Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Video from Brandshatch, with off!
shaun fulcrum

posted on 11/8/12 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
Video from Brandshatch, with off!

Thought some of you might like this.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MftQJDiubKE

Was a brilliant day, now need some new brakes (finally worn out). Still I had a better day than the XJ220 that lost a back wheel!!!

bi22le

posted on 11/8/12 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
Whoopsie!!

Looks like a closed case of to deep into the corner and no grip on the green stuff.

Some nice driving and lines though.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

shaun fulcrum

posted on 11/8/12 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Deffinately turned in too late, I could feel there was no real chance of making the corner as soon as I turned. Amazing the different grip levels over a few metres of track!

I was hoping my lines were somewhere near, always good to look back at video and see where you go wrong and can improve. In my case turn in earlier to stop hitting the gravel

Furyous

posted on 12/8/12 at 04:33 AM Reply With Quote
Were you concentrating on the other car joining the track? I noticed as I was going through the racing lines in my head I was looking at the other car and missed the line. If I watch the video without looking away from the track I can see where you could have been better positioned. Hindsight is 20/20 and all that.

How much damage was there? At least you avoided the wall.

shaun fulcrum

posted on 12/8/12 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
Luckily there was no damage to the car so just a dented ego!

You got it in one. Had had a moment with the same car earlier in the day (they kept going for it then braking to a standstill infront of me! They did get a warning) so was more aware of them leaving the pits and lost concentration

All my own fault really though, should have just worried about myself.

jeffw

posted on 12/8/12 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
You run over pit exit line lap after lap. It was always likely that a car exiting the pit lane would cause you to have issues. Next time be higher up the track and don't cross the white line and you'll not have a repeat (it is also a better line).

You might want to book an instructor next time you are at Brands who could show you some better lines and get you closer to the apex (especially at Graham Hill). Also you might want to try heel and toeing as there where occasions that you had locked the rear on downshift and you had to opposite lock into the corner (Clearways) and it sounds really brutal on the gearbox.

Apart from that looks like you had fun....

[Edited on 12/8/12 by jeffw]

shaun fulcrum

posted on 12/8/12 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks jeff, positive(ish) criticism is always a good way of making people try harder. So thankyou for taking the time to watch my video and posting a helpful response for future visits there
jeffw

posted on 12/8/12 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
If you moved 2 car widths further away from the pit wall down the main straight you wouldn't have had the issue....so something for next time

bi22le

posted on 21/8/12 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Using the width on outsides of corners is scary as you have no space to catch a slide so instinctivly stay away, I am the same.

The problem being is the track is stickier on the racing line that all the pros and better drivers use so off of that line does make a difference.

Im new to the track day game with only 5 or so under my belt at 3 different tracks so I study youtube clips for days before hand to see the lines that are used. I also write notes the evening after the track day that I can re read before doing the same track again. It details areas I found difficult, slow, points to watch and where I can go faster. I also video pretty much every lap so I can look at any mistakes I make afterwards.

Just a few pointers and things a fellow newbie does!

Jeff, how does the instructor advise you when you have helmets and noisey open top cars? Frantic hand signals?!?

Biz

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

shaun fulcrum

posted on 21/8/12 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le

Jeff, how does the instructor advise you when you have helmets and noisey open top cars? Frantic hand signals?!?

Biz

That is exactly what ends up happening! I had an instructor at snetterton, we used intercom although we couldn't hear anything. He got me to clutch it on the straight and shouted what the hand signals would mean. To be honest though it was quite good to have easy instructions (power, brake, turn and hold speed).

R1_striker

posted on 27/8/12 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
i cant believe you found a sunny day to go for a spin (no pun intended)

small tax, small insurance, huge laughs

shaun fulcrum

posted on 27/8/12 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by R1_striker
i cant believe you found a sunny day to go for a spin (no pun intended)

It was a great day (minus the spin) and the weather was perfect! If not a bit too hot (no cool breeze). There we go, typical British, always got a complaint about the weather

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.