Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Vauxhall MV6 engine transplant - what's involved?
mcg

posted on 5/9/12 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Vauxhall MV6 engine transplant - what's involved?

Following on from this threads:

thread

I am getting close to making a decision on a replacement engine for my 2.0 8v vaux unit.

I am looking at getting a donor vehicle so that I can get the v5 and sell of parts to cover my costs. I am looking at either a V6 unit or redtop unit.

I understand that the ignition loom from any red top donor is separate so the removal from donor and installation into my kit car should be fairly straight forward.

My question is though, what is involved with transplanting one of the 2.5, or 3.0 V6 units? Can anyone give me a top line breakdown of what is involved? My biggest concern is that the ECU and ignition loom is so integrated into the car, and reliant on so many sensors that it is a real problem to extract all the right parts and transfer into the kit car.

Below is the sort of thing that I have been following:

Vauxhall Omega MV6 | eBay

Any help would be massively appreciated!

I of course need to check dimensions of the V6 units for fitting in my engine bay!

Cheers

Matt

stevebubs

posted on 5/9/12 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Pretty sure it can be extracted with the relevant gubbins without too much difficulty

Google the following terms:

x25xe kit car
x30xe kit car

Lots to read!

ss1turbo

posted on 5/9/12 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
Not that much to extract from the car loom to be honest - most of it is permanent and ignition lives. From memory, the only wires you keep (minimum) after the 2 twist-plugs:

Oil pressure light
ECU fault lamp
2 or 3 wires to the diagnostic connector
Immobiliser changes from model to model, but can be as simple as one wire from the immobiliser to the engine loom (plus its own supply and earth connections).
Reverse lights
Fuel pump (already relayed by then, so add a fuse and go).

Rest of the wires are live, ignition supply or earths. I'm assuming you're not fussed by low coolant/oil level sensors and the like....

With the car loom on the floor and a copy of the Haynes manual, took not much more than an hour to end up with a pile of "keep" wires. Just make sure you label them thoroughly as to their original locations as there's a habit of using certain wire colours repeatedly for different functions...especially when it comes to the diagnostic connector!

Long live RWD...

mcg

posted on 5/9/12 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the comments- i shall start reading! Seems possible though!
ss1turbo

posted on 5/9/12 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
I have to confess mine isn't running yet and it looks to be an immobiliser issue - but I didn't remove the setup from a car so can't be 100% sure its the right bits...

Long live RWD...

mcg

posted on 5/9/12 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
that's definitely the sort of thing I am nervous about!

quote:
Originally posted by ss1turbo
I have to confess mine isn't running yet and it looks to be an immobiliser issue - but I didn't remove the setup from a car so can't be 100% sure its the right bits...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.