Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Problems with Pinto with piper 285 cam
bluephil19781

posted on 13/10/12 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Problems with Pinto with piper 285 cam

I bought a Mac 1 with a pinto 2.0 (bored out to 2.1) which has had a piper 285 cam fitted, along with a modified camshaft pulley. Engine seemed to be misfiring so took the rocker cover off to discover a follower has come off its spring so wasn't in contact with the camshaft (answers the misfire!) doesn't look like its caused any damage though.
My question is any idea why has this happened after it has been running fine? Also as I didn't do the original build/ engine upgrade I don't know if followers/springs etc were upgraded at the same time as the camshaft, any idea how I would tell? The main question I guess is how to avoid this happening again? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

mookaloid

posted on 13/10/12 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
has a valve been sticking open? I wonder if that might be the cause.

I wouldn't just pop it back on and hope for the best in case it happens again and causes real damage.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

bluephil19781

posted on 13/10/12 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
No the valve is closed, no I want to do it right but confused by not knowing what's been put in there and what would need changing after this happened
bluephil19781

posted on 13/10/12 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry get what you mean now, don't think the valve was sticking as it was running fine, heads coming off so can investigate further
old_timbo

posted on 13/10/12 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe the follower pillar worked loose. I've had them do this before if they are not really tight. I just had a bad rattle, but if it goes far enough the follower can jump out.
GOJO

posted on 13/10/12 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Has it got uprated valve springs to suit? Or double springs fitted? If not valve bounce may be the cause.
ditchlewis

posted on 14/10/12 at 12:03 AM Reply With Quote
As old timbo says the pillar/ locking nut will have come loose and the follower came off. Happened to me, put it back on and put a new retaining clip/ spring on it and it has run perfectly for the last few thousand miles.

Ditch

Jon Ison

posted on 14/10/12 at 12:18 AM Reply With Quote
It's not unheard of for a pinto to spat a follower out, at best the valve gear is best described as agricultural.

I wouldn't take the head off for this (unless you have other reasons to warrant it coming off) refit, recheck/set all the clearances and forget about it.

snapper

posted on 14/10/12 at 03:53 AM Reply With Quote
It's fiddly but you can locktight the ball stud and lock nut
Valve springs can only be tested in a valve spring test rig, a pillar type spring compressor with a guage.
The only other way is to measure the valve spring installed height against the manufacturers spec
Most 285 Pinto cams use single valve springs on standard spring seats

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

bluephil19781

posted on 14/10/12 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
At the same time I had frothy coffee in the header tank and water was pressurised so heads coming off so I can check for any damage at the same time. Pretty sure I got away with it as it was running before I discovered the follower had moved, on that matter would you recommend getting head skimmed as a matter of course or see what its like when off before deciding? Thanks for the replies, grateful for your help!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.