Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Light weight big cars.
morcus

posted on 29/8/12 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
Light weight big cars.

Might sound like a strange question but if you wanted a car at least as big as a late 90's rep mobil that was as light as possible what would your options be?

This came from something we were discussing at work about how cars get heavier and heavier and the more I think about it the more curious I get.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

steve m

posted on 29/8/12 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
The problem i see, that you could build quite easily a very light rep car, and this would make it very fuel efficient
but the miniute it hits a "normal " rep car Audi/BMW/Merc etc, you would be pulverised by the over engineered build and mass of a car weighing nerly two tons

Steve

morcus

posted on 29/8/12 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
I understand why cars are heavier, and that in a crash in something superlight weight your going to come of worse. I saw my mate Citroen AX after someone hit that, the front of there car got almost to the centre line of the AX in a side on crash, noone was in it fortunatly.

This is all hyperthetical though. Best answer we came up with was Mk2 cavalier, which all of us had experience of but none had driven.

Chippy

posted on 29/8/12 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
As I see it there is no reason that a big car has to be heavy, the main reason that they all are has little to do with "crashability" it more because of all the add ons that the manufacturers seem to think we all need. I guess that a heavy car rides better, but even there if enough effort was put into the design don't see why a light car couldn't be made to do the same. When I was a kid my Dad was a firm Jowet fan and had a few, I think they were called Light Sevens, absolutely gutless but they were very big cars, (in the day), and they weighed next to f**k all, but very comfortable to ride in, but not even a radio, let alone air con, . Alloy bodies on an ash frame, with a horizontaly apposed twin cylinder engine. Happy days! Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

hughpinder

posted on 29/8/12 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
I used to have a 1970s Rover P6/3.5l V8. The official workshop manual says that 1173 kg with all fluids, which is about 150kg less than a focus or 150kg more than a fiesta. The only reason I remember that is because I used it as my PIN for years!
Regards
Hugh

ETA - it had air con and a radio and a full sized spare in that weight too.

[Edited on 29/8/12 by hughpinder]

v8kid

posted on 29/8/12 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
I had of of those as well

However I did not believe the hp figures either and it felt heavier to drive. IIRC around that period the data was highly suspect.

Mk1 cortina would be my choice for light body but I think the question may be aimed at modern cars and they are all heavy sods!

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
l0rd

posted on 29/8/12 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
Renault 21

the 1.4 litre one we have used to be 980KG

yes 1.4 the same as R5 used to have due to tax reasons here in Greece back in the 90s

TAZZMAXX

posted on 29/8/12 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
Vauxhall Zafira is fairly big and weighs just over 1400kg. Lightweight compared to the Ford S-Max at 1900kg.
matt_gsxr

posted on 29/8/12 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
French stuff is normally pretty lightweight.

Pug 405, Citroen BX

MikeRJ

posted on 29/8/12 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
A Rover SD1 V8 Vanden Plas only weighed 1313kg, a Sierra 2.0L Ghia only 1094kg and a 2.0L Mk3 Cavalier about 1048kg.

It's incredible that a new 1.6 Focus weighs around the same as a V8 SD1.

Renault 21 TL 955kg. Pretty decent sized car as well.

[Edited on 29/8/12 by MikeRJ]

morcus

posted on 29/8/12 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
Doesn't have to be modern, but something you could get a drivable example of was more what we were aiming for without it costing the earth.

mark chandler

posted on 29/8/12 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Mercedes did an experiment last year and put a modern engine into a late 80's 190, the car was much much lighter than its modern equivilent and flew !!!
chrisxr2

posted on 29/8/12 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
It must of been going some to have actually taken off.

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Volvorsport

posted on 29/8/12 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
volvo 240 saloon .......
volvo 740 saloon .......

around 1300kgs , estates normally 50-100 kgs heavier

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

Ninehigh

posted on 29/8/12 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
Doesn't have to be modern, but something you could get a drivable example of was more what we were aiming for without it costing the earth.

Since someone mentioned the 405 maybe a 504? Wasn't there a 50something in the 90's?

Then again when you say repmobile what kind of thing are you thinking of?

jollygreengiant

posted on 29/8/12 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Rover P5b 1587kg. Like driving your favourite armchair. But it could hustle, even with an auto box

Also a second for the Mk1 Cortina. (with a modern engine) 787kg

[Edited on 29/8/12 by jollygreengiant]

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

Ninehigh

posted on 29/8/12 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Mercedes did an experiment last year and put a modern engine into a late 80's 190, the car was much much lighter than its modern equivilent and flew !!!

Just been looking around and maybe these would be ideal candidates for a newer engine? It would be interesting at least to see one take off at the lights with the XM's un-sporting look

[Edited on 30/8/12 by Ninehigh]

jollygreengiant

posted on 29/8/12 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler

Just been looking around and maybe these would be ideal candidates for a newer engine? It would be interesting at least to see one take off at the lights with the XM's un-sporting look

How about an XM with an SM engine dropped in it, an SM Maserati engine that is.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

gottabedone

posted on 29/8/12 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Most mid sized cars of 20 years ago were relatively light and still fitted with reasonable engines. The problem is finding a 20-25 yr old car that is still going

Mk2 Cavalier SRi, Ford XR3i and loads of earlier Jap cars went well

Steve

clairetoo

posted on 29/8/12 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
I still have a soft spot for the Alfa 164 - more executive than repmobile , but at just 1500 kgs , all the toys you could want , and Gods own engine...........shame theres so few left

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.