Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Opening Ceremony
myke pocock

posted on 27/7/12 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
Opening Ceremony

Spectacular and inspiring, but for GEEZ SAKE lets pension Paul McCartney off once and for all.

Just my opinion though!!!!

Jon Ison

posted on 28/7/12 at 12:03 AM Reply With Quote
Agree, Mac sounded a bit off, Mr Bean was my highlight.
unijacko67

posted on 28/7/12 at 12:09 AM Reply With Quote
agree with above cause paul was abit off! they passed the torch to the young ones, why didn't they pass the mic to the young ones? jessie j for example! looks good and sounds even better!

http://www.kittenkitcar.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
owelly

posted on 28/7/12 at 12:19 AM Reply With Quote
It made me cringe! The opening ceremony wasn't for us, it was our chance to showcase the UK to the World and I'll bet my bacon butty that most of Great Britian wouldn't have understood WTF was going on if we didn't have commentry!
The mechanics of it all was excellent and I'll forgive the dodgy content (ie. highlighting our NHS even though it's on it's arse and closing wards every day hence the reference to having two kids per bed?) for the excellent Cauldron.
Now can we forget about the Olympics and get back to normal please....

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
unijacko67

posted on 28/7/12 at 12:35 AM Reply With Quote
Ok, at least it all went without any major problems, I think they got away with a good result. (appart from PM, bless him).

http://www.kittenkitcar.co.uk

Canada EH!

posted on 28/7/12 at 12:50 AM Reply With Quote
You people need to stop taking things so seriously, I thought it was great, but then I'm just a bloody colonial!
morcus

posted on 28/7/12 at 05:48 AM Reply With Quote
I saw some of it at work and it made absolutly no sense to me, and that replica of glastonbury tor looked nothing like it.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Coopz

posted on 28/7/12 at 06:00 AM Reply With Quote
A reported cost of 27 million surely could of been better spent!!
t11

posted on 28/7/12 at 06:24 AM Reply With Quote
missed it

Hi all.....missed it all riding back from bury st edmonds on my son's honda after his brakes failed, so good old dad rides up from Deal fixed his brakes in the car park and then rides it back all in 1 evening, what else are dads for ?....so did I miss anything ?
austin man

posted on 28/7/12 at 06:57 AM Reply With Quote
Never saw it so cant comment from me hospital bed

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

BigGeoff

posted on 28/7/12 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
If all the money spent on it had been spent on the less fortunate in this country we would have very few homeless right now. The Olympics are a great event - just think that the cost is way to much for a few people to run around a track or go for a swim. Take the money spent on allowing all our athletes to train full time and the money spent on the games as a whole and you could do a lot of good. Yes I know the building of the stadia created a lot of jobs for 7 years but the money could have been used to create sustainable jobs.

Like a lot of folk - without the commentary - WTF and to end with someone who can no longer hold a note was truly awful.

ReMan

posted on 28/7/12 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by austin man
Never saw it so cant comment from me hospital bed

Oh! Hope your OK/on the mend

I though the ceremony was great and a real credit to us.
Nothings ever good enough for some is it

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

AndyW

posted on 28/7/12 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
I thought it ws very good. I watched and expected it to be a farce, but I was actually impressed. As for the commentry, well thats just parts of it, all other oplypics have had commetry and without there you would have no idea whats going on.

I think its about time we stopped knocking this event and started to see the positives in this country.

I knew this morning that there would be a post about it. Maybe we should start another post for those who want to slag it off and this one for those who actually enjoyed it.

We are Great Britian remember???

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 28/7/12 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
i watched it from start to finish. I thought it was very interesting and have to say I really enjoyed most of it.
The olympic cauldron was spectacularly stunning, as was the industrial revolution casting the olympic rings!

I thought instead of having an hour of recorded music in the middle, a few more live acts would have been good.

Skit with Bond and the Queen was really funny, but she really let herself down, she was clearly pissed off at being there. The camera cut to her when the GB team came in and she just sitting there scratching her hand not even watching!

Mr Bean was a highlight too really funny.

Big let down of the night was Paul Mc, i think Macca banging out Hey Jude is one of the worst British cliches and it makes my toes curl every time.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

twybrow

posted on 28/7/12 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AndyW
I thought it ws very good. I watched and expected it to be a farce, but I was actually impressed. As for the commentry, well thats just parts of it, all other oplypics have had commetry and without there you would have no idea whats going on.

I think its about time we stopped knocking this event and started to see the positives in this country.

I knew this morning that there would be a post about it. Maybe we should start another post for those who want to slag it off and this one for those who actually enjoyed it.

We are Great Britian remember???

Here here!

tomgregory2000

posted on 28/7/12 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
Anywhere to watch it online?
scootz

posted on 28/7/12 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
The only bits I didn't like were the NHS / GOSH sections... by all means celebrate them both, but it was all a bit messy.

And Paul Mac! Really pains me to say it as he's a national treasure, but he's no longer capable of performing at these kinds of events as his voice is shot.

It's Evolution Baby!

matt_gsxr

posted on 28/7/12 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
I really liked it. A bit wacky, but that's a good thing.
I'd be interested to hear what the rest of the world thought.

Davegtst

posted on 28/7/12 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
One was not amused.

Nick DV

posted on 28/7/12 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
Really very good, and money well spent. Remember, China cost £70m+!!

Lots of plus points, forget Paul Mac and a pity that the Queen didn't look as happy as she did at the Jubilee celebrations a few weeks ago!

Good luck to the boys and girls of Team GB

Cheers, Nick

"The force will be with you, always!"

woodster

posted on 28/7/12 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
We watched it here in France and loved every minute , I'm British with all that means the good bits and the bits I like to moan about and boy do I like to moan but ultimately I'm very very proud to be British and last night had everything I'm proud about

British engineering
The NHS
British music
The queen and royal family
Our sence of humour
Our sports men and women
Our armed forces

And as illustrated on here our right to an opinion and the right of free speech to express it

BRITISH AND PROUD

Hellfire

posted on 28/7/12 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
The saddest moment for me was when the olympic flag stopped by Muhammad Ali. Poor guy didn't even know what was going on. You could see his wife Lonnie telling him to wave but Ali could barely move a muscle. So, so sad.....

Phil

mark chandler

posted on 28/7/12 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
We enjoyed it, some parts were a bit odd but then we are British

We may moan about the national health, however it is the very very good despite it’s shortcomings.

Queen looked thoroughly miserable through, turned off when McCartney started up.... They should have pulled Dizzy Rascal back to get the crowd moving.

vanepico

posted on 28/7/12 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone else expecting it to burst into a Pink Floyd song? It had all the features of one of their videos, the 60 foot inflatable puppets for a start! And thelast song they played was Eclipse from the DSOTM!

I did think it was a waste of money before but when i saw it i thought it was good, I wish they could have had more than just a flyby, maybe a roll at the very least, maybe get a spitfire to fly over or something!

Pete

scootz

posted on 28/7/12 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
Macca doesn't have the voice anymore for stadium type performances. I think they should have rounded it off with The Stones playing 'Satisfaction' or The Who playing 'My Generation'. Rock royalty who can still put in a turn!

As for Her Maj... good sport, but the poor woman looked exhausted. Time to step aside ma'am???

It's Evolution Baby!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.