Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Horizon last night - eating less for better health
Jasper

posted on 7/8/12 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Horizon last night - eating less for better health

Did anyone else see the latest Horizon last night:

3. Eat, Fast and Live Longer - Michael Mosley examines the powerful science behind the ancient idea of fasting.

It's been know for nearly 100 years now that reducing calories improves life expectancy and reduces instance of many diseases including cancer, during the great depression in the US in the dust bowl life expectancy went UP by 7 years.

He looked at all the ways to reduce calories and finally came down to one that was do-able for the average person over a very long period of time - cos most of us wouldn't be able to do it everyday.

He found out that reducing calories just 2 days a week gives you nearly all the huge benefits of doing it everyday. So any two days a week you eat just 500 calories, about equal to a regular sandwich and a piece of fruit.

So this morning I have started - went to Waitrose and got a sandwich a fruit jelly for lunch- total of 500 calories and that will be it for the day. Also went into Boots and checked my weight BMI etc, and I'm a pound into overweight, so I'm sure this will help that too. I reckon this is well achievable, and he said it was the most important and significant way to improve peoples health he had ever seen.

If you're interested you should watch the programme, it was fascinating.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

Peteff

posted on 7/8/12 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
So you are hungry and miserable and you live longer........

Whoop-di-dooo !!!

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

ReMan

posted on 7/8/12 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
I watched it and was very taken with it and the science.
Im going to do Mondays and Tuesdays

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Jasper

posted on 7/8/12 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Another classic reply showing the staggering intelligence of some Locosters!

If I can be a bit hungry for a couple of days a week (which I can choose and fit in with my lifestyle) and massively improve my chances of living a healthier and disease free life it seems like a no-brainer really. My dad had prostate cancer which means there is a reasonable likelihood of me getting it too - this way of eating has been shown to drastically reduce the chances of developing it. It would seem to me a stupid and idiotic thing not to do really - I'd rather be hungry a couple of days a week than have my postate removed and complete screw my sex life for all time or die. I like to be ahead of the curve if possible, not dragging behind just slagging off all new development because it makes me seem more like a real (stoneage) man.

Anyway, each to their own!

Re-Man - you know they don't need to be consecutive days if you find it a bit hard.

[Edited on 7/8/12 by Jasper]

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

contaminated

posted on 7/8/12 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
I went to buy some new jeans today and have gone up yet another waist size! I knew I was over-weight, but this was a shock. Next stop was a new pair of running shoes! I'll try and use them for running rather than DIY/gardening/working on the car this time.

Tiger Super Six Independent
www.southernkitcars.com

D Beddows

posted on 7/8/12 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
I can actually recommend having a 2 1/2 year old as a fitness/keeping young trainer Doing a bit of daddy daycare at the moment and after 2 hours of football and at least an hour being a Power Ranger yesterday ( best not to catch a glimpse of a middle aged, slightly overweight balding Power Ranger in the reflection from the garage window though...... ) - a trip to the toy shop and soft play hell today.......so far....... I'm a: knackered and b: feel about 20 years younger - sod fasting, I wouldn't be able to keep up!!
Daddylonglegs

posted on 7/8/12 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Think of the weight benefits in the kit too

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

contaminated

posted on 7/8/12 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
Think of the weight benefits in the kit too

Funnily enough the weight of the spare TSW Evo and Fulder rubber I removed from the back of my car a few years ago is almost exactly the weight I need to lose. Scary!

Tiger Super Six Independent
www.southernkitcars.com

v8kid

posted on 7/8/12 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
me too for the fasting. my 2 days are always tomorrow and the next day

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cliftyhanger

posted on 7/8/12 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
There was a program (may have been Horizon even) about 10-15 years ago that explored tghe ideas of immortality, from cryogenic stuff to under calorie-ing. As you say, the benefits are well known, but that program didn't mention the 2 days a week idea, which may be newish.
Having lived for several months on 1000 calories a day (it was actually quite OK after the initial shock) I reckon 500 twice a week is do-able. I would suggect you actually find something better to eat than a pre-made sandwich and a jelly though, you are probably eating too much crap in those. (A can of baked beans is only about 300 calories, so one of those over 2 meals, an egg and 3 pieces fruit would be a better bet I reckon)

ReMan

posted on 7/8/12 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
There's laods of internet info as ever about ADF, but what I patticularly like is that this aapproach and the science around revertig to type, is taht it focusses more on the other long term health benefits rather than just and "Amazing new weight loss diet".

It also fit's with me being a greedy barsteward and finding it very difficult to things in moderation, better not do them at all.
Fingers crossed

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Peteff

posted on 7/8/12 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
Another classic reply showing the staggering intelligence of some Locosters!

And the lack of humour/gullibility of others A review of the program summed it up I think.

However, despite the interesting science, the ultimate message was ‘eat healthy food, lower your calorie intake, exercise and weave in an occasional fast day. Do this and you will become thin and healthy’.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Irony

posted on 7/8/12 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
I have started and have been on a low carbs diet now for about 6 months. I am combining this with going to the gym three times a week. I am slightly overweight according to my BMI (thats a poor scale to be honest). After cutting down on carbs and trying not to eat junk I feel so much better. My cronic indesgestion has almost gone, I sleep better and I am fitter and healthier.

It is surprising just how little the human body can live on when pressed so a couple of 500 calorie days a week would not be to bad.

Problem for me now is that if I stray from my 'healthy' eating routine I feel awful again almost immediately. I went to a early meeting today and was given a bacon and egg butty. Should have refused as my indigestion is back and my missus wants to go to a spin class tonight.......!!!

steve m

posted on 7/8/12 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
We as a family have had conversations, over similar issues, and even our Doctor confirmed that the BMI is heavly flawed

I am 5'3 and weigh 11.5 stone, and funnyly enough today, was told that my weight was fine , at Drs
yet the BMI chart has me in the obese area, and obese, i am NOT

(i have lung issues, that require 3 monthly check ups)

Another example of this ridiculous chart, was my Father, who was on deaths door 16 months ago, and in east surrey hospital
for several months, he is now 5'0 tall (was about 5'3) and weighed 6 stone, yet the hospital said he was overweight
what a bleeping joke!! he looked like a corpse, and due their negligence was days away from being one

It was only when we got him eating and drinking, did he survive, and he is now around 9 stone, and only last week was told that another half a stone on, would be ideal, again by his DR

It would be interesting for others to try this NHS site, as ALL of us will be OBESE!!!

http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyweightcalculator.aspx

cliftyhanger

posted on 7/8/12 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
Nope, I am in the healthy weight, BMI 23.5 plus I feel I need to lose a few pounds after over indulging on holiday.

Saying that, BMI is a good way of checking for the majority of people, I would guess 80%. There will always be a few for whom a simplistic scale won't work.

kipper

posted on 7/8/12 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
If I knew I was going to live this long I would have looked after myself too.
Bloody Who..........Hope I die before I get old indeed
Denis the old git

Where did that go?
<<<<

dlatch

posted on 7/8/12 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
my BMI is 21.29 going by that online calc

but i would say i under weight and could do with another stone on me

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
westf27

posted on 7/8/12 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
I think I will eat the same .......just fit a bigger engine

David Jenkins

posted on 7/8/12 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
The meal of 500 - 600 calories that was shown on the program looked quite substantial - an omelette, plus a few other bits on the side. I'd be happy to eat it as my meal of the day. If you chose carefully I reckon you could get quite a plateful - loads of vegetables, etc. I couldn't eat the breakfast that the health freak ate though - a very large bowl of frozen fruit.

The bit that brought it home was when the doctor/professor was talking to the presenter - basically he said that in his present condition his chances of getting a heart condition, diabetes and/or cancer were 1:1, i.e. certainty. In the case of the health freak, the odds were 1 in 1,000,000, and then only if he was unlucky.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 7/8/12 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
What me worry?

From the above, the logical extension from the Nanny State will be to label said conditions (heart/cancer/etc.) as avoidable, and due entirely to your chosen lifestyle. Your fault you developed cancer you silly ignorant person, sorry, can't help you (apart from a morphine pump later on).

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 7/8/12 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
BMI is passable for normal folk but it is utter twaddle for lots and lots of people, me included.

I saw a stat which went something a long the lines of the whole world cup winning England squad of 2003 were at best "obese" with most of the forwards being "morbidly obese".

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

D Beddows

posted on 7/8/12 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sorry but there will be another program along in 10 minutes/days/years that says everything in his one is rubbish, and so on and so on - most educated sensible people know how they should eat, exercise and what we should weigh etc etc to be healthy unfortunately most of us intend to start doing something about it tomorrow......or maybe the day after because we've got something on tomorrow.......
MikeRJ

posted on 7/8/12 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not really convinced that living longer is a good thing. Overpopulation, later retirement, unemployment, stress on health services, increased poverty caused by pension issues etc. are all major issues caused by our increased lifespan.
scootz

posted on 7/8/12 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
I'm not really convinced that living longer is a good thing. Overpopulation, later retirement, unemployment, stress on health services, increased poverty caused by pension issues etc. are all major issues caused by our increased lifespan.

Yup!

It's Evolution Baby!

TheGiantTribble

posted on 7/8/12 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I don't smoke, I drink on average less than 1 unit per month, I have kids that keep me in exercise...but I love food, doesn't have to be fancy, I enjoy eating simple as that

I'm 5'11" 15 Stone (and a little bit) BMI is 29. And if I followed the diet given to me by the Dr. I won't live for ever but will be misserable. My choice and I accept any consequences.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.