Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cambelt idler failure
jeffw

posted on 10/9/12 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Cambelt idler failure

Out on a nice run with the Southern Kit Car Club yesterday (with Son in passenger seat) when the engine stopped at a junction near the A26. An attempt to re-start had metallic top end noises....so lifted the bonnet to find

You can see the failure of the idler pulley which has allowed the cambelt to jump in the pictures. Without the Supercharger frame I think it would have been gone completely.

4 hrs for the AA to recover the car allowed a lot of time to reflect. Less than 500 miles since the cambelt was changed when the engine was rebuilt and the idler pulley has failed....not happy bunny.

I can't imagine the idler is under any more strain than it would be in the orginal vehicle (?) so maybe I've just been unlucky (again). Likely to be head/pistons/valves at a guess...

Davegtst

posted on 10/9/12 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
Was the idler changed with the cambelt? I never fit a cambelt without changing the idlers and tensioners now unless the customer specifically tells me not to. I had a nasty experience on a focus once that cost me a fortune and a lot of stress to put right.
jeffw

posted on 10/9/12 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
I don't know is the easy answer. The whole engine is only 5K old so worse case the idler has that many miles on it although you would expect it to be less than 500 miles. I'll find out this morning...

jollygreengiant

posted on 10/9/12 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
I don't know is the easy answer. The whole engine is only 5K old so worse case the idler has that many miles on it although you would expect it to be less than 500 miles. I'll find out this morning...

I'm afraid its the old story, you change the cambelt and no matter how hard you try to get it the same, you end up with a different tension. Plus it was probably being driven with a bit more gusto than it was used to.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

ashg

posted on 10/9/12 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
oh dear jeff your not having much luck with the car at the moment.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

jeffw

posted on 10/9/12 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Pulleys where changed with the belt (500 miles ago). Looks like one of those things. At least I have ARP studs so it doesn't need new stretch bolts this time. We will be able to skim the head to increase the CR as well.

Hopefully it will only be the valves as it happened at idle and I'll not need new pistons.

Fatgadget

posted on 10/9/12 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
Pulleys where changed with the belt (500 miles ago). Looks like one of those things. At least I have ARP studs so it doesn't need new stretch bolts this time. We will be able to skim the head to increase the CR as well.

Hopefully it will only be the valves as it happened at idle and I'll not need new pistons.

Valves and pistons getting up close and personal when something breaks in the linkage, one can never predict the seriousness of the outcome sadly.

daviep

posted on 10/9/12 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
That's a sickener

It may be an optical illusion but the idler doesn't look as if it sitting properly against the block, as if the bolt has come slack?

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

Andy S

posted on 10/9/12 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daviep
That's a sickener

It may be an optical illusion but the idler doesn't look as if it sitting properly against the block, as if the bolt has come slack?

Cheers
Davie

Just what I was thinking

perksy

posted on 10/9/12 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
That's a sickener

Cheers
Davie

Was just thinking that myself

Is the bolt loose ?

RickRick

posted on 10/9/12 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
goes with the damage to the outside of the pulley too
ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 10/9/12 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like a bent or misaligned idler pulley bolt/or idler to me!
hicost

posted on 10/9/12 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Pistons

When you pull it apart, can you get away with putting a pocket on the pistons for the valves, that way it will inimise the damage if it happens again.

Best of luck

James

"I cant do that without accidentally grabbing hold of the work of the divine potter"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jeffw

posted on 10/9/12 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
It has forged HC pistons with pockets in them already. Also port/polished head with large valves & high lift cams.

The Idler pulley has failed causing the belt to jump. Just how or why it has failed remains to be seen.

ashg

posted on 10/9/12 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
looks like the bolt has come loose to me.

unfortunately jeff it may be a case of the age old saying. "If you want the job done properly do it yourself." failing that have you thought about getting dick to have a look at it? i don't know of a person that has a bad word to say about him,and he is one of the very few people that i would allow to touch one of my cars.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

jeffw

posted on 11/9/12 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
I think you maybe correct

jeffw

posted on 11/9/12 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
And today I ran over something on the M25 which has buckled the 19" alloy on the Jag. I had to change the wheel on the side of the motorway for one of those stupid space savers and then gone on to Birmingham. New wheel and tyre will be required

six mad

posted on 11/9/12 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
Oh thats Bad luck, hope you get it sorted soon.

I would suspect as the belt tension has become slack, this has allowed the cambelt to ride on the top of the pulley
causing the belt to become very tight which in turn has bent the idler pulley mounting bolt.

This could have been caused by incorrect tension on the cam belt in the first place.

daviep

posted on 11/9/12 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by six mad

I would suspect as the belt tension has become slack, this has allowed the cambelt to ride on the top of the pulley
causing the belt to become very tight which in turn has bent the idler pulley mounting bolt.

This could have been caused by incorrect tension on the cam belt in the first place.

Wouldn't be my first guess as to probable cause, not sure which pulley you think it would ride on to the top of?

Ever heard of Occam's razor?

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

snakebelly

posted on 11/9/12 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Am i seeing things or is there a hairline crack radiating from behind the tensioner bolt at approx 3 o'clock?
six mad

posted on 11/9/12 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Wouldn't be my first guess as to probable cause, not sure which pulley you think it would ride on to the top of?

Cheers
Davie

Nah, I use Gillette

Tooth on tooth- cam belt against exhaust cam pulley, The belt is even trying to ride the pulley in the pic.

jeffw

posted on 18/9/12 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Idler had seized/failed and then bent the bolt holding it on :shock:

Damage is 4 exhaust valves and 2 inlet, guides are fine and the pistons have some very minor marks..

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 18/9/12 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
Now you need to why it happened!!!!
Nick DV

posted on 18/9/12 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Cheers
Davie

I agree with you Davie, it wouldn't be my first thought. Probably nothing more than a manufacturing problem with the pulley.

Yes, I have heard of Occam's Razor - many years ago in 6th form - but more recently from Jodie Foster in the film 'Contact!'

Geoff, bad luck but I hope you get it sorted soon.

Cheers, Nick

"The force will be with you, always!"

jeffw

posted on 18/9/12 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
There is going to be a metal idler fitted which should alleviate the issue happening again.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.