Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 919 Fireblade operating Temps
Neadles

posted on 21/7/12 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
919 Fireblade operating Temps

I've just got my first locost car a Fury and am new to bike engines so just wanted a little guidance, what is the normal operating temps?

I've had it sat on the drive to warm up and check the fan cuts in and it seems to sit at 95 with the fan on constantly, oil temp sits at 85-87 constantly. Then when you put sum revs on water temp gets to 100-104 and again won't recover but again oil temp is the same. Now I appreciate bikes run hot but the radiator is larger however the upper water pipe is a very small diameter so is this normal or is the water temp sender reading wrong??

Thanks

Chris

fullpint

posted on 21/7/12 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Chris,
My runs at 100 if sat in traffic but soon drops to about 85. My pipes are the same diameter all round.. Post a pic showing your small one, it may help

I've over 28 years in dealing with magnesium wheels. Refurbishment and can powder coat most metal parts. Visit my web site if you wish..
www.tpcs-magnesium-refurbs.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PAUL FISHER

posted on 21/7/12 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
100 to 104 is too high for normal operating temperature, normal operating temp is between 80 and 90 for a blade, mine sits at 80 to 82, and goes to 85 when I give it some stick.
zekill

posted on 21/7/12 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
- engine run too lean ?
- with Fury or Phoenix it's better to make an air ducting for radiator
- mine run at about 90°, correct jetting, air ducting and water + mocool

piping for blade is 1 inch, polo radiator is 1.25 inch, i use reductor elbow at radiator input/output.
hope that help.

Fisher Fury with Phoenix bodywork, Blade 919cc

Neadles

posted on 21/7/12 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all your reply's people, just to update a little,

all the figures quoted were the car sat on the drive way, but some update from today's trip out! The water temp sat at 90 most of the time with oil at around 80-85, but when in traffic sat water topped out at 105, though oil never went past 90. Now I'm still not convinced the water is reading right. My tintops got to 110 water but oil never got past 100 so since I have not had oil past 93 then the temperatures are ok, but not sure, what do everyone else's oil temps get too???

To answer a few questions:

There is ducting for the radiator to channel it all.
I have been told its been Jetted and dynoed so should be ok.
Radiator size and hosing sounds the same as everyone else's.

Will try check the water temp with another instrument, but as long as oil temp looks after itself and sub 100, I'm not too worried cos as far as I am aware as long as oil does not past 130 it doesn't break down.

Though any more experiences or suggestions are welcome.

gixermark

posted on 22/7/12 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Depending on howling you were stuck in traffic that doesn't sound too bad.

If you have a proper header tank, a decent high pressure cap will help.. Make sure the water system is bled well.

You may be able to get a better 'race' spec fan, and flat out the sides to let the hot air out. If you put a manual switch on the fan, you can turn it on yourself when you are coming into traffic, before it gets to 90+

Oil sounds good.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.