Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Van for private useage
Simon

posted on 27/9/12 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Van for private useage

Chaps,

Hypothetically, is there a way to buy a van for private use, but avoid (legally) paying the vat, like using it for a tiny bit of work.

Also, anyone using a van for their own use - any probs, like getting in and out of multi storey car parks. Vaguely thinking about a Vivaro own crewcab for me mountain biking etc etc.

Cheers

Simon

slingshot2000

posted on 27/9/12 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
There is probably no way around the VAT, but another hitch you may want to look out for is the insurance. If you have a recognised trade you will have no trouble getting insurance for a decent/sensible amount. If the insurance cannot see a reason for you needing a van, they may not play ball.

My van insurance was due in August. The company who have covered it for the last two years contacted me in July and offered to re-insure it for £75.00 LESS than last year.

Good luck

Jon

jossey

posted on 27/9/12 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
theoretically you could setup a company and claim the vat back on the van and use it for company use then close the company.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mookaloid

posted on 27/9/12 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
you cant buy a new van (or car) without paying VAT

if you are VAT registered you may be able to claim VAT back on a van.

if you are buying a used van then it depends on the person that you are buying it from. if they are VAT registered then they have to charge VAT but if they are not registered then they don't charge it. some times dealers sell non VAT attracting used vans because they bought them from someone non VAT registered.

hope that helps

cheers

Mooky

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

JoelP

posted on 27/9/12 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
you cannot claim back vat if it is entirely for personal use. The moment that you submitted your first vat return with expenses but no income, they would investigate you.

I dont think insurance would be a problem, if you had 4 kids then of course you need a 6 seater. It does make a good family bus, and mine gets over 30mpg even when thrashed.

I should point out that my second gearbox broke today! Had to drive 30 miles in 3rd...

[Edited on 27/9/12 by JoelP]

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

designer

posted on 27/9/12 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

theoretically you could setup a company and claim the vat back on the van and use it for company use then close the company.

Then the VAT man will be asking for his money back.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
austin man

posted on 27/9/12 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a VW T5 no Vat it does depend on the seller, Insurance was £450 for a 1.9 TD renewed this year with declared Mods, suspension drop and conversion to campervan renewal £383 fully comp. Height wise a 1.9 multi story is a no go hence next mod couilovers to give me more clearance. The T5 is an amazing vehicle drive like a car plus its a good looking thing in my opinion

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

hillbillyracer

posted on 27/9/12 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
I've ran various vans over the years for my personal use but always bought second hand, the only one I've had to pay VAT on was the VW T4 I have now which I bought straight out of the disposal sale from the AA & there was no real way around it.
Never had problems getting insurance but there are companies that will not insure vans so check that doesnt affect you if you're not up for renewal for a while.
As for multi-stories I hardly use them but the VW is the tallest van I've had & it came with the AA flashing lightbar still on the roof, it was made so the lightbar could be pulled from its mounting & hinged down onto the rear doors for access to areas of restricted height.

marcjagman

posted on 27/9/12 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
I had a Duato, went in a multi story no problem so you will be fine with a Vivaro. Lots of insurance companies will take a van on private insurance, just tell them you do a lot of outdoor activities like mountain biking or scrambling. Not as hard as it was to insure a van and if you will be doing less than say 12000 miles it could be cheaper than a car.
austin man

posted on 27/9/12 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marcjagman
I had a Duato, went in a multi story no problem so you will be fine with a Vivaro. Lots of insurance companies will take a van on private insurance, just tell them you do a lot of outdoor activities like mountain biking or scrambling. Not as hard as it was to insure a van and if you will be doing less than say 12000 miles it could be cheaper than a car.

Not all multi storeys are the same height restriction . The 1.9 restriction sign caught on the roof of my T5 running standard suspension and 16" wheels I can get in a 2.1 metre high entrance without a problem it still looks close through the sunroof

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

splitrivet

posted on 27/9/12 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid

if you are buying a used van then it depends on the person that you are buying it from. if they are VAT registered then they have to charge VAT but if they are not registered then they don't charge it. some times dealers sell non VAT attracting used vans because they bought them from someone non VAT registered.

hope that helps

cheers

Mooky

That doesnt fly if they are VAT registered they have to charge VAT regardless if they paid VAT initially thats why its called VAT.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Peteff

posted on 28/9/12 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
I used to have a problem insuring my Nissan Vanette with seats and windows fitted as standard. Only the co-op would touch it private but they were reasonable. A friend of mine has a Vivaro with 5 seats which he uses as a car and that causes insurance problems as well.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

mcerd1

posted on 28/9/12 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
my brother runs a transit as his car (no work use)
insurance is the killer, he pays ~£200 more than I do for my focus
he asked for a quote to add a window in the back and the price doubled (cheapest price he could find)

-

phelpsa

posted on 28/9/12 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
If you're over 25, register it as a motorcaravan

coozer

posted on 28/9/12 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
I wanted a van but went for a Doblo MPV, ripped the rear seats out and hey presto!

The van tax is higher than an mpv so I've saved some cash and the inside is clean and trimmed unlike most second hand vans!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

JoelP

posted on 28/9/12 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by splitrivet
quote:

hope that helps

cheers

Mooky

That doesnt fly if they are VAT registered they have to charge VAT regardless if they paid VAT initially thats why its called VAT.
Cheers,
Bob

Doesnt sound right but maybe im reading it wrong. I'm vat registered. If i buy a second hand van that is sold as 'no vat', that means that whoever bought it new wasnt vat registered and thus didnt claim it back. I cant claim back the vat because the person i buy it off cannot give me a vat receipt. When i sell it on, it will still be sold as 'no vat', because the vat has been paid when new and never claimed back.

[Edited on 28/9/12 by JoelP]

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

mookaloid

posted on 29/9/12 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by splitrivet
quote:

hope that helps

cheers

Mooky

Cheers,
Bob

In the Motor Trade its not as simple as that.

Have a look at a few used van sales web sites - some will have the price plus VAT and some will have no VAT on the purchase price. The ones which don't attract VAT are actually worth a little more because they are a better buy for a non VAT registered buyer (as there is no VAT on the purchase price).

The dealer does however hand over VAT on the profit he makes - this is called The Margin Scheme and it applies to used cars and vans which were not bought form VAT registered persons.

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.