What have you got to loose. best of luck

[Edited on 20/7/12 by clanger]

INDY BIRD

posted on 20/7/12 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Will get the car back tommo then I'll investigate myself, I am trying to locate a set of injectors also to try,but if not I think I will try to replace with a second hand or built engine, but we will see once I get the sump off and check all your suggestions,

Thanks
All

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.