Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: HELL ,rod ends
grissley

posted on 11/8/12 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
HELL ,rod ends

seen a bmw engined car for sale on e bay thats fitted with rod ends for top ball joints,?????? who the hell would design that idea.?
those things are deffinatelly not designed for that USE.

they want locking up. how bloody dangerious is that ?

blakep82

posted on 11/8/12 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
f1 designers for one (depends on their orientation though) and most formula type cars

are you in a cold sweat yet?

[Edited on 11/8/12 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

MikeRJ

posted on 11/8/12 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by grissley
seen a bmw engined car for sale on e bay thats fitted with rod ends for top ball joints,?????? who the hell would design that idea.?
those things are deffinatelly not designed for that USE.

they want locking up. how bloody dangerious is that ?

Without seeing the car in question it's impossible to say if it's dangerous or not. There are plenty of Locosts using rod ends instead of Transit drag links on the upper wishbones.

grissley

posted on 11/8/12 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
look yourself item ebay 320946643498
you dont use them for top ball joints .unless your stupid ?

blakep82

posted on 11/8/12 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
looks perfectly ok to me, and in the correct orientation too. could do with some of the rubber boots you get for them to keep grit out and grease in, but perfectly acceptable.
perhaps more suited to track cars, but on a road car, with limited mileage and regularly inspected, not an issue at all

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

grissley

posted on 11/8/12 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
I guess the pictures are all home made efforts ?
mark chandler

posted on 11/8/12 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
The joint only has lateral forces, perfectly fine.

If you used on the lower bone so it was carrying the weight of the car then it's a different answer as in danger of popping out.

blakep82

posted on 11/8/12 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
^but you'd have a big flat washer either side of the joint to hold it, in case it did pop out

quote:
I guess the pictures are all home made efforts ?

how about a willaims F1 car then?

and i think they all still use them

grissley

posted on 11/8/12 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
how many times do you see the suspension fall off an F1 ,
never for me thou.

mookaloid

posted on 11/8/12 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think you have understood the forces involved - there is no issue with them at the top.

I'd be more concerned about them being used at the bottom as there is a bending force on the threaded portion which could lead to fatigue cracking and possible failure there.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

grissley

posted on 11/8/12 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
you haven,t convinced me this isn,t on dangerous ground for road use .but each to there own !
Wadders

posted on 11/8/12 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
SVA gestapo must not have had an issue with it, and he's managed nearly 4000 miles without killing himself......
so put the wooden spoon away and get it bought.

Al.

grissley

posted on 11/8/12 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
No way hozza,
britishtrident

posted on 11/8/12 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Applies equally well to the Transit drag link.
Upper ball joint only gets fairly light loads in comparison to the lower joint.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

blakep82

posted on 11/8/12 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
a rod end is essentially the same as a ball joint, just with both ends open and a hole (and an optional rubber cover) instead one closed end a stud through the middle and a rubber cover...

never mind not convincing you its not safe, you've not convinced us its dangerous yet. why do you think its dangerous? isn't someone in their garage welding a few bits of metal together, usually without any proper training, and driving it about dangerous?

its ok for IVA, its good by racing car designers, race cars corner much faster than road cars, putting higher forces through the suspension, and they're ok with it.

fair enough you perhaps don't understand WHY and how they're perfectly ok to use, but don't go dismissing them, try to understand why they're ok, because believe me, they're perfect for the job.
on a road car they might be subject to wear, but the owner just needs to keep a regular check on them, and even better get some of the rubber covers on them. not a hard job.

designer

posted on 11/8/12 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Standard practice, no problem.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Volvorsport

posted on 11/8/12 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
i think theyre DESIGNED by the factory , ie MNR , perhaps you should contact them and tell them.........

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

grissley

posted on 11/8/12 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
I listen to you on your comments , but there is another issue here that putting an untested joint on a road car for the general public to use could be a serious legal issue. As you will well know and I stand corrected that no other road car kit uses this idea and use well tested manufacturers std ball joints for the uprights for a very good reason.road cars are a differnt animal completely to track used cars, maybe safety is my priority but I was just very concerned when I saw this. I,ve been an engineer for over 40 years and this is my opinion and many others I,m sure,but don,t be missunderstood by my intentions here its just me.
regards phil

Wadders

posted on 11/8/12 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
This might be more your scene http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/

I listen to you on your comments , but there is another issue here that putting an untested joint on a road car for the general public to use could be a serious legal issue. As you will well know and I stand corrected that no other road car kit uses this idea and use well tested manufacturers std ball joints for the uprights for a very good reason.road cars are a differnt animal completely to track used cars, maybe safety is my priority but I was just very concerned when I saw this. I,ve been an engineer for over 40 years and this is my opinion and many others I,m sure,but don,t be missunderstood by my intentions here its just me.
regards phil

BigLee

posted on 11/8/12 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
My MNR had those top joints, on Mazda MX5 uprights. Absolutely deadly they are. I was once rolling the car into the garage using the front wheel, and I caught the back of my finger between the inside lip of my wheel, and top of the rod end. Oh it did bleed!

As for the structural integrity... No problem what so ever. I'm no engineer, just a bloke who built one following the exact instruction given by MNR. Marc knows what he is doing.

Lee

mookaloid

posted on 11/8/12 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
regards phil

If you have never seen this before - perhaps you are the wrong sort of engineer?

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Mr C

posted on 11/8/12 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
This thread has given me some brilliant ideas for the suspension for my next project

Girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one

grissley

posted on 11/8/12 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for your comments on my engineering abilities !!
but a decent suspension designer would do it properly I dought he has ever studdied suspension design in fact I,m sure.
happy motoring
been a laugh thou

vanepico

posted on 11/8/12 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
I always wondered what the difference was between track rod ends and drag links.

Will CAD for food/money/beer...

britishtrident

posted on 11/8/12 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Lets not feed the trol

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.