Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: setting camber
mcramsay

posted on 21/9/12 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
setting camber

hey guys, im trying to get the suspension set up on my zero, and i am struggling a little bit. i have spent the day doing various bits on the suspension, i have set the ride heights as per the company specification, of 145mm at the rear and 135 at the front.

the problem i have found(and im not sure if it is a problem or not!) is when i was ajusting the camber. with the car on the garage floor (i put a spirit level across to make sure it was horizontal. and all the tire pressures exactly the same, i measured using the magnetic camber guage on the inside of the brake disk. the drivers side was +1 degrees, so i popped the ball joint out, wound it in until i got a reading of -0.5 degrees) as you can see below :

the gauge says it is a positive reading, but because i have the gauge on the wrong side of the brake disk everything flips around, so positive is actaully negattive

the gauge mounted on the passenger side was adjusted to a similar camber angle as you can see below

however i decided to measure the exposed thread on the ball joint to the wishbone, to make sure each side was equal, however they are not, the picture below shows where i am measuring from using a set of calipers: this picture shows the drivers side : as you can see i measuring from the end of the threaded part of the ball joint casting, to the tip of the wishbone:

however on the passenger side the gap is much smaller

so the drivers side has a gap of 20mm and the passenger side has a gap of 15mm yet the camber angles each side are the same? the wishbones are the same length either side,

how does that work, where am i going wrong?

or does it not matter, as long as the camber is the same either side? i suppose it all depends how accuratley the chassis was made by GBSC

if any one has any tips for setting up the suspension please let me know, i have bought a gunson trackrite for trying to set the toe in, at the moment it looks like i have 0.5 toe in either side, does that sound correct?

MultiQuote
Delete
Edit

Chippy

posted on 21/9/12 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, the gaps are not that important, it happens with cars like ours. Not sure regarding the toe setting, I do mine in mm's by measuring the wheels front and back, I settle for 1 to 2 mm toe in, which seems to suit my car. HTH Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

mcramsay

posted on 21/9/12 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
That's good to know, I suppose it depends how well put together the chassis is, and how accurate the suspension mounting points are
ashg

posted on 21/9/12 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
how flat is your garage floor? if your garage floor isnt 100% perfectly flat and level those cheap gages are next to useless.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

unijacko67

posted on 21/9/12 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
I would think if there's only 5mm difference ie 20mm-15mm its only 2.5mm each side so I would think its very good. Does seem like you have just about run out of adjustment though.

http://www.kittenkitcar.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcramsay

posted on 21/9/12 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
The garage floor is not perfect, but its not far off, I'm not sure how else I can do it to be honest! I'm going to make up but of box section that will sit across the flats of the wheel, rather than go off the brake disk,
ashg

posted on 21/9/12 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
get one of these. put a long straight level across the garage floor in front of the front wheels. sit this on top and zero it, you have now compensated for the floor being out and can measure off the discs or the wheels using a bar up against the wheel rim

then repeat for the rears.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/gemred-digital-bevel-box-prod564900/

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

mcramsay

posted on 21/9/12 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
So basically calibrate this device to the garage floor and then use this to set the camber? Sounds good! The rears can only be adjusted by camber shims.
mark chandler

posted on 22/9/12 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
I,m a bit tighter than that, I used 4 slabs, one for each corner then using sand packed them out until completely level to a spirit level, then stuck the car upon them.

Adjusters will never be a perfect match side to side, nothing to worry about.

posted on 22/9/12 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg
get one of these. put a long straight level across the garage floor in front of the front wheels. sit this on top and zero it, you have now compensated for the floor being out and can measure off the discs or the wheels using a bar up against the wheel rim

then repeat for the rears.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/gemred-digital-bevel-box-prod564900/

+1 for the above.

These little tools seem to crop up with differing names, a bit like welders or band saws.

I have the Wixey one. I use it when folding sheet on my box & pan, and also for cutting compound angles on my saw.
Dead handy tool.

eBay Item

Paul G

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 22/9/12 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
5mm tolerance stack over an entire welded chassis and wishbone set is pretty damn good, thats like saying that each front wishbone, the entire front of the chassis, the inner and outer ball joints/bushes are only <0.5mm out each. I wouldn't worry at all.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
britishtrident

posted on 22/9/12 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
Remember corner heights and driver & passenger weights have an effect on camber. Set the suspension up in its normally loaded stated ie with driver on board.

If the chassis isn't sitting parallel to the floor level in the transverse plane ( in simple terms if the chassis leans towards one side ) then you can't get a true reading of the cambers.

[Edited on 22/9/12 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.