Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: mechanical fule pump flow rate
ryanill

posted on 14/8/12 at 06:11 AM Reply With Quote
mechanical fule pump flow rate

hi all

i have noticed that at sustained high rpm my mechanical fule pump on my pinto is not suplying enough fule to my bike carbs. i have looked to find the flowrate so i can compare to other electic pumps but carnt find a value for the mechanical. anyone got any ideas ?

FuryRebuild

posted on 14/8/12 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
Yup - Pacet fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator. Problem solved for £100 or under.

Then you remove the fuel pump and little metal push-rod and make a blanking plate from whatever mild steel you have lying around. Lots of loctite and it's done.

You have a second advantage now, which is that control to your fuel pump is switchable. I found this very handy on the rolling road when Boggs would want the carbs empty for whatever piece of magic they'd work next. Run the engine, flick the switch to kill the pump, hay presto carbs empty 30 seconds later.

[Edited on 14/8/12 by FuryRebuild]

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

mcerd1

posted on 14/8/12 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
for bike carb's a bike pump will work best and cost you the least
(just needs to be from a bike with carb's - ZX9R, R1 or similar...)

see this thread for more:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=173359

[Edited on 14/8/2012 by mcerd1]

-

ryanill

posted on 14/8/12 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Ok so I looked at the facet pumps and the actual zx9r pumps looking at about £80 for facet set up and between £50 and£100 for bike pump depending on seller is the pressure regulator needed if I still keep my return to tank system? And with the bike plumb still supply enough fule with the carbs running the bigger cylinders ( but derematiclylower rpm)

cheers guys

mcerd1

posted on 14/8/12 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
yes you need a regulator if you use a facet type pump - the bike carb's really hate too much fuel pressure, thats why the bike pumps are self regulating
(you really shouldn't have to pay more than £50 for a s/h pump - maybe even try Malc @ yorkshire engines)

the bike pump is fine for the size of engine, its actually the power thats important (if you think about it the choke size is the same as the bike too)
a 1.0 bike engine at 14,000rpm vs 2.0 car engine at 7000rpm - bothproducing about the same power, so both need the same amount of air and fuel

[Edited on 14/8/2012 by mcerd1]

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.