Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT: 7 day heater timer
Pdlewis

posted on 8/10/12 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
OT: 7 day heater timer

I know we have some heating engineers on here so thought i put this question out to you lot...

I have a warm air heating system in my house (not ideal but not worth changing because of the value of our house and stamp duty threasholds) it has a maniacal timer control on it the old push pin out to make it go on and off. I was wondering if anyone knew if it was alot of work to get a digital 7 day timer unit instead. I just got a cracking 7 day digital immersion control for a bathroom rad and cant fault it which made me think this crappy current timer just isnt upto the job as we end up having to manually turn if on and off at the weekend

Build Photo Album

Updated 05/02/2009

bob tatt

posted on 8/10/12 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Pretty simple job to be fair, all you need to make the timer work is a live neutral. Common and switch live.
All of which should be there already so just a case of slight alteration
Hope this helps rob

BenB

posted on 8/10/12 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
You don't even need that much. You can get something like a Salus 7 day programmable timer which just needs some to switch IE a feed and return. Should take all of about five minutes to put on the wall and 10 to program.
Agriv8

posted on 8/10/12 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
Exactly the same sytem in my house and I would take warm air over radiators any day of the week .

the way I am working

My Hot air system runs on 24 volts rather than 240v. so I got a 7 day timmer and I run a 240 volt relay where the 24 hour timer used to be. The 240 relay then makes or breaks the 24v that goes to the thermosts to decide if we are going 'HIT the burners' the 7 day timer has all the nice features advance on 1 twice ext ext. but the main one is the +1 hour function which reduces the gas bill considerably.

if I was doing it again i would do it this way

Stick the current timer onto constant and let this unit sort the rest out ( though not fully checked it will work with a 24v system ).

http://www.screwfix.com/p/drayton-digistat-2-room-thermostat/24142

ATB Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Pdlewis

posted on 8/10/12 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
That sounds perfect I was just looking at the data sheet below and looks like it can run off battery and just switch a feed but would be handy if someone also cast their eye over it?

http://www.draytoncontrols.co.uk/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=10376

Build Photo Album

Updated 05/02/2009

bob tatt

posted on 8/10/12 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
That's what you need and Drayton are decent quality as well, if avoid the cheaper stuff like salus.
Rob

Pdlewis

posted on 11/10/12 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Muchos thanks the digistat 2 arrived today simple plug and play works a treat

Build Photo Album

Updated 05/02/2009

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.