Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Making a front splitter from mdf
Davegtst

posted on 7/9/12 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Making a front splitter from mdf

Got a bit bored today so i started making a front splitter. I made a a template out of 12mm mdf. I was just wondering how well mdf would stand up if it was painted a few times then possibly covered in carbon cloth and resin. Alternativly what else could i make one out of?
puma931

posted on 7/9/12 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
I would not use MDF as it is too heavy. Best to use marine ply, Ally or fibreglass.
RK

posted on 7/9/12 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Plywood? MDF will hold moisture too, though won't it? Unless you cover with paint and/or resin at least.
StevieB

posted on 7/9/12 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
I would have thought foam core material would be the best then laminate with c/f or woven roving.

Don't forget that if it isn't mounted in a way that will take a lot of weight on top of it, then it will be next to useless (unless you just want it for the looks).

Alternatively, use this for inspiration (or buy it and fit it) Linky

maccmike

posted on 7/9/12 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
if you can afford it do it in carbon. if not use fiber glass.
wjp004 on you tube does some great tutorials including a rear diffuser.

rachaeljf

posted on 7/9/12 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
Ply coated with glass fibre is a tried and tested boat building method. It's what I've done for the front spoiler/radiator cowl on one of my cars.
v8kid

posted on 7/9/12 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
Also check out the West System of epoxy coating ply - strong, waterproof, cheap, easy and fairly light.

You can use thinner ply and glue strakes on to it to make it stiff easily. With a bit of thought the strakes can also have an aero function

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Simon

posted on 7/9/12 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Do it properly, make a buck, a mould then do a final version.

It'll be so much more satisfying from every point of view

ATB

Simon

Davegtst

posted on 7/9/12 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
I want it to be a functional splitter as the whole underside will be panneled flat it has to look good aswell and carbon fibre will match a few other parts on my car. I've had a read up about splitters so i know they need to at least 15mm thick and pretty much strong enough to stand on. I have some spare carbon cloth from another project that ended up in a bit of a mess so it would be nice to use that. Is there a certain type of resin that i would need to use for carbon? Would ply be any different to mdf if it was covered in resin and airtight?
unijacko67

posted on 7/9/12 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Don’t use MDF it accepts moisture over the years, even when inside. I’ve ripped a few kitchens out with MDF doors in a lived in environment and cant believe how heavy it gets compared to a bit of MDF that’s new and it isn’t light to start with.

http://www.kittenkitcar.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MK9R

posted on 7/9/12 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
Some proper birch ply is a good option. We made a grp front splitter using 3 layers of 300, which worked well but after the last bump we decided just to use ply as it was quicker and easier. We used 4mm birch ply (not the poo from b&q) and its about the same weight and same strength as the grp.

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

Hopley89

posted on 7/9/12 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
marine ply is your best option as it is resistant to water as it is made with resin inbertween each layer

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.