Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Turbo Advice please (zetec)
six mad

posted on 2/9/12 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Turbo Advice please (zetec)

Well I spent the most of the day between the GP, and lots of tea, fitting my turbo to
my zetec.

The car is running without the turbo outlet not connected to the inlet manifold, that plumbing and intercooler fitting will
be fitted another day.

Problem is the turbo is smoking its making boost (blowing air anyway) and sounds ok.

The turbo been rebuilt by the previous owner, bolts gaskets mounting plates all look new from the outside
so what could be wrong bad rebuild seals??

Oh was going to upload a pic, but how??

Thanks in advance

MikeRJ

posted on 2/9/12 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
Do you have the oil drain plumbed in correctly (i.e. vertically downwards, and draining into the sump?
Are the engine breathers clear and routed correctly?
Do you have any required restrictors in the oil feed?

madteg

posted on 2/9/12 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
When is it smoking, on tick over, boost or overun also where about is the smoke coming from, exhaust or compressor side.
six mad

posted on 2/9/12 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Do you have the oil drain plumbed in correctly (i.e. vertically downwards, and draining into the sump?
Are the engine breathers clear and routed correctly?
Do you have any required restrictors in the oil feed?

Yes all plumbed correctly- feed into the top return unto the block just near the flywheel sensor.

No restrictor though its feed from the oil pressure switch position???

six mad

posted on 2/9/12 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by madteg
When is it smoking, on tick over, boost or overun also where about is the smoke coming from, exhaust or compressor side.

Smoking at tick over and on throttle out of the exhaust not as much on overrun.

BigLee

posted on 2/9/12 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Is it just oil residue on the turbo from its rebuild? Mine took about an hour to calm itself after fitting the 1st time.
What turbo is it? Some need restrictions to limit the pressure pushing past the seals. Have you tried any google searches based on the turbo rather than the specific install?

Lee

six mad

posted on 2/9/12 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigLee
Is it just oil residue on the turbo from its rebuild? Mine took about an hour to calm itself after fitting the 1st time.
What turbo is it? Some need restrictions to limit the pressure pushing past the seals. Have you tried any google searches based on the turbo rather than the specific install?

Lee

Thanks Lee it could be residue fingers crossed

The turbo is a series 2 RST unit but the compressor housing is labelled AIR RESEARCH???
I thought it may be a Hybrid of some type?

How do you limit the pressure?

madteg

posted on 2/9/12 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
If your turbo has ball bearings fitted it needs a restricter fitting to the oil feed pipe it cannot run on full oil pressure.
six mad

posted on 3/9/12 at 06:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
If your turbo has ball bearings fitted it needs a restricter fitting to the oil feed pipe it cannot run on full oil pressure.

I am no engineer but I thought if you restrict the oil feed that will only increase the pressure.??

djtom

posted on 3/9/12 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
Air research is what Garrett used to be called back in the day. Sounds like you have got a standard RST turbo, I very much doubt that it's a ball bearing unit, in which case you shouldn't need a restrictor.

It's probably a touch on the small side for the zetec (originally intended for a 1.6l RST engine) but should provide low lag and good response - give it a try and see what you think!

Smoke could be knackered seals (unlikely if it's really been rebuilt) or just oil left over from the rebuild - leave it running for an hour to burn it all off.

Tom

six mad

posted on 3/9/12 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by djtom
Air research is what Garrett used to be called back in the day. Sounds like you have got a standard RST turbo, I very much doubt that it's a ball bearing unit, in which case you shouldn't need a restrictor.

It's probably a touch on the small side for the zetec (originally intended for a 1.6l RST engine) but should provide low lag and good response - give it a try and see what you think!

Smoke could be knackered seals (unlikely if it's really been rebuilt) or just oil left over from the rebuild - leave it running for an hour to burn it all off.

Tom

Yes fingers crossed its residue, no ball bearings in this one, I had an EVO 9 GT with a BB turbo i know
what they sound like.

mcramsay

posted on 3/9/12 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Hello mate, im currently in the planning stages for a turbo conversion on my zetec, is it possible you could up load some pics? also have you blanked off the breather that sits under the exhaust manifold? If so where have you relocated the breather to? Any info would be great! Sorry to hijack your thread!

[Edited on 3/9/12 by mcramsay]

six mad

posted on 4/9/12 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcramsay
Hello mate, im currently in the planning stages for a turbo conversion on my zetec, is it possible you could up load some pics? also have you blanked off the breather that sits under the exhaust manifold? If so where have you relocated the breather to? Any info would be great! Sorry to hijack your thread!

[Edited on 3/9/12 by mcramsay]

Hi no problem, yes oem breather removed and blanked off mine has an 8mm pipe out of it which runs towards the gearbox(its tight behind the turbo) I am going to fit a catch tank next to the header tank.

How do you upload pics?

MikeRJ

posted on 4/9/12 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by six mad
quote:

I am no engineer but I thought if you restrict the oil feed that will only increase the pressure.??

It will increase pressure upstream of the resitrictor, and decrease it downstream (turbo side).

mcramsay

posted on 4/9/12 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks mate, I'm not sure what you mean? You have blanked off the oem one by the engine mount on the exhaust side, where is this 8mm pipe attached to the block, if I u2u my email address can you send me some pics?
six mad

posted on 4/9/12 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcramsay
Thanks mate, I'm not sure what you mean? You have blanked off the oem one by the engine mount on the exhaust side, where is this 8mm pipe attached to the block, if I u2u my email address can you send me some pics?

The 8mm pipe is drilled through/welded onto the blanking plate this is then piped to the oil catch tank.

Yes send your email i will take a pic for you.

mcramsay

posted on 4/9/12 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers mate, u2u sent
six mad

posted on 4/9/12 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
quote:

It will increase pressure upstream of the resitrictor, and decrease it downstream (turbo side).

Arrh ok thanks for the confirmation

ss1turbo

posted on 5/9/12 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
The car is running without the turbo outlet not connected to the inlet manifold, that plumbing and intercooler fitting will
be fitted another day.

Never a good idea to run it unconnected at any more than tickover IMHO - no restriction to the outlet air which could quite easily overspeed the turbo and destroy it in next to no time

Long live RWD...

six mad

posted on 5/9/12 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ss1turbo
quote:
be fitted another day.

Never a good idea to run it unconnected at any more than tickover IMHO - no restriction to the outlet air which could quite easily overspeed the turbo and destroy it in next to no time

Interesting I did not know that thanks for the heads up.

six mad

posted on 6/9/12 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Update.

Had the car running again tonight and the smoking has stopped.

Still smoking a little from the outside of the turbo from oil residue, its amazed me how long it has taken to burn away.!!

Anyway on to the next job

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.