Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Vinyle Wray
Black Cat

posted on 3/9/12 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Vinyle Wray

Vinyl Wrap.

Was there a vinyl wrap demonstration at Donnington, and if so was it a seven, did it look good, how much would it cost and anybody got any details of the company as I was unable to make the show?

Regards

sa-fabrication

posted on 3/9/12 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
not to my knowlege.
are you looking to have viynil wrapping done on your vehicle?

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

RK

posted on 3/9/12 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
EBay to car wrapping vinyl; You Tube for learning how to put it on your car. Anything fancier, you have to look for companies that do it for vans/buses etc. Those guys can cost a fortune.
sky12042

posted on 3/9/12 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
I didn't see a demo, but there was a seven with a BMW m3 engine in that had a vinyl rap done on it, it was also in one of the mags a while ago.

It used a silver 3m dinoc vinyl and was quite suttle.

Andy

femster87

posted on 3/9/12 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sky12042
I didn't see a demo, but there was a seven with a BMW m3 engine in that had a vinyl rap done on it, it was also in one of the mags a while ago.

It used a silver 3m dinoc vinyl and was quite suttle.

Andy

Thats franky on here's old car

[Edited on 3/9/12 by femster87]

Black Cat

posted on 4/9/12 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
Vinyle Wrap

Yes, was thinking about covering my Tiger Avon with a carbon fibre effect wrap.

Thought I saw something a few weeks ago in a magazine that there was going to be a demonstration at Donnington.

Didn’t think the nose cone, cycle wings and the bonnet would be too much of a problem but was concerned about doing the whole body part as the Avon's rear wings are moulded as part of the body and are not detectable.

This would mean wrapping, I assume from the rear of the car around to the front end and trying to join the two side parts of the wrap together over the scuttle. That just leaves the rear archers which would have to be done independently with a join where they abut the body. This could be covered with a chrome trim.

If the join over the scuttle was a problem, I could add a strip down the middle to cover this.

The only other possible issue could be getting the carbon fibre effect to match up where they meet with the detachable panels or would the carbon fibre effect pattern be too small to be of any concern?

Any thoughts?

Regards

Slimy38

posted on 4/9/12 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Make sure you take a look at what a car looks like when covered with carbon wrap. I had considered doing it myself, then I saw what they look like and went right off the idea.

With regards to your plan, don't have joins on any panels, even with plain vinyl you'll see the join and it'll be blatantly obvious with the carbon fibre weave. If anything, wrap the scuttle in one piece, then wrap the sides in another, preserving the natural join between the scuttle and the sides. And it'll also mean you can remove the scuttle if you need to at a later date.

The rear wings will need a join I guess, I can't really think of a nice way to do it. I would perhaps consider ending the vinyl on the sides and just having black rear wings?

The carbon panel is made up of tiny squares, but the overall effect is a much larger geometric pattern that makes everything VERY easy to see.

I'll try and find the picture that made me nearly vomit, I'm sure it was on here somewhere. I think it was a noble or something, entirely made up of the real stuff but looking like a big jigsaw puzzle.

blakep82

posted on 4/9/12 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
thing with carbon wrap, is it NEVER looks like real carbon fibre, and as such, imo, makes the whole thing look like mutton dressed as lamb. think it can easily make a VERY nice looking car look cheap, and a wannabe to be honest.
if you want a change of colour and don't want to paint, vinyl wrap it, but i think carbon effect vinyl can ruin a car very easily.
works "ok" to cover small things, like tial light surrounds, or wing mirrors, but thats about it

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Black Cat

posted on 5/9/12 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks chaps for your thoughts. Looks as if it's going to be a re-spray then.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.