Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tacho Reading off ST170/Zetec Ignition Coil
ElvisDrivesAnMK

posted on 30/7/12 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Tacho Reading off ST170/Zetec Ignition Coil

I have an MK Indy R with an ST170 engine which I've just replaced the dash and dials using 3 SPA gauges. The last piece of the puzzle is to get a reading for the tacho which ideally is from the ECU tacho output (ECU is essentially a Megasquirt V1.3) but I haven't a clue if that exists or alternatively the -ve connection from ignition coil. Does anyone know how to determine which wire is the -ve connection from the coil or how to determine if there is an output from the ECU??

I'll post photos of the new dash asap as I'm rather proud

I'll be even happier when I have a working rev counter though!

Thanks in advance,

Elvis.

paulf

posted on 30/7/12 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Unless the mega squirt was ordered with a tacho output then it will not have one by default, you need some mods to the PCB and an output driver circuit building to match the output voltage to a level that will drive the tacho.To use the coil to drive the tacho you will need to connect to both sides -ve of the coil pack using a simple diode circuit, I have seen these available ready built on one of the mega squirt sites recently but cant remember which one.If you are using an Edis unit then you could take a tacho signal from that.
Paul

ElvisDrivesAnMK

posted on 8/8/12 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Which lead

I've spoken to the manufacturer of the gauge and they tell me that I just need to splice into the switched side of the coil. The trouble is, I don't know which wire it is! There are three coming from the coil:

Orange and black
Green and blue
Green and black

Does anyone know what purpose in life these all have?

I can post a photo later if this will help.

Thanks.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.