Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Overly light power steering
tegwin

posted on 29/8/12 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
Overly light power steering

Ok, not kit car related.... but I am having issues with my 2001 polo GTI.

The steering is so light that I can turn the wheel with my little finger whilst stationary....This is just silly as at speed it makes the car really twitchy...If it hits any little bump on the road the car feels unsettled......

Have had the car for about 6 years and I am sure the steering is getting lighter.... Its quite annoying actually... if the steering were a bit more stiff it would be so much easier to drive, especially on long motorway trips..

In the last couple of years I have replaced all suspension bushes, top mounts, track rod ends, dampers and springs.... Yes.. Yes.. I get carried away!

Anyone know if its possible to make the steering heavier?

[Edited on 29/8/12 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

mookaloid

posted on 29/8/12 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
Tyre pressures? I'm sure you have thought of this but even slightly over inflated tyres will noticeably lighten the steering.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

tegwin

posted on 29/8/12 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
I am a bit OCD about tyre-pressures, oil levels etc ..so that is not the issue :p

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

ed1801

posted on 29/8/12 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Aren't PAS systems normally speed sensitive, has it somehow lost the speed input so it thinks you are staionary (and therefore makes the steering light for parking)?
mookaloid

posted on 29/8/12 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
I am a bit OCD about tyre-pressures, oil levels etc ..so that is not the issue :p

I was a bit hesitant about stating the obvious - apologies

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

whitestu

posted on 29/8/12 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

In the last couple of years I have replaced all suspension bushes, top mounts, track rod ends, dampers and springs.... Yes.. Yes.. I get carried away!

I'm guessing you've changed the tyres as well in that time?

locoboy

posted on 29/8/12 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
my mrs has a 58 reg a3 and it has electric PS and it is the same, I hate it!

ATB
Locoboy

Dave Ashurst

posted on 29/8/12 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
Not much real help but....

Our fiat panda has a city mode switch that makes the power steering do exactly that. I.e. turn it on: no resistance at the steering wheel even when stationary, light as a feather. Turn it off: back to normal resistance. Does your car have one that you don't know about? I'd check that first.

If not, I don't know how it works but I guess finding out would help understand what might have happened to your system.

I'm sure someone who knows will come along soon!

D

tegwin

posted on 29/8/12 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Aha, Fiat use an electric PAS system hence the swtich.

The polo is a traditional hydraulic system... pretty sure its not speed sensative.. although who knows... there are some really bizzare features on the GTI which you just wouldnt assume would be there....

Bare

posted on 29/8/12 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
As No One has stated the obvious : It's Broken!
Best get it to a competent Service shop.
IF only for a diagnostic assessment.
Before... the Steering wheel Stops working, invariably in an awkward situation :-)

[Edited on 29/8/12 by Bare]

mark chandler

posted on 29/8/12 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Traditional hydraulic system, the pump will have a pressure relief valve, if this gets jammed/restricted then the level of assistance increases until eventually you blow the seals !

Regards Mark

tegwin

posted on 29/8/12 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
That is interesting. I presume there must be asjustable pressure relief valves out there to allow variable levels of power steering...

Do you know if the relief valve is easily replaced or is it likeley to be part of the pump?

britishtrident

posted on 8/9/12 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
The problem is due to wear , power steering systems require a tiny ammount of lost motion at the pinnion to work, too much lost motion and they work fully powered, a new rack is only realistic cure.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

daviep

posted on 8/9/12 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
The problem is due to wear , power steering systems require a tiny ammount of lost motion at the pinnion to work, too much lost motion and they work fully powered, a new rack is only realistic cure.

Can you expand on this a little more fully please?

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.